GBS Concert

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

GBS Concert

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:02 pm

So yeah, I've got these tickets to go see Great Big Sea next month, and while I'm anxiously awaiting this concert (and have bee listening to little else on my mp3 player recently) I want to know if anyone else here has been to one of their concerts, and what I can expect. I'd especially like to hear from someone who has been to one in the States, where I live, specifically because I have both the live albums (Road Rage and the one with the DVD), and on both those records they are in Canada, where everyone knows who the hell they are and all their songs :P
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Bookworm on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:08 pm

I've seen them three times here in Texas. Twice in Austin, and once in Houston.

Recommendation. Take earplugs. Preferably several pairs, so you can give them to people that forgot. GBS is great stuff, but they (like most bands) don't seem to have grasped the fundamentals of accoustics, specifically where it applies to volume in confined spaces vs hearing damage.

The concerts here, even though they didn't have a lot of advertising or notice, managed to have a decent crowd (two hundred people?). Enough to fill the spaces where they were performing, but with enough room to move.

The energy levels were good, and prices for the souveniers were reasonable.

BW
Bookworm
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:34 pm

Actually, this isn't them playing in a bar, which is what they usually do in the States, it's an honest to God concert being played at The Southern Theater in Columbus, Ohio, so earplugs probably won't be an issue :D

Thanks for the response though. I was beginning to think that nobody else here had seen them live!

Oh, btw, was it like the live CDs, or am I going to be the only one in the crowd who knows the songs well enough to sing along?
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon May 29, 2006 5:15 pm

In case anyone was curious, I had a great time at the show. So did the friends I brought with me who had never heard of the band. Surprisingly, the place was sold out, and I think the only people in the house that didn't know the words to the songs were my friends. The majority of the concert was from The Hard and the Easy album, though they played a lot of the classics as well. They're hilarious in concert. The place looks like an old theater, so at one point Alan Doyle says "I can't help but think that the two hecklers from the Muppet Show should be up in the corner there." He then proceeded to sing their part of the Muppet Show song. My favourite part of the concert was probably "When I Am King" as the version they sang was more hard rock than the version on the album. Wish I could get it. Another cool part was when they started playing a bunch of 80's songs all stringed together, getting the audience to sing parts of the songs (we sang most of "Summer of 69" by ourselves), then finishing it off "serious since we're in a theater" by singing "Phantom of the Opera".

Oh, and it was LOUD. The last song they sang was "Old Brown's Daughter" accapella and without the microphones. It was hard to hear them over the ringing in my ears.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Return to Avalon