DOA4

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

DOA4

Postby demecowen on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:17 pm

I know it kinda late, but what are your thoughts of DOA4? I mean the commericals make look it going for a serious fighting game, but one of DOA appeals it is fanservice.

You think the DOA team is trying to remove the old images?
Never forget your past, it always there.
demecowen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:22 pm

I probably won't be considering an X-box 360 until Blue Dragon or the new Arc Systems fighting game comes out... but I do really want to play DOA 4 in the meantime.

DOA has really never been considered a "serious" fighting game since it's pretty much just a simplified Virtua Fighter... and the boobage hasn't really helped it's image as a serious fighter either. I made the joke that really it's the same game with motion blur... but they did actually tighten up the counter time, which I agree with. The average gamer tends to claim that DOA is great because of the counters... but hey you can counter in Tekken and VF also... it just takes a great deal more timing and skill. I definitely want to get my hands on it and see how the new countering time feels... but the new characters don't appeal to me much, they seem to still be just borrowing from VF characters... the new characters just seem to be copied from Lion and Aoi... except for the Lucha Libre chick.

Speaking of Lucha Libre, that's one of the new Virtua Fighter 5 characters. Now THAT's a game I will certainly get when it comes out on a home system. In terms of 3d fighting I still think Virtua Fighter 4 evo is on top... but judging from the response of the location test of VF5 in Japan, old Yu Suzuki has done it again.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BlakeoftheSky on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:54 pm

I'd say that's the reason that DOA always fairs so well. There are plenty of things for people that like to play in the shallow end of the gaming pool to do, and a decent combat system that more hardcore fighting genre gamers can... kind of enjoy. I wouldn't take a DOA tournament seriously though.

That's what it takes nowadays it seems, people are being trained to become ADD, and need to be stimulated without actually having to try. A DOA battle, even a button-mashing match, with it's smooth counters and pretty graphics, makes it almost look like a masterful display of precision and choreography. A real ego stroke for people that don't have the dedication to become skilled at a real fighter.
Aspiring for mediocrity.
BlakeoftheSky
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to God Mode