DOOM movie - Really that bad?

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

DOOM movie - Really that bad?

Postby DarkShive on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am

I haven't seen it yet. With a movie like that, I mostly just care that there's some cool CGI monster action. Of course, all I wanted from Aliens VS Predator was a lot of aliens fighting predators, andstill they managed to fail me, so I guess anything's possible...
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Iron Cross on Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Was AvP really that bad? I was going to go see it at one point, but the night I had planned on doing so, I got called in to work on an emergency, and I didn't have another free night since. I can't rent it, since my video card expired a few years ago and I don't feel like paying the $10 downpaymentfeethingytheydotoripmeoff for it :p

Yeah, my money is precious to me...
[ Feed the Pedants ]
Iron Cross
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:31 pm

AVP had a large plot buildup. Nothing that interesting, but it would've been adequate if there had been follow through with lots and lots of Aliens vs Predators. There actually wasn't that much A vs P in AVP, and character development that should've gone somewhere was cut off prematurely (you can probably guess how ^^; ).

Basically, it either needed to ditch the plot and character development and focus all on the action, or follow through on the plot and have action throughout. It failed to do either.
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby Iron Cross on Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:03 pm

So it was one of those movies which had huge potential but the creators were unable to handle so much and it fizzled and died.
Gotcha, thanks.
[ Feed the Pedants ]
Iron Cross
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm

Aliens vs Predator would have been cool if they just followed the plotline of the Aliens vs Predator 2 PC game.... I mean Predaliens are some badass monsters. It's funny though... Doom has the same special effects guys from the Alien and Predator movies... so I guess that's why it's more like Aliens than Doom. They threw in several "first person" shots and act like it mirrors the game perfectly... good action movie... just doesn't have that same shit your pants because hell is coming at you feel that Doom should have though.

I still think the original Mortal Kombat was probably the best game to move conversion I've seen... I can't even imagine what the Vin Diesel Hitman movie is going to be like.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DarkShive on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:48 pm

The original Mortal Kombat was definitely good entertainment... then came the sequal :(
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby Muncho on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:36 pm

First MK was a classic. If only the street fighter movie was the same =/
Muncho
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Youindia on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:29 am

Can you smell.... What the hell monsters are cooking?!

...'Cause it smells like a bad movie! (I'm so clever!)

Just be glad that those who make bad movies based on games learn their lesson. As for those who make bad games based on movies....

"Oh my god!! We sold ten copies of 'The Incredibles' for the PS2 in it's first week!!"

"What.. Really?"

"YES!! We're going big time, baby!!"
Youindia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Paradox_Knight on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:59 pm

Wonder if you guys have seen the Super Mario movie though.
Paradox_Knight
Junior Keenspotter

Postby lazyguygy on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:51 pm

Speak not of THat movie it was horrible so was doom. the fx werent bad though. Mk wasnt that bad either. It curdles my blood to think that was Julia's last role. siiiigh
So there I was bangin this chick when the ghost of Benjamin Franklin appeared and said boy you're doin it all wrong... move over
lazyguygy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Decus on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:32 am

ugh, it wasn't Doom. it just wasn't. period.
---------------moderate spoiler(unless you count the directors spoiling this pile by making it already)------------------------------------

NO DEMON! NO HELL! NO NOTHING MYSTIC, MAGIC, EVIL, NOTHING!
there, THAT'S why it's not Doom. "oooh, it's some kinda disease making them evil in a sick zombieish kinda way, aren't we being clever?"
please hollywood, do us a favour. it WAS a cool idea to take the mystical and apply sci-fi explanations for a while. everyone loved the "vampirism is a disease" fad and the "lycanthropy is a disease" fad and the slew of "zombieism is a disease and/or genetically engineered weapon" fad. but you don't need to CHANGE an existing story that's already liked to recycle this pseudo-scientific explanation for EVERYTHING.

also, congrats on neutering any chance of the series continuing, since you killed off the hell storyline, our hero can't GO to hell, can't DEFEAT hell, can't save the world from teh INVASION of hell. al you can do is a cruddy Jurrassic Park 2 storyline of "durr, I guess we should go see how the killer monsters are doing". :evil:
that ladies and gentlemen is merely my refutal to it's claim to the Doom name... I will not begin on the section concerning my opinion on the acting/plot/whythehelldoestherockkeepgettingwork?/cinematography
end communication.
I am a Godsend, and God sends death.
Decus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby BloodyHell256 on Fri May 26, 2006 8:41 am

Not to mention that anyone who knows next to nothing about genetics knows that the disease they cook up for the people to mutate from is complete bullshit. They use this "There's a gene for evil and this disease is making it go!" not to mention that the big ending involves finding a gene for good that for some stupid reason forces the camera into a first person view. That is the dumbest movie trick ever, if I'm watching a movie I want to see what's going on. Don't just re-create gameplay that I've already done.

So recap, disease sucks, the imps sucked, the marines sucked, the stupid shitty bubble teleporter sucked and everything about the movie plain sucked. They should take Andrzej Bartkowiak out back with Uwe Boll and shoot the both of em.
BloodyHell256
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mohanned on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:35 am

when i first saw the movie i thought it was a pratical joke i thought was is this SH**! then i relized it was the movie really the only good part about the movie was the first person shooting part! :evil: as for the "Rocks" performance i would love to throw a rock at him for it! even though he was good in the rundown and the scorpion king!
Mohanned
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to God Mode