Sad day if you're a hockey fan

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Sad day if you're a hockey fan

Postby DocForbin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Since I know many people in the Avalon fan community are hockey fans, this might be of some interest.

Marc Potvin, who was a member of the old Adirondack Red Wings of Glens Falls NY (who were the Detroit Red Wings' affiliiate in the AHL) when the team won its fourth and final Calder Cup title in 1992 (which turned out to be the final hockey title of any kind my area's had to date) and who recently was serving as the head coach of the Adirondack Frostbite of the UHL, was unexpectedly found dead in his hotel room in Kalamazoo MI, where the Frostbite were scheduled to play against the Wings. The game has been postponed out of respect for Potvin.

Details here.

The Calder Cup win was rather dramatic because in the series between the A-Wings and the St. John's Maple Leafs, all seven games were won by the visiting team. The Baby Leafs boasted a then-unknown goalie named Felix Potvin and I saw Marc Potvin in action in all three games at the Glens Falls Civic Center. When I saw the final game on TV and saw Potvin hoist the Calder Cup over his head, I was proud to call myself a resident of the Adirondack North Country.

The next year, former A-Wings coach Barry Melrose swung a trade that brought Potvin to the LA Kings; he played with the team in their only Stanley Cup Finals appearance to date, where they lost to the Montreal Canadiens.

When Potvin hung up the skates for good, he turned to coaching. When Melrose, ESPN commentator Steve Levy and two other persons bought out what was then the IceHawks from Art and Lori Shaver, Potvin was tapped to be the coach of the team. The team was in such bad shape it was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy (things were so bad that the Warren County Sheriff's Department stormed into the Civic Center and seized the money from the souvenir stand in order to satisfy debts to the city) and turned it into a contender. It's a shame he didn't live long enough for th team to win the Colonial Cup.

He will be sorely missed in my area--big time. :cry:
Peter W. Guerin
docforbin@hotmail.com
DocForbin
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Avalon