Discuss today's comic: The Saga Continues

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

Postby Braidboy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:35 am

Barrett (like many die hards) is mostly tore up because of the choice to go with 3D rather than sprites.

The choice to go with 3D characters and 3D backgrounds kind of makes the game little different than say... tekken or virtua fighter. All of those games have "2D" fighting pretty much. Aside from the side step which breaks the 'left to right' gameplay.

A true 3D fighter to me... I think more of power stone or Ehrgeiz (or however the hell you spell it). But you know those just don't have the rapid fire back and forth of games that feature "2D" combat (smash bros, tekken, soul calibur etc).

The KOF series felt great to me too. The characters really made the transition well to 3D and the speed was there too!

Ah, but nostalgia makes us want a true next gen 2D street fighter. Ya know... HD sprites. Some 'puppet animation'. Highly animated. I dunno. Heard the new KOF 12 was going to be something on that track. HD sprites. No recycling. All new hand drawn everything. That... That'd just be too good to be true. Now if only Street fighter would do the same!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Braidboy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Gotta try and wake this thread back up. Here goes...

Ahem, So I had the pleasure of beating the new devil may cry 4 this weekend. I really did enjoy it. Nero was different enough to be interesting (the grab animations were over the top and fun to pull off *especially against bosses). As a character I actually have no problems with Nero. They didn't really explain him well enough to me. I don't wanna be to spoiler-tastic so I'll just say a little more detail woulda been welcome.

Of course your time with Dante was far far too short, but alas... it was fucking wicked. Even if you did spend your time simply retracing your way backwards through the old levels fighting the old bosses. You were doing it as Dante and it was damn fun.

I made the strip about the shittiness of Mission 19 though because it just felt horrid. It wasn't so much about the challenge as the lack of fun. I managed to clear it in 30 min (which earned me an S rank for time), but it was not really fun.

As barrett explained you are forced to move a pawn across colored dots and landing on a red dot leads to enemies appearing. No big deal. What sucks is that the dots are lined in a loop. YES, you can over roll your goal and end up having to go back through the loop again. And there are yellow dots that landing on them just sends you to the goal, but it's just too unnecessary. Also when you get to the goal you go to a boss encounter. 5 times... That's right, you beat the bosses once as nero, then again as dante, and here you are fighting them for a 3rd time as nero. The whole experience was just unnecessary and the game didn't need it.

So damn. That warranted a strip. But honestly the rest of the game was money. It was a little easy really. They have higher difficulty settings tho so no biggie. Hilariously it rewards you with the message "Congratulations! You're no casual gamer!" when you beat it in normal mode. This really is a Devil May Cry for beginners so it's a great jump on point. Long time fans may be left wanting (we always want more dante time), but it's still solid and was fun.

Um... So that was actually kinda a devil may cry 4 impression PLUS a strip commentary. Ah well. Make some noise people.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Discuss today's comic: The Saga Continues

Postby Braidboy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 am

Todays comic OUGHT to be up. It was uploaded in plenty of time. I'm emailing the Cros for word from the top. Just keep checking back is all I can say.

Eh ignore that... Crosby is the world's fastest CEO! He had that baby up within seconds of my emailing him. Ninja!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Braidboy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Well it's no duh. Today's Godmode is about Smash Bros. Brawl (wii). Man... That game is so fucking wonderful. It has flaws. I'm not so blinded that I don't notice what feels like excessive load times sometimes. I mean between menu items even! But there's so much GOOD there that who could give a shit less?

I won't waste time with praise. You either know it to be great or you are somehow in denial. I will say that I spent 10+ hours with it on day one. Damn it's simple, but oh so fun. Also I'm enjoying the co-op mode. It's great when your girlfriend gets bored and she can just jump in. Excellent stuff. Oops... More praise.. Let's see. Oh yes.

GODMODE is going 3 times a week again. I know I know. I let you down. I'm sorry. But I was getting my insurance lisence and that's a fucking bitch if you've never tried. Anyway it needs to be updated 3 times a week. So things are as they should be. Expect more gaming humor and hey hell, let's include some character driven stuff too. Why not?

Okay. That's all I can stand to type. Smash bros is calling my name!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Braidboy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 am

Hmmmm.... I'm contacting Crosby. The comic oughta be up so we'll see what happens. Keep Checkin'!

EDIT: Okay! It's up now. 3 times a week resumes now.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GUIGUI on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:49 am

The power of Smash bros brawl is so great it make Godmode come back to a Mon-wed-fryday update schedule. Great!
Give the french fries back to Belgium!
GUIGUI
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no it's not the france, trust me)

Postby Braidboy on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 am

I lazily admit this was the easiest godmode ever. I only wish they could all be echochrome comics!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Backe on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:35 am

Ehm, could someone please tell me what the comic from March 19th was about? Is it a game, or just another pervert imagination of Marceline about brutal violence without any reason :)
Backe
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:12 am

Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Backe on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Cool, thanks. Damn, gotta find a cheap PS3 :)
Backe
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Teamgiza on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:27 pm

That Dark Toon Link always freaked me out.
Teamgiza
Keenspot Despot

Postby moorg on Fri May 23, 2008 2:28 am

I feel safer knowing that Kraig carries heat on him in case of crazy psycho cats. :P
moorg
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 am

UPDATE: Oops! The answer was on his blog! He's having some hella computer problems so he couldn't update. Anyways the new comic will be up next wednesday. Sorry for the hullabaloo.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Braidboy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 am

ha ha. Love the lego strip.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Hazama Itsuru on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 am

Left 4 Dead. Good. Bathroom humor. Not so good. Drop the fourth and fifth panels and this could actually be good. As is, it takes too long to get anywhere.
Hazama Itsuru
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:31 am

I thought today's comic was sweet. A surprising change of pace.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DrkFire666 on Sun May 09, 2010 11:49 pm

This is the first time I've LOL'ed at God Mode in two years. Like the new art, last panel is priceless. Tory isn't a redhead anymore but glad to see Barrett back as the whipping boy. Agree about the 3D thing, both in movies and in games. There does seem to be a rather disturbing trend toward shine over substance. Look at FFXIII, you can polish a turd all you want but that doesn't change what it is. I used to actually like that series back when I was a teenager (oh FFIV & VI were so long ago). As for movies, I can't remember the last time I was moved by a film... OK I got a little misty during Spirited Away, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I tried to watch Alice in Wonderland at an IMAX and it just gave me a f@&king headache!
DrkFire666
Junior Keenspotter

Postby swobobafett on Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed that. 3D is getting ridiculous.
swobobafett
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Tulus on Wed May 12, 2010 10:05 am

I loved today's comic writing wise. Drawing wise not so much. Tory used to have redhead and brown eyes, when did she turn black? I always assumed she was latino or a moulat.

On the 3D note: It is indeed getting silly. Just like motion controllers. Wii, Natal and EyeCam are getting overused too. In general anything new is overused to the extent where it's not special anymore. Too bad. I was looking forward to having my Xbox smelling like ham when I eat IG in the future Fable IV! ;)
Tulus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DrkFire666 on Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm

For GM incarnation #4, strip #7.
OMG! You've managed to make Broderick look slightly badass!!! I'm stunned!
DrkFire666
Junior Keenspotter

Postby setback on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am

That's a screen cap from FF: Crisis Core for PSP. That's sephiroth and uh... some other guy. It's the prequel to FF7 I think.
setback
Junior Keenspotter

Previous

Return to God Mode