AAR 92: "First Days" 3:1-5

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

AAR 92: "First Days" 3:1-5

Postby jeffk on Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 pm

Next: AAR Week 93
Prev: AAR Week 91

[Edit: Next link]

Another year, another twist.

3:1:
.1 and .2: Ceilidh: A Woman On A Mission.

.3 and .4: Flashback to the previous summer, and the infamous Grade 9 Photo.

.5 and .6: She finds the photo...but why does she need it now?

.7: Flashback to a few weeks (days? hours? minutes?) ago, when Joe caught a clue about "this imperfect image" under extreme nekkidness...er, extreme conditions. "You're always sad because you were lonely, and no one cared about you..."

.8: "...but that was then." And Ceilidh does something way more effective than standing on tables.

I was kidding somewhat about days, hours and minutes, but I am curious when Ceilidh tore up the photo. I think it's safe to assume this didn't take place immediately after The Bedroom Incident, since she's, you know, dry and fully clothed and all that. :-)

But she does look like A Woman On A Mission, and it looks like she completed her mission promptly once she found the picture. Somehow, she decided that Joe was right about being stuck with an imperfect image of herself, and she decided to get rid of that image, right then and there. I wonder if she immediately agreed with Joe--as soon as she got dry and fully clothed and all that--or if she mulled it over for days before deciding to take action, or if something else happened that pushed her to take action.

3:2:
First day of school, and now it's Phoebe's turn to be A Woman On A Mission.

3:3:

.1: The old aggressive Phoebe isn't back yet, and she's not quite sure what to say.

.2: Fortunately, Ceilidh doesn't have that problem...and although she doesn't realize it yet, she makes it easier for Phoebe to figure out what to say.

.3: Although Phoebe wants to be sure. After months of convincing herself no one cared, it's not easy to get used to the notion that maybe someone does care.

Hmm...one tends to find alternative readings to this panel in light of the conclusion. And it didn't help that my iTunes queued up "Why Don't We Get Drunk" while I was working on this panel. <cough>

.4: She's sure now. And Ceilidh's shocked. Phoebe? Hugging? Who secretly replaced her with Folger's Crystals?

3:4:
.1: With the ice broken, Phoebe knows it's safe to open up and apologize for her behavior the previous few months.

.2: Operation Cheer-Up-Phoebe was a success after all, albeit a slightly delayed one. At face value, it seems like the hokey, far-fetched get-everyone-to-sign-the-yearbook plan actually worked. But hold that thought a week or so.

.3: Ceilidh apologizes for being too busy to notice the depths of Phoebe's depression earlier.

.4: Time for Ceilidh to drop her own little bombshell.

3:5:

.1: Ceilidh gets to float on air for a bit.

.2:
I once read that one difference between men and women is that men are more prone to brag about sexual activities--particularly ones they haven't really performed--while women are much more blunt, and much more honest.

Exhibit A: Phoebe. :o

Even after backing down from the PMHP question, Phoebe's next question is more blunt than she probably intended.

.3:

Phoebe sees...something. I'm not sure what yet--although I've got two or three theories--but she knows something's not right.

And thanks to her questions, Ceilidh's beginning to see something, too.

BTW, in Joshian fashion, I think the "friggin' can of pop" question was "ha ha only serious". More on that next week.

.4:
Joe's beginning to see something too. His life flashing before his eyes, probably.

Forum Dive:

9515: 3:1: Woo hoo! Ceilidh seems to have caught a clue! Photo or dryer sheet? Coldacid realizes that change might not be good. Josh shoots down an absurd revelation by applying the Avalonian Hair Rule.
9516: And speak of the Avalonian Hair Rule.... Real-life Avalonian characters discussed. (Jodie's hair is the wrong color, but the proposal's still worthy of further study. I'm off to study....
9517: Unfortunately for him, Dumas asks for fanart of Ceilidh's now-destroyed Grade 9 Photo. Unfortunately for all of us, DW obliges. Unfortunately for me, the link is not broken.
9518: Battle of the game boxes.
9519: 3:1: More rejoicing over Ceilidh.
9520: Avalon 3:16?
9521: Psiogen presents his own guest strip--link broken.
9522: Respectful request to take the Hockey Pool results off the main page, from someone who came this close ...
9523: 3:2: What? No dryer sheet? Bo partially calls the next strip. Did Phoebe overlook C&J's relationship, or was she simply assuming that it was still all in Ceilidh's head?
9524: Support your neighborhood webcomic.
9525: 9/11 thread, written as people realized what happened and--for better and for worse--responded over the course of a week.

I knew this thread was coming, and I was dreading it. Although I didn't lose anyone I knew personally, I knew this thread would be painful to read. It was, for a variety of reasons. Please pardon me if I don't comment further.

9526: [9/11] No new comic tonight, out of respect.
9527: Erm, I'm not sure. Socked feet?
9528: Another angle on the "perfectly attractive girl" parallels.
9529: Josh's post-Avalon plans.
9530: Console RPG cliches.
9531: What will happen w/ A&H? Chanting: theme and variations. Ollie forgets there are no poor excuses for looking at some pics.
9532: 3:3: Reactions to Phoebe's reaction. WARNING: The thread is work-safe, but I can't say the same for a certain link.
9533: 3:3: But where's the FLUMP? There was supposed to be an rib-shattering FLUMP!
9534: FilmBuff 2.0 thanks Josh for the Avalon book, and for the unintended timing of the delivery.
9535: Josh finds an interesting thread in another message board--link broken.
9536: The Last Avalon Strip, as envisioned by various TV shows and movies. (Alanis as Josh?) As usual, approach any posts involving Jergen's with caution. Someone finally figures out Cecil's role in all this.
9537: Strangeone taunts us with an empty house and a full case of Barq's.
9538: 3:3: TREE WARNING!
9539: 3:4.4: Kudos for Ceilidh's last line, and the look on her face. Speculation over Phoebe's reaction. Today's "Cartoon University" strip triggers discussion on drinking songs. (Excuse me while I queue up "One Particular Harbour". No, make that the "Philosopher's Song".) Josh and DW taunt each other.
9540: Moose Droppings. No, not what you think.
9541: More Avalon card ideas. (And getting back to 9539...it's really, really hard to type and sing the "Philosopher's Song" at the same time. Even when sober.)
9542: 9/11's impact on one college football team.
9543: Josh offers beer to anyone who can predict a future strip, word for word. Is Josh likely to change the future strip to save him from buying the beer, or to save someone from a life of ignorant beer drinking?
9544: H&A revisited: Is Alan a jerk? Does H&A = R&P? Coldacid works up a guest-comic strip, and Klaus Petersen draws it (I think--link broken).
9545: 3:5: Joe is so dead. But is Ceilidh letting other people (Phoebe) decide what a "good" relationship should be, or did Phoebe merely open Ceilidh's eyes? (Someone else mentions the can of Barq's.)
9546: 3:5: Or pop, or soda, or coke (which may or may not be a product of The Coca-Cola Company--to the undoubted horror of the legal department of The Coca-Cola Company), or whatever you want to call it. The "correct" answer depends on local habits and where you were raised (and one poster provides TMI on that subject). LtPowers maps it out for us (or more accurately, finds someone else who did). The discussion branches out to adhesive bandages and sandwiches.
9547: 3:5: The four scariest words in the English languages. Is it fair for Ceilidh and Phoebe to team up on Joe? (Funny, yes. But fair?)
9548: 3:5.4: Joe's missing thought bubble.
9549: Diablo II expansion game in progress.
9550: Sunday GAS: Hammerspace time! Plus various alternative answers to the Unanswerable Question.
9551: I'm missing something here--either a few posts, or drugs, I'm not sure which.
9552: Fink The Insane checks back in.
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Avalon