Thoughts on the new direction?

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

Thoughts on the new direction?

Postby swobobafett on Tue May 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Jason here! I've heard from a few folks about the new direction, just wanted to see what everyone thinks so far?
swobobafett
Junior Keenspotter

Freaking awesome

Postby Tulus on Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

Well so far it has turned out good. The artstyle is fantastic so one is allowed to focus on jokes too. I like a lot of the new humour and ways to approach it. (Take the first one about Craig and his inner thinking)

So both writing wise and artistic wise it's great. Of course you'll have to get more comfortable with it over time, so I'll look forward to any improvement :D
Tulus
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Thoughts on the new direction?

Postby CapnWellpoint on Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am

Updates are a little sparse, appearing only once a week or so. I think the authors are still feeling out the characters a bit too, but at least they're trying to feel out characters instead of just drawing interchangable blank slates (like the last guy was doing). It has potential, though. The art is good, and although I think the pace is a little slow right now I can certainly see things picking up once they get an idea for what they want to do and where they want to take the comic. I imagine it's hard to try to use characters that somebody else designed, especially when they've exchanged hands three times already.
CapnWellpoint
Junior Keenspotter

Postby swobobafett on Thu May 13, 2010 11:49 am

Our goal is to have 2 a week, like this week.
swobobafett
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CapnWellpoint on Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Hey, the horsepocalypse comic was doing pretty well by the second panel, but then you kept going for a little too long. The facial expression was good and the image of dead computer horses blotting out the polygon sun was good, but Marceline harping about animal rights was sort of in its own little world.
CapnWellpoint
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 pm

It's beautiful to look at and pretty funny. Just endure and your run will easily become the definitive run this strip has needed. That way people can say "THAT'S Godmode!". In short I dig it. I think you'll do well.

P.S. Godmode fans.. try to hip Kotaku.com to strips you like. They drive traffic to a site like nobody's business. Plus every sunday they post game related comics they like so it's not a tough leap to make!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Megafighter3 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I can't say I'm too keen (no pun intended) on this new direction. I mean, it seems more focused than the previous creator, who cut into his own life a bit much, but it also seems to be getting some of the established stuff wrong. Brodrerick in particular has suffered. What happened to the helmet he wore and his curly hair? Where did the running joke of Barrett treating Broderick like a newbie come from? Barrett knows Broderick. Broderick was the very first character introduced in the comic. Why does Marveline care so much about horses? She's crual to all living things. Who's Doug? Where did he come from? What happened to Moru?

All in all, I can't say this is bad, the art style is very nice, though I don't see a lot of the comic violence of the first two incarnations being done in it, and it's mostly well-written. I'll stick around though, just to see what happens next.
Megafighter3
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mike Rosenzweig on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 am

Maybe the term "Soft reboot" might be confusing? We're starting over, as in someone pushed a reset button on God Mode. Sorry if you're looking for a rehash of Ryan and Raven's run, but we're doing something new with these characters and that means changing them slightly from what was already done.
Mike R
EverythingJake.com
GodModeonline.com
Mike Rosenzweig
Keenspot Despot

Postby Megafighter3 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Mike Rosenzweig wrote:Maybe the term "Soft reboot" might be confusing? We're starting over, as in someone pushed a reset button on God Mode. Sorry if you're looking for a rehash of Ryan and Raven's run, but we're doing something new with these characters and that means changing them slightly from what was already done.

Ah, I see. But it seems kind of alienating when you think about it. I mean, people who started with the Kerns/Perez stuff will continue to be confused as to the loss of a lot of the familiar elements. But we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: I'm willing to admit I'm wrong when it happens. I earlier expressed worry that the cartoonish violence wasn't going to work well with the art style. I was wrong, and the most recent strip was good. I'm still gonna twitch at some of the character changes.

Also, anyone notice this is the second time Kraig's hair looked different? I get not following other runs, but a little consistency in what Kraig's hair looks like would be nice. Oh well, at least Barret's hair will have a consistent look to it.
Megafighter3
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mike Rosenzweig on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Megafighter, I am now giving you the official title of Keeper of Kraig's Hair. If I deviate in any way of how is hair is "supposed" to be, let me know RIGHT AWAY. :)
Mike R
EverythingJake.com
GodModeonline.com
Mike Rosenzweig
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:42 am

Wow... I was just working on my resume and came to check the site for the dates of my run... totally surprised to see a new artist! I think the reboot was the smart approach, Raven and myself have/had a much more manga inspired art style... so I think the retooling was necessary.

It's not like this was ever really meant to be a story arc driven comic, or at least that's not what I set out to do. I always looked at it more like Southpark or the Simpsons... certain characters evolve over time but you stick to the same general premise to joke about current events in gaming.

I'm surprised and happy that the comic is living on... the kinect joke with the tiger... panel for panel I would have done the exact same strip... but of course with a nod to the eventual DOA game that allows you to get to virtual second base...

long live God Mode!
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby moorg on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:06 am

So Ryan's still alive then?

:P
moorg
Junior Keenspotter

Postby setback on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:31 am

I can't say this is bad, the art style is very nice, though I don't see a lot of the comic violence of the first two incarnations being done in it, and it's mostly well-written. I'll stick around though, just to see what happens next.
setback
Junior Keenspotter

Return to God Mode