Offline Reader

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Offline Reader

Postby msweeney on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:43 pm

I believe the phrase is, "long time reader, first time poster."

First, let me add my voice to the 'glad Avalon is back' pile, for what it is worth.

Second, the reason that I'm posting is because I just spent a bit of time this evening tweaking some code that I thought people here might like.

Someone mentioned before that they had had the urge to download the entire archives for Avalon, so they'd have it just in case. This gave me the idea to take an image gallery script that Adriaan Tijsseling (http://kung-foo.tv/) had developed, and tweak it into a viewer program that would let me reread the archives at my leisure, with no concerns about load time or connectivity. Once I'd done that, I figured I'd see if anyone else wanted a copy. If people are interested, I can host what I came up with on my site.

A few notes before you comment,

1) What I'm offering is just an html page and a couple of php pages. If someone can host a 30M zip file, and Josh is cool with it, I guess I could throw in the archives.

2) This thing is crude in design. I'm a DB geek, not a web developer. The image gallery itself is top notch, because I didn't build it, but don't expect a lot of bells and whistles. May be later, after sleep.

3) I use a Mac, this means that I can do things with a greater ease then Windows users. To use this software Windows users will have to install Apache on their computers and set up PHP, both of which can be done for free, but will involve work. Mac users need only to click a check box and delete two characters from a text file. I'll help Mac users set this up, but Windows users are on their own.

I think that's it. Let me know if anyone's interested.

BTW, sorry if this is a little scattershot. I really need to go to bed.
msweeney
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Offline Reader

Postby msweeney on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:52 pm

msweeney wrote:A few notes before you comment,

1) What I'm offering is just an html page and a couple of php pages. If someone can host a 30M zip file, and Josh is cool with it, I guess I could throw in the archives.

I knew I was forgetting something. Just a note, if I don't include the archive along with the pages, it is still pretty easy on your end. All you'll have to do is download all the comics and put them into folders. The program will do the rest.

For Windows users, the hardest part is getting Apache set up (I'm guessing). Outside of that, downloading the archives is the hardest step.

BTW, the code I was working with can be found here, http://blog.kung-foo.tv/archives/001045.php
msweeney
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Eh, I use ACDSee to browse my comics, and I save each strip to disk. And as ACDSee has integrated HTML album generation, I don't really need that.
Once you download the strips themselves, it's very easy to use an image viewer to read them.

What I do need is complete archives of some strips that use layouts other than single-pic strips, like Fans or Everything Jake...
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Return to Avalon