Welcome All!

Discuss Rob Potchak Jr's THE ARDY VANSTARR ADVENTURES and the archived LANDIS!

Moderator: thePOTS

Welcome All!

Postby thePOTS on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:12 am

Hey all!

I'm so proud of my comic now getting its own forum.

Its amazing to see how well the story is progressing, but also how many more people look at it from day to day.

When Landis first started, it was lucky to do 300-400 viewers a day, and now, we're doing well over 1000 on updated days. In fact, last week was the first week without advertising that made it over 8400 viewers, and we JUST missed 8500 (by ONE viewer).

I just want to thank everyone from Chris Crosby, to Owen Gieni, to Studio Makma for the beautiful colors...all the way down the line, and of course for anybody that considers this as a story they read.

Thanks again!
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Figures...

Postby HiFranc on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 am

Wow! I didn't realise it was that popular. Now all we have to do is get some of them to read the forum. ;-)
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thePOTS on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:57 am

Agreed!

I'm going to post something else in the forum here that you may want to have a look at. Maybe it'll garner some responses =).

Rob
elisalandis.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 am

The story is kinda cliche, but the art is beauuuuutiful.
and by 'cliche', I mean that the story isn't too original. It's not a bad thing, but we've all seen this before, haven't we?
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby thePOTS on Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:09 am

Originality, unfortunately in ANY comic of an adventure status is extremely difficult to do, and yet, by changing just enough elements, you create a whole new form of originality.

Obviously, Landis looks and feels like Highlander...but did Highlander have characters who could control fire? Characters that grow to a "hulking" size and destory half the city? Characters that make jokes and act like Jay and Silent Bob?

My point isn't that the story itself is original, or at least wholly original, but in today's standards, they don't NEED to be.

Although, I don't know, destroying the human race so that the Everlasting can finish their battle without them is (in my mind) a very original concept.
Take Care,

Rob Potchak
elisalandis.com
ardyvanstarr.com
robpotchak.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dromin on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:29 pm

I definitely thought of Highlander upon reading the comic. But that was because of both the immortality thing, and decapitation as a means of death.

There are decided differences. Some of which are already listed by thePOTS above. I really like the fact that immortality bestows different "gifts" upon those everlasting experiencing it.

And the true mark of if something is worth the time to look at or not, is well, if it gets looked at or not. Since I find myself coming back time after time, I guess it's original enough for me.

Oh. And the art does indeed rock the proverbial house. Well done, and rock on.
Life is what slips away while you're standing in line.
Dromin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby thePOTS on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:36 pm

Dromin,

Thanks for the kind words. The work that went into making this book was long and hard, and I'm glad that you are coming back, in your own words, "again and again."

All the praise needs to be given to Owen for the art aspect, as I'm sure you were doing. He blew me away with these pages from the get-go and I truly hope that he'll be showing full "western comic" art another goround, even though I know that his other comic, Sorethumbsonline.com (also out due to the Crosby's dilemma) is shorter time working on pages, but twice as much fun =).
Take Care,

Rob Potchak
elisalandis.com
ardyvanstarr.com
robpotchak.com
robpotchak.blogspot.com
thePOTS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:59 am

thePOTS wrote:Originality, unfortunately in ANY comic of an adventure status is extremely difficult to do, and yet, by changing just enough elements, you create a whole new form of originality.

Yes, I know this problem, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticize Landis from it a bit. :wink:
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Return to Landis & The Ardy Vanstarr Adventures