LANDIS: THE LOST "PILOT"

Discuss Rob Potchak Jr's THE ARDY VANSTARR ADVENTURES and the archived LANDIS!

Moderator: thePOTS

LANDIS: THE LOST "PILOT"

Postby thePOTS on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:55 am

Today started the "Lost Pilot" of Landis. I wish I could tell everyone if this issue was supposed to have lettering on it, but I can't find the script for this issue. (Maybe Owen Still has it...?)

This story is OUT OF CONTINUITY of LANDIS, so please, anyone reading it, remember that...and this is why.

This was the FIRST Landis story EVER written. It was written in 1997 and although it went through some tweaks between then and 2001, its mainly the same story.

The thing is, that when Chris and I went for a new ongoing series (the other 5 issues), I didn't want to scrap Owen's art on this issue, so I had plotted this out to fit into continuity, but it would have LATER on down...

So *IF* this were to be in continuity, its AFTER the TAGGER'S TALE that's being written now, so after he gets himself back to as normal as he can.

This was ALSO the VERY FIRST Landis ART done by Owen, so the last couple pages from the last issue were the most recent, and these were his first. I'd love to hear his opinion on the change of his work and how it progressed...

Oh...and a side note, I noticed the sorethumbsonline.com ad on misfile.com, one of my favorite webcomics, and just thought I'd throw that out there.
Take Care,

Rob Potchak
elisalandis.com
ardyvanstarr.com
robpotchak.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 am

Soooo.... you're saing that this is a new story of Landis?
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby HiFranc on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:42 am

The question I have is: Is it set after the disease has been released or not?
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thePOTS on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:22 pm

To answer both questions...

This story carried the same feel and understanding of the Everlasting as the last one, but was written about 4 years before the other, newer story, which had just completed. It was going to be scrapped entirely, but we decided to show it.

If I had to say whether or not this is before or after the disease, however, I'd tend to say its after...since it does have some interesting looking characters, and there aren't MANY people in it...

so enjoy it, just remember, its out of continuity...kind of...hehe.

Franc, to answer your virus spreading question...not to worry there...at this point, the virus has run its course and the characters are dealing with it...because this story is after Janus gets himself back to working capacity.
Take Care,

Rob Potchak
elisalandis.com
ardyvanstarr.com
robpotchak.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:47 am

Heh... "Highland"

Which begs the question (and please forgive a poor newcomer for asking, but I couldn't find the answer on the forums or site): "Landis" is apparently very much inspired by the "Highlander" universe (and being in the search meta leads to lots of ads for paraphernalia from the shows/movies, as well as the Toyota Highlander :roll:)... but to what extent do the rules of the "game" deviate? (There seem to be quite a few significant points.)

Also, I'd just like to say that I love the artwork; few comics can claim to have been so polished and consistent from their inception (honestly, so far I would have had a tough time distinguishing between this storyline and the most recent black-and-white strips, but I'm not a trained artist/critic)... and is it just me, or do the "flashback" episodes have a slightly different artistic style? (Thicker lines, and slightly abstract shapes, giving the impression of a stained glass window or a tapestry, as would have been seen in the day?)
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers and eldritch vapors.

Postby thePOTS on Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:31 am

Shardz,

Great questions...As to the art ones, I'll probably leave them to Owen if he swings by, or I may take a crack at them later, but as to the deviation in the rules and such.

The only rules that the movies and tv show of Highlander showed was that

1) The fights had to be 1 on 1.
2) You could not fight on holy ground (or an incident like Pompe would occur)
3) You defeat your opponent by removing his head.
4) There can be only one victor

Now they added to that in the most recent movie stating that to become an immortal, you had to be killed initially in a most heinous way, but that was after I'd written LANDIS.

Here are some of the deviations...

1) In Landis, the quest is for items sent by the gods to help them win (like Mjolnir). It isn't necessarily about taking the others heads.

2) In Landis, when a character DOES drain the energy from his/her opponent, it is dueto the natural law of energy...it doesn't disappear, so it just gets swallowed by another Everlasting.

3) The immortals themself have something in their lineage that makes them become immortal. Thus, Landis died before she could pass it on to her next of kin. Meaning, it will continue to pass through the lines, as long as they conceive child before they die.

4) It isn't all about taking heads. Bloodletting, burning, and many other ways can one take another's life. Obviously, the beheading is quickest release of the energy, and thus, is why you would have a "quickening," as the enegy release on stronger opponents would cause destruction.

5) There is no limit on the weaponry, nor on how many immortals can face each other.

6) Each immortal has a SPECIAL POWER that is unique to them, if they know how to use it. So for example, Guy turned into a giant monster. NOW, Lyght would have that ability for as long as the energy that Guy had remains.

7) In the world of Landis, tere are vampires, heroes, werewolves and much more. So it mixes Sci-Fi with hero, with humor with romance and tragedy...I don't think you get all those (in the truest of form) from Highlander.

-------------

Overall, I explore other aspects of most of this with the new story I'm writing about Janus. I want to seperate the world more from Highlander, which is also why I unleashed Hell on Earth with the disease.

However, if Dynamite Entertainment wanted me to write the stories of the Highlander, or the supporting cast, I've got vast knowledge on most of the and would love to explore Methos. I think he's the most fascinating of characters due to him being a horsemen of the apocolypse, and now being a pacifist. There is SOOOO much story there.

Hope this helped set the stories aside. And yes, it was influenced by Highlander, but I hope that as you've seen with the differences in the characters and the meta-powers, that it truly is its own beast.
Take Care,

Rob Potchak
elisalandis.com
ardyvanstarr.com
robpotchak.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:35 am

.... Wow. :o
Thanks for the info! It does confirm a lot of what I was thinking (as far as the differences of the "games," etc.).

thePOTS wrote:2) In Landis, when a character DOES drain the energy from his/her opponent, it is dueto the natural law of energy...it doesn't disappear, so it just gets swallowed by another Everlasting.

Ah, yes. I seem to recall that the animated series made a bigger deal of this, with the memories and skills of the one being absorbed by the other (of course, the animation was far more tame, and different from the show/movies in so many ways that at times it would seem unrecognizable). My own recollection is fuzzy, so I won't go into detail.

thePOTS wrote:3) The immortals themself have something in their lineage that makes them become immortal. Thus, Landis died before she could pass it on to her next of kin. Meaning, it will continue to pass through the lines, as long as they conceive child before they die.

I never quite caught on as to how the Highlander immortals came to be. It just seemed that they all died violent deaths, perhaps with a sense of "unfinished business," and were unable to bear/sire children afterward (though I did gather that Duncan, and certain obvious others, had never had children). So, the immortal "curse" is inevitable for each family line (however many there are) because it will have to fall on someone? That's rough... but a great plot device!

thePOTS wrote:6) Each immortal has a SPECIAL POWER that is unique to them, if they know how to use it. So for example, Guy turned into a giant monster. NOW, Lyght would have that ability for as long as the energy that Guy had remains.

Now that I didn't expect. So, was Guy immortal before the accident, and the chemical simply augmented the power he didn't know he had? (He did seem a bit young to have so much knowledge and technology at his disposal.)

Anyway, thanks for the info, and for taking the time to answer in such detail! I'll try to be patient, and wait for further development in the comic. ;)
ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby HiFranc on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:21 am

ShardZ wrote:[...]

I never quite caught on as to how the Highlander immortals came to be. It just seemed that they all died violent deaths, perhaps with a sense of "unfinished business," and were unable to bear/sire children afterward (though I did gather that Duncan, and certain obvious others, had never had children). So, the immortal "curse" is inevitable for each family line (however many there are) because it will have to fall on someone? That's rough... but a great plot device!

The impression I got from Highlander (I've only ever seen the original movie and that was years ago) was that the immortals were picked at birth at random by forces representing Good and Evil. It was up to the individual picked to choose his/her side.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ShardZ on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:34 am

I've only seen one of the movies (I think it was "Endgame"?) and still don't have a strong grasp on the show... In that case, the Landis universe is quite a bit different in that respect (nice to know, really).
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Landis & The Ardy Vanstarr Adventures