Page 1 of 2

You see, Josh didn't specify which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:24 am
by Mcfarlane Salsa
Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.

>_>

Recolourings:

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abn.png

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abm.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am
by GrassyNoel
"Must be Thursday. Never could get the hang of Thursdays."

"I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 am
by Sol
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 am
by GrassyNoel
Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.

Who in the Roman scheme of things is Mars, hence Italian [i]marted

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am
by Doctor Emmit Brown
GrassyNoel wrote:
Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.

Who in the Roman scheme of things is Mars, hence Italian [i]marted

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:41 pm
by svenman
Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.
Aren't "Tiw" and "Tiu" just spelling variants of the same name, anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 pm
by Nick 101
He's pulling the "h-word". It will be back on any given Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 pm
by ParkRNDL
I'm just happy that if we're stalled, at least we're stalled on a comic with Ceilidh in it...

(the silver lining is half full, or something like that...) :shifty:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:41 am
by Mcfarlane Salsa
http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abo.png

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abp.png

Another batch, these ones dating from my first dive into colourings (hence they needed to be redone, since they looked like crap).

EDIT: http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abq.png Just did this one too.

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:11 am
by Sol
svenman wrote:
Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.
Aren't "Tiw" and "Tiu" just spelling variants of the same name, anyway?
I guess so, but probably only in the same way as "George" and "Jorj".

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:46 pm
by Mcfarlane Salsa
Sol wrote:
svenman wrote:
Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.
Aren't "Tiw" and "Tiu" just spelling variants of the same name, anyway?
I guess so, but probably only in the same way as "George" and "Jorj".


I knew the day (and most of the other days for that matter) were named after a Norse God, but I couldn't remember which. So I used dictionary.com to get the source. Perhaps this would have been better...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:32 am
by GlitterFey
I'm trying to recall detail from my Norse Myth class I took for core at uni. Basically, there is only very limited records of the Norse myths to begin with and the nature of the records kept bias the information in them so extrapolating from what real people believed several hundred years before it was written down is difficult. Tyr, for example, is a puzzle. First: recall the Nordic runic alphabet: designed to be written on wood you don't get horizontal lines or curves because of wood grain (it'd get lost) - you have a lot of vertical and diagonals. Also, language evolves, especially when it bumps into other communities so Tyr having more than one name is certainly plausible. Also, it is speculated by some that Tyr's character evolved into someone else after early prominence, or just faded. Or, Tyr was still very important but infrequently accounted for in the Sagas and similar sources because of the whole bard-warrior thing. Tyr is the one that got his hand bit off by Fenris when they had him bound, so he gets a mention in that story.

Tyr is the only spelling I am directly familiar with, but if someone is actually *really* interested I can go pull out my books and notes. Or, we likely have a more-educated source of information on the matter in the community we could ask.

And yeah, Tuesday is Tyr's day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 pm
by Josh Phillips
Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

I'm trying to be more diligent with my academics lately (no more skipping classes to sleep in, grumblemumble), and when you add sleep apnea and a part time job in the evenings, there's not much energy left for drawing comics, let alone free time. I really wish I had become more responsible before making a big deal out of resuming Avalon. :-/

Anyways, I'm still working out the time management needed to keep Avalon consistent (a MWF schedule would be considered ideal right now). I also need to keep Avalon fun to draw -- so whenever it does update, it should end up being exceptionally amusing and/or full of fan-service. ;-)

JOSH.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 am
by K A H
As I've said before, the upside I can see to the occasional hiatus - or an MWF update schedule, for that matter - is that since there are fewer than a hundred comics between now and the final curtain (assuming Year Three isn't substantially longer than either of the first two), it means there will be more time and thus more anticipation before the grand finale. Though I'm looking forward to said finale, I'm in no hurry to see it.

Take all the time you need, Sir. Most of us are familiar first-hand with the chaos involved in the average student life, and I'm just glad you're planning on completing "Avalon" at all, irrespective of how long it might take to cross the finish line.

K.A.H.
Final curtain, finish line, grand finale, I've many more synonyms where they came from. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:31 am
by Mcfarlane Salsa
We don't mind waiting, Josh.

*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. "Good things come to those who wait"*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:00 pm
by Tangent
Josh Phillips wrote:Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

I'm trying to be more diligent with my academics lately (no more skipping classes to sleep in, grumblemumble), and when you add sleep apnea and a part time job in the evenings, there's not much energy left for drawing comics, let alone free time. I really wish I had become more responsible before making a big deal out of resuming Avalon. :-/

Anyways, I'm still working out the time management needed to keep Avalon consistent (a MWF schedule would be considered ideal right now). I also need to keep Avalon fun to draw -- so whenever it does update, it should end up being exceptionally amusing and/or full of fan-service. ;-)

JOSH.

Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.

The other things that work are losing weight (if you're overweight) or having a tonsilectamy (especially as they've a new form where they don't cut out the muscle, just the surrounding flesh).

Good luck in getting some decent sleep, Josh. Take care...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 pm
by ParkRNDL
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. *


hey, you gonna post that here? Some of us would like to see it... :shifty:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:34 am
by Nick 101
ParkRNDL wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. *


hey, you gonna post that here? Some of us would like to see it... :shifty:

Be patient, grasshopper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 am
by Mcfarlane Salsa
Nick 101 wrote:
ParkRNDL wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. *


hey, you gonna post that here? Some of us would like to see it... :shifty:

Be patient, grasshopper.


Yes, a fanart is coming up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am
by Nick 101
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Yes, a fanart is coming up.

Cool. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 pm
by Mravac Kid
Josh Phillips wrote:Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

I'm trying to be more diligent with my academics lately (no more skipping classes to sleep in, grumblemumble), and when you add sleep apnea and a part time job in the evenings, there's not much energy left for drawing comics, let alone free time. I really wish I had become more responsible before making a big deal out of resuming Avalon. :-/

Don't worry... after such a long time, and thinking it would never be done, a spotty schedule isn't such a big deal. The true fans can handle that.

Anyways, I'm still working out the time management needed to keep Avalon consistent (a MWF schedule would be considered ideal right now). I also need to keep Avalon fun to draw -- so whenever it does update, it should end up being exceptionally amusing and/or full of fan-service. ;-)

JOSH.

Yup, promising exceptional amusement and/or fanservice is a very good way of alleviating our doubts and fears. :)

Actually delivering the fanservice can keep us going for weeks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 am
by Mcfarlane Salsa
http://packy.dardan.com/walky/avalon/adw?full=1

Going back to Avalon Fanart album makes me want to bleach my eyes. This, however, isn't half bad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 am
by jeffk
Tangent wrote:Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.


I've got a mild case of sleep apnea...not bad enough to wake myself, but the snoring kept my wife awake, which is basically the same thing. If Mama ain't happy.... :-)

So at her suggestion (urging), I went in for a sleep test. They hooked me up to the monitoring machines--which was a bit of a nuisance--they let you sleep for the night, then they look for evidence that your breathing stopped long enough and often enough for the sleep apnea diagnosis.

If it looks like the CPAP machine will be useful, you come back the next night and go through the exercise again while wearing the CPAP machine. If they can tell a difference in your breathing, they write up a prescription for your own CPAP. (CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure...fancy medical speak for "it blows the same amount of air up your nose all the time" :-) ) YMMV for the process of getting a CPAP.

YMMV for the impact of using CPAP, too. The only differences I noticed are (a) I don't snore, so I'm no longer waking my wife up, and (b) once you get used to it--and you do need to get used to it--the CPAP's a nice source of white noise.

Naturally, difference (a) alone makes my CPAP worthwhile :-)

But if you've got moderate to severe sleep apnea, a CPAP can make an even bigger difference because you're finally getting a decent night's sleep. The woman who administered my sleep test told me that one patient felt so good after his "with-CPAP" sleep test that he begged to take the thing home with him, right on the spot!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:11 pm
by Nick 101
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:http://packy.dardan.com/walky/avalon/adw?full=1

Going back to Avalon Fanart album makes me want to bleach my eyes. This, however, isn't half bad.

Heheheh, that was great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:51 pm
by bunnyThor
jeffk wrote:
Tangent wrote:Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.


I've got a mild case of sleep apnea...not bad enough to wake myself, but the snoring kept my wife awake, which is basically the same thing. If Mama ain't happy.... :-)

So at her suggestion (urging), I went in for a sleep test. They hooked me up to the monitoring machines--which was a bit of a nuisance--they let you sleep for the night, then they look for evidence that your breathing stopped long enough and often enough for the sleep apnea diagnosis.

If it looks like the CPAP machine will be useful, you come back the next night and go through the exercise again while wearing the CPAP machine. If they can tell a difference in your breathing, they write up a prescription for your own CPAP. (CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure...fancy medical speak for "it blows the same amount of air up your nose all the time" :-) ) YMMV for the process of getting a CPAP.

YMMV for the impact of using CPAP, too. The only differences I noticed are (a) I don't snore, so I'm no longer waking my wife up, and (b) once you get used to it--and you do need to get used to it--the CPAP's a nice source of white noise.

Naturally, difference (a) alone makes my CPAP worthwhile :-)

But if you've got moderate to severe sleep apnea, a CPAP can make an even bigger difference because you're finally getting a decent night's sleep. The woman who administered my sleep test told me that one patient felt so good after his "with-CPAP" sleep test that he begged to take the thing home with him, right on the spot!


Yeah, I'm one of those with severe apnea, and let me tell you, you cannot pay me enough to try to sleep without my CPAP. Before I got my nose hose, I was getting the equivalent of about 4 hours of *bad* sleep a night, despite spending 8 hours in bed. I was tired and muddle-headed all the time, and I was a danger to others as I have an hour's commute every morning and evening, and I had to fight--literally I had to pummel myself repeatedly--to keep from falling asleep at the wheel. And sleeping longer doesn't help much--it merely means you get more hours of *bad* sleep.

Now with my CPAP, I have energy, I have clarity, and I am no longer an automotive time bomb. I feel like I have come out of a coma, that's how dramatic it is. I urge anyone who has apnea to get and use a CPAP machine. Five minutes of fidgeting each night to get the mask properly adjusted is a very tiny price to pay for your life back.