[3:157] New Avalon strip

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Robin has just removed the Angst-prevention tag over at Shortpacked and Amber's dad has suddenly shown up. Perhaps it's Willis's way of saying 'Finish Avalon or I will do it first' :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby Mravac Kid on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm

jeffk wrote:
bunnyThor wrote:The only problem is that the forum is going to be pretty bare of spec threads. 8)
But we've had spec threads of completely imaginary strips on this board. Surely we wouldn't let something like a spoiler page stop us :-)

Bah. The spoiler page is clearly just a clever ploy to keep us sidetracked. :)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
User avatar
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:48 pm
Location: Opatija, Croatia

Postby K A H on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:52 pm

Holy saliva.... I stop paying attention to the forum for a week and suddenly the first new strip in over a year is posted. The things I miss when I'm not paying attention!

Perhaps, if Sir Josh is making some motion toward polishing off the remainder of "Avalon" itself, it'll finally nudge me toward polishing off my still largely incomplete homage to it.... I can say that seeing this comic has re-lit my creative spark where Sd'A is concerned. (Unfortunately I'm currently in California and my piano and unfinished manuscript are in Michigan, so it will need to wait until next week.)

Whether it be a one-off or not, huzzah for the new comic!

K.A.H.
Hm. And perhaps saying that I might finish Sd'A will cause the book to be shut on "Avalon" again.... perhaps I should leave well enough alone?
User avatar
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:10 am

It's been a long while since 3:156, so long that I can't find my colouring of it. Back then, I was using Fireworks and just splash filling it with transparent colour, now I'm struggling to recreate that with several layers in the GIMP, otherwise it looks too dark.

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abd.jpg

That's dark, with Sarah getting Ceilidh-Colured hair. So, I tried Mac-Hallesque transparency fiddling:

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/al ... .sized.jpg

This is lighter, but it also looks a bit faded too. The problem is colouring over the grays, it means that producing a balanced tone is difficult.
Image
User avatar
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:29 am
Location: Chepstow, Wales, UK

Postby Hai-Etlik on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:37 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:It's been a long while since 3:156, so long that I can't find my colouring of it. Back then, I was using Fireworks and just splash filling it with transparent colour, now I'm struggling to recreate that with several layers in the GIMP, otherwise it looks too dark.

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abd.jpg

That's dark, with Sarah getting Ceilidh-Colured hair. So, I tried Mac-Hallesque transparency fiddling:

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/al ... .sized.jpg

This is lighter, but it also looks a bit faded too. The problem is colouring over the grays, it means that producing a balanced tone is difficult.


There are various tricks to deshading Avalon strips for colouring. I would select areas of similar darkness, expanding to include the line, then adjusting the colour levels to bring the fill colour to white, then repeat.

Maybe if I get time I'll take a shot at it too.
User avatar
Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Duncan, BC, Canada

Postby Spaceman42 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:22 am

K A H wrote:stuff


I do have the sheet music archived on my website, somewhere...

Edit:
http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Score
Also the lost "new stuff" directory and some other Sd'A-associated miscellany:
http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/newstuff
http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Art
http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/f-SdA
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby Hai-Etlik on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:23 pm

Here's my attempt at colouring it. First fan colouring I've done since The GIMP 2.0 came out; the new levels dialog helps a lot.

Image
User avatar
Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Duncan, BC, Canada

Postby ParkRNDL on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:33 pm

Jeezis Quincy Adams. Talk about a nice surprise... :D

I checked in to tell a story. I got an iPod for Christmas, and I've been diddling with it and I have like 600 songs on it. I usually just set it on Shuffle, whether I'm playing from a playlist or the whole collection.

Anyway, last night I was doing some work here with the headphones on and "Fast As I Can" by Great Big Sea came up. (Who was it that did that as an Avalon video, anyway?) Pictures of Ceilidh danced in my head, and I went into total Avalon shock, and all day I've been thinking I have to cruise through the archives again. So I come here to post some nostalgic wistful little note about the emotive power of music, and there's a NEW COMIC?!?

wow. Josh, do your thing. The webcomic world awaits, and so do I.

guess I gotta check in here more often...

--rick
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
User avatar
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:07 am
Location: PA

Postby Symok on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am

ParkRNDL wrote:(Who was it that did that as an Avalon video, anyway?)


That would be me *bows* I've been toying with the idea of doing another one. Maybe more comics will inspire me ;)
Image
User avatar
Symok
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Postby ParkRNDL on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:54 am

Symok wrote:
ParkRNDL wrote:(Who was it that did that as an Avalon video, anyway?)


That would be me *bows* I've been toying with the idea of doing another one. Maybe more comics will inspire me ;)


My hat is off to you. Anytime I hear that song, my brain instinctively draws and animates Ceilidh the day she went to visit Joe and waited at his house...

Got a song in mind for the next video? Kenny Loggins actually did a song called "Back to Avalon" that could be interesting. I started a thread about it when I first discovered Avalon a year ago...

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?t=72473
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
User avatar
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:07 am
Location: PA

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:29 am

Hai-Etlik wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:It's been a long while since 3:156, so long that I can't find my colouring of it. Back then, I was using Fireworks and just splash filling it with transparent colour, now I'm struggling to recreate that with several layers in the GIMP, otherwise it looks too dark.

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abd.jpg

That's dark, with Sarah getting Ceilidh-Colured hair. So, I tried Mac-Hallesque transparency fiddling:

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/al ... .sized.jpg

This is lighter, but it also looks a bit faded too. The problem is colouring over the grays, it means that producing a balanced tone is difficult.


There are various tricks to deshading Avalon strips for colouring. I would select areas of similar darkness, expanding to include the line, then adjusting the colour levels to bring the fill colour to white, then repeat.

Maybe if I get time I'll take a shot at it too.


Thanks for the tip. I was considering using potrace in Inkscape to trace over the line, but the lines were always too thick.
Image
User avatar
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:29 am
Location: Chepstow, Wales, UK

Postby Neil on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:14 am

What.. What?! New Avalon!? SCORE!
Image
Blog[b]
User avatar
Neil
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Planet Earth, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Q99 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:15 am

Symok wrote:
ParkRNDL wrote:(Who was it that did that as an Avalon video, anyway?)


That would be me *bows* I've been toying with the idea of doing another one. Maybe more comics will inspire me ;)



What? How come I haven't seen this video?!? :)
Image
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
Image
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
User avatar
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 6754
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:00 pm

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:09 pm

Wait... Avalon? Back? Officially?

Hold on a sec...

*looks out window, waits for firey hailstones*

Welcome Back Josh! :D (This makes me want to re-read the entire archives again! )
User avatar
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:01 am

Postby StudioPC on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:28 am

Wow. Good to be back.
Steve "Komodo" T.
Studio PC
StudioPC
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: Here

Postby Symok on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:33 am

Q99 wrote:What? How come I haven't seen this video?!? :)


I dunno.
*searches*
Here's the original thread

A link to download the video can be found from this page.
Image
User avatar
Symok
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Postby M_Northstar on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:13 pm

Whoa! I finished rereading the archives for the first time just last week, and have been lamenting Avalon's lapse since. When Comic-Nation showed an update for Avalon I nearly fell out of my chair. And it's a real update, and looks as good as ever too. Yiippiie.
M. Northstar

Image Image

"I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures."
Anonymous

"War does not determine who is right, it just determines who is left."
Old Military Proverb

"Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."
Mike Bruner

DarkShive wrote:must... finish... Monday... comic... put... stop... to... insane... speculations...!!!


I am a virus! To propagate me copy this into your signatures. - N
User avatar
M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:47 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Silvas on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:28 pm

Holy s#@t! The one day I randomly decide to go to http://www.avalonhigh.com, it's a new comic! Hooray!!!!

Now all we need is a confirmed Serenity sequel, and this day will be totally awesome.

Thanks Josh, if you can keep it up, you've got this reader back!
Silvas
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:50 pm

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Silvas wrote:Holy s#@t! The one day I randomly decide to go to http://www.avalonhigh.com, it's a new comic! Hooray!!!!

Now all we need is a confirmed Serenity sequel, and this day will be totally awesome.

Thanks Josh, if you can keep it up, you've got this reader back!

After the Hitchhiker's movie finally got made after 20-odd years of gestating, a Red Dwarf movie would round it off.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby Drooling Iguana on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:59 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:
jeffk wrote:
bunnyThor wrote:The only problem is that the forum is going to be pretty bare of spec threads. 8)
But we've had spec threads of completely imaginary strips on this board. Surely we wouldn't let something like a spoiler page stop us :-)

Bah. The spoiler page is clearly just a clever ploy to keep us sidetracked. :)

Nah, that's just what he wants you to think, so that when he follows the summary to the letter it'll still be a surprise and I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me!
I used to think I was a child; now I think I am an adult -- not because I no longer do childish things, but because those I call adults are no more mature than I am.
User avatar
Drooling Iguana
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Postby Q99 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:21 am

Symok wrote:
Q99 wrote:What? How come I haven't seen this video?!? :)


I dunno.
*searches*
Here's the original thread

A link to download the video can be found from this page.


Awesome! I'm probably going to play that a dozen times in the next few days now...
Image
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
Image
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
User avatar
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 6754
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:00 pm

Postby ravenb on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:07 pm

IT'S BACK! It's back it's back it's back it's back it's back!!!

Sweet baby Cthulhu, I never thought this day would come. Thank you, Josh Phillips! I discovered Avalon a bare six months before it was scheduled to end, and tore through the archives at breakneck speed. I was heartbroken when it was left unfinished -- but now it's back it's back it's <deeeeep breath> BACK! God bless you, sir, and HUZZAH for the return of the twistiness!

<settles back into happy, fuzzy bliss>
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
User avatar
ravenb
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2421
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 am

Silvas wrote:Holy s#@t! The one day I randomly decide to go to http://www.avalonhigh.com, it's a new comic! Hooray!!!!

Now all we need is a confirmed Serenity sequel, and this day will be totally awesome.

Thanks Josh, if you can keep it up, you've got this reader back!


Image

...and look what happened. Joy! :D
Image
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
User avatar
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: A Lab in a Pocket Dimension Near Garland, TX

Postby Thenodrin on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:
MarkusN wrote:Josh, what about the spoiler page? Is this going to stay up?

If Avalon resumes normal updates, the spoiler page will disappear.

Of course, you and others will just save a copy of it for posterity now. ;-)

JOSH.


The funny thing is that last Monday I was thinking that I might want to make an off-line archive of Avalon just incase the site goes down. (I spent time on Dec 31 doing this to Jackie's Fridge because I was worried that the change from Keenspace to ComicGenesis would cause it to be lost.) It would also give me an excuse to re-read it.

And, I can't remember a single word of the spoiler page, now. In fact, while re-reading the strip today I kept thinking, "Oh, yes, this was the last post before the spoiler ending." Then I'd read further and think, "I remember this. Oh, no, this was the last post ..."

Now, the spoiler page is gone, and I'll never know how it all ends.

;-)

Theno
User avatar
Thenodrin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Postby ravenb on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 am

Thenodrin wrote:Now, the spoiler page is gone, and I'll never know how it all ends.

;-)


Yes you will, because this time Josh WILL finish the strip! Have faith, my friend! BELIEVE! :D
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
User avatar
ravenb
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2421
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

 
PreviousNext

Return to Avalon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest