AAR 90: Love And War, Part 2: 2:216-220

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

AAR 90: Love And War, Part 2: 2:216-220

Postby jeffk on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:18 pm

Next: AAR Week 91
Prev: AAR Week 89

[Edit: Added Next link]

As predicted earlier, the scene shifts to Deirdre and Ryan. Amazingly, that's not the only prediction that comes true this week.

2:216:
.1:Good old fashioned sibling rivalry. Ahh...normalcy. After the XTREEEM twistiness of the past couple of weeks, Josh finally gives us a break.

.2: For about a frame and a half.

.3: Whore? For stealing a hairbrush?

Although....Deirdre's putting her shirt on? <Brief pause, so you can insert your own gratuitous drooling-fanboy Deirdre-PSL remark here>

No...they're not...

.4: Yes...they are.

Really, really hard to twist this into anything but "yes...they are." Looks like RJ Shep called it.

2:217:

.1:
  • "How did Ryan get in here???" Phoebe, do you really want details?
  • Speaking of details, Deirdre certainly isn't claiming that things aren't as they seem. Yes, They Are.
  • Turning away from PMHP for just a moment...normally, we wouldn't worry too much about teenagers sleeping late during summer vacation. But sleeping until noon? Often enough that Deirdre and Ryan could factor that into their <cough> busy schedule? And not get caught for two months? This is not a good sign for Phoebe's emotional well-being....
.2: But before we can get distracted by PMHP or depression, Phoebe brings up Patrick. Deirdre doesn't have the luxury of nonchalantly changing the subject like she did with Ryan, so she goes for brute force.
.3: That doesn't work either. We'd like to know too...are we finally going to find out?

2:218: We finally find out.

:o

Not much else to say here...but look at .1 again. Specifically Deirdre's "'relationship with someone too good for me' flashing before my eyes" look. We'll hear a lot of "too good for me" talk from Deirdre over the next couple of days.

2:219: More of the truth comes out. Not easily--even when you know it's time to 'fess up, the words are hard to find--but it comes out.

2:220:

.1: Even harder words to find.

.3: So did Ryan stutter because he needed to calculate how long they've been together, or because his rational side realized that eight months was an awfully short time to justify saying what he was about to say?

Like Ryan, we know Deirdre's not an irresponsible slut, despite her mistakes. Unlike Ryan, we don't have to rely upon the past eight months alone to make that call, because we know she helped her dad fight his alcoholism--probably early in her OAC year, and evidently before she got pregnant, since she said her dad got her into Guelph because he owed her a favor. Er, favour. That's not the sort of responsibility your average 18-year-old or 19-year-old has to face.

.4: Ryan's going to talk to Phoebe, and it doesn't sound like threats on his life are going to stop him this time. But what will he say? Can you say, "Friday cliffhanger", boys and girls?

On to the forum, and it looks like the Keenspot boards were bouncing again.

9423: Reaction and speculation on Deirdre/Ryan/Phoebe.
9424: Signs you may be addicted to webcomic boards. Like reading old topics from 3-4 years ago <cough>
9425: 2:216: In which we discover that (a) Deirdre wasn't being sarcastic, and (b) RJ Shep called it a month ago (and rejoices mightily). Why is Phoebe going ballistic? Is she Josh's favorite character, or just the one who does the most interesting stuff (where interesting = "insert your own insulting term")? (Josh clarifies his earlier statement.) Apparently the board's instability around this time saved everyone the pain of wild, way-off-base speculations. For once.
9426: TheOges asks for feedback on his project (link broken).
9427: Post-CNAnime report, with Josh posting thumbnail pics and (non-thumbnail) sketches.
9428: Getting back to 2:215--who cheered when Joe admitted, "I think I really do"? And who wondered "I think I really do" what?
9429: Aeire confesses to some initial confusion over 2:216. BTW, remember what I said earlier about Phoebe apparently overreacting over the hairbrush? Never mind.
9430: More 2:215: Joe, a romantic?
9431: Consul seeks musicians for his Anime music project.
9432: "Love And War"...Part 2? What's the significance of "Part 2"? (Munchable studmuffin?) Can we draw parallels between Part 1 and Part 2, and does Alison fit into those parallels? (Or fantasies, depending on your point of view.)
9433: Question from bunnyThor to Josh: are the board crashes hard on him, too--especially now? (And what did DW mean by "NEXT week"...oh.)
9434: OT: What's the best Kevin Smith film?
9435: The Incredible Hatboy sees parallels between travel and Avalon plot twists, and hatches a plan.
9436: Phoebe art from AngelKnight--probably a dark view of "Phoebe's Dilemma" although the board gets distracted by Glasses PSL vs. No-Glasses PSL.
9437: Noctua does a bit of Avalon filk, a la Les Miz.
9438: 2:218: About Deirdre's what?!? After the initial reactions (equal parts shock and "called it"), what happened with/to the baby?
9439: Josh tests the forum--presumably after a board crash--and inadventently invokes He Who Bork-Bork-Borks.
9440: Subject--and possibly some of the posts--lost. The remaining posts discuss the effect (and/or lack thereof) of the forum (and/or lack thereof) on Josh's work. The board crashes eliminated opportunities "for people to accelerate the absurd theories into overdrive," so a few posters try to make up for lost time.
9441: Is Phoebe a rhymes-with-witch for telling Ryan about Deirdre's pregnancy? Or is it possible to understand why she said it, even if you disagree with her? Sex in parents house: utter disrespect, whore-like, stupid, or none of the above? (Or at least one of the above, but some of the posters admitted it didn't stop them?)
9442: Warning: possible nasty bug in the delete-post script that deletes the entire thread instead. (Probably explains a couple of the above hiccups.)
9443: LtPowers follows up last week's analysis on Ceilidh by reviewing Phoebe's situation. Her current downward spiral didn't start until the fall semester--what happened? It seems to have started around the time Deirdre came back to town--is it connected, and how? Is it just Phoebe, or is the entire Bradley family in need of help (except maybe Noelle)? Freemage has a "truly frightening vision" about Phoebe. Will Phoebe pull through before she graduates, and how? Tangent reveals the truth about Phoebe, or a delusional version. "Ah well, many questions about what's going on with Phoebe will no doubt be answered next week. And likely several more will take their place. =) "
9444: Avalon book status?
9445: Could Phoebe have been yelling at Ryan instead of Deirdre?
9446: Posters explain their screen names:
  • hats
  • books
  • more books (by way of NTN Trivia)
  • clothes (by way of Conan O'Brian's warm-up guy)
  • old school computer account policies
  • tool types
  • puns on real names
  • an excess of other screen names
  • ST:TNG parodies
  • Anime
  • Nicknames bestowed by ex (stopping just short of TMI)
  • James Bond bad guys, crossed with e-mail address puns
  • Unfortunate hairdye episodes, crossed with campus wildlife
  • Bar names
  • Proposed DJ nicks

9447: You might be an Avalonite... (Filking from the Vegemite jingle?) (PSL International?)
9448: 2:219's up. Exactly what did Deirdre's dad pay for? Josh sheds additional light on Deirdre's refusal to take care of Todd. Brief detour for DD-PSL.
9449: More odd theories.
9450: What did "An Abrupt End" mean? Josh admits he'd expected that storyline to end messily; Ceilidh and Joe apparently managed to out-twist him.
9451: Someone asks about Josh's post-Avalon plans. Discussion morphs to Eva, then Robo-Phoebe with Killer Punch Bowl Action.
9452: Ceilidh art from mzacher. Very nice. In-line link works just fine, but it's also in the Avalon art section if the in-line ever breaks. (Hey, there's a link to a larger version...ooooooooh. Very, very nice.)
9453: Summary of 2:219 turns into discussion of flying poo.
9454: Anti-Anniversary (i.e. Avalon Graduation, minus one year)
9455: PSL on the foreign currency exchange and/or Olive Garden franchise exchange.
9456: Time to stop yelling "KISS HER!" to Joe; time to start yelling "KISS HER!" to Ryan. Right?
9457: More speculation over Mrs. Bradley, and the Bradley marriage, and DD's role in it. How bad is Mrs. Bradley? Josh refutes the half-sister theory, and confirms the "favour=help w/ alcoholism" theory. "man... I'm starting to think this forum is one big pot, and everyone here was given a stick, and by god, they WILL stir this pot!"
9458: Avalon as a TV cartoon?
9459: Avalon and Anime similarities
9460: Off to university...
9461: chrisracer realizes who Slithy Tove is. Other posters realize that...equipment...is missing.
9462: Fanart from Caster13. Link's broken; it's now here under "Image 126".
9463: 2:220: Did Deirdre stutter because of the pain of discussing the miscarriage, or because it wasn't really a miscarriage? What is Ryan going to do--talk calmly to Phoebe, open a can of whoop-ass, or something in between? Will Phoebe explain why she's been feeling...the way she's been feeling?
9464: 2:220: More speculation on the upcoming Ryan/Phoebe conversation. Josh Cleese. "heh... I was just thinking, if Columbo was a police officer in Avalon, none of us would have been so trusting as to believe he was actually married. : )"
9465: Speculation on the wrong sister branches off to randomness.
9466: What is Ryan going to do next? Josh fills in a few details on Ryan's thought process, triggering a few computer science puns along the way. Why was Joe more vague than Ryan when discussing love, even though Joe hadn't been lied to?
9467: Poster asks about Guelph.
9468: 2:220: Shouldn't Ryan remember how long they've been together? "Josh tends to use a... a stutter as a shorthand for an emotional hit. See most of last week."
9469: Broken Big Panda drop-down on main page.
9470: After the speculation about Deirdre's stutter in 2:220, The Incredible Hatboy asks Josh if Deirdre was telling the truth, or if she was trying to cover up an abortion. Josh confirms that she miscarried, but also mentions that she's dealing with more than we see in the comic (which is more than he actually meant to show). And no, there are no fake names. One gratuitous Monty Python reference, and one gratuitous Evil Image With Pun.
9471: Avalon sequels/prequels? The idea is shot down, but not without a few shots at Star Wars movie titles.
9472: Genericon take-over, anyone?
9473: More support for Ryan.
9474: Poutine, poutine equivalents, and other things that can harden arteries at 50 paces.
9475: What would (will) our favorite Avalonians be like as adults?
9476: Most/least favorite Avalon characters, and couple you'd like most? Phoebe makes at least one appearance on all three lists (although not from the same person). And so does Alison.
9477: Any more Sunday GAS?
9478: Stig channels The Godfather's henchmen...well, tries to, anyway...triggering a discussion of computer game guns.
Last edited by jeffk on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Marcos on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 pm

Just for the record, I don't see sleeping until noon to be that unusual. I did so all the time during high school and college. Of course, I also stayed up until 4 AM on a regular basis.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jeffk on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Marcos wrote:Just for the record, I don't see sleeping until noon to be that unusual. I did so all the time during high school and college. Of course, I also stayed up until 4 AM on a regular basis.

True...I wouldn't have thought twice about anyone else sleeping 'til noon. (I liked to sleep late, but I don't think I could ever sleep that late.) And we don't know how late Phoebe slept before her mood started dropping off the map.

But there's a difference between "sleeping in" and "not wanting to get out of bed", and a lot of the evidence in Phoebe's case points to the latter. I've seen the latter in RL, too.
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:21 pm

I did have the complete week coloured, but I got banned from the computers for 10 days. So I only have three done, and I'll have two by next week.

[EDIT: No colours for you, SP42!]

Hopefully these'll end up in the vault, or else on Packy's.
Last edited by Mcfarlane Salsa on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:40 am

REDHEADS!
THEY'RE REDHEADS!
YOU FOOL!
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:08 pm

jeffk wrote:
Marcos wrote:Just for the record, I don't see sleeping until noon to be that unusual. I did so all the time during high school and college. Of course, I also stayed up until 4 AM on a regular basis.

True...I wouldn't have thought twice about anyone else sleeping 'til noon. (I liked to sleep late, but I don't think I could ever sleep that late.) And we don't know how late Phoebe slept before her mood started dropping off the map.

But there's a difference between "sleeping in" and "not wanting to get out of bed", and a lot of the evidence in Phoebe's case points to the latter. I've seen the latter in RL, too.

I slept in until noon today. It's not hard at all. Of course, I was up until past 1 last night, but I could sleep to noon even if I went to bed at midnight.

Though, Ryan and Deirdre would have to be quiet. It might be sleeping that late, but I find that it's a light sleep. Especially with the light shining in the window. You wake up and fall back asleep a lot.

Anywho, this is probably my favourite storyline. Josh just goes overboard on the drama, and does it in a way that seems so real. Kudos to the author for writing such a riveting story.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby jeffk on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Though, Ryan and Deirdre would have to be quiet. It might be sleeping that late, but I find that it's a light sleep. Especially with the light shining in the window. You wake up and fall back asleep a lot.

That's the same way I sleep late. 3/4 sleep, 1/4 day-dream. Doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like.

One of the forum topics a couple of AARs ago speculated on Ryan and Deirdre's love life. The subject was "Deeds is probably a screamer" or words to that effect. :o I was going to say that she probably had to control her volume during those late-morning sessions...

...but then last night, one of our kids accidentally set off the burglar alarm. (Bed's too close to the window, window's too jam-packed with stuffed animals, blinds, and what-have-you, and one of them must have bumped against the window too hard.)

I flew out of bed in a rush, checked and reset the alarm, verified all was well, then checked on the kids. One was only marginally awake, and the other two--one of whom was responsible for bumping the window--were still sound asleep, despite the LOUD siren squalling to beat the band.

If Phoebe's sleep was even remotely that deep, screaming's probably not a problem :roll:

And I was going to thank McFS for the colored strips, but I procrastinated too long....
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 pm

jeffk wrote:And I was going to thank McFS for the colored strips, but I procrastinated too long....

Yeah, but Spaceman has a point. They're redheads dammit! It's important.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:42 am

Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:23 pm

Ah. Much better. Good job Mr Salsa
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby jeffk on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 pm

I second that "Ah". :-)
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby JHU Battousai on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:34 am

Pretty.... They're in the Vault now, along with one from Hai-Etlik and one from me.

Grad school's keeping me busy, but I still read through the forum here every month or so, I just don't post.
The Lynch Vault - Avalon Stats, Code, and Color
Avalon Code 1.01a(r5): R+++ S+ F+ IRC+ FA-- GA- FF SN+ SA+ CMV+++ LY+ f{C++ D 1:63} D{T-- I-} rR PSL P{CJ+ L!- I*-- RD++) !W
JHU Battousai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:28 am

Yeah!
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fool on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:57 am

Spaceman42 wrote:REDHEADS!
THEY'RE REDHEADS!
YOU FOOL!

I leave the forum for two and a half weeks and they forget.

ME FOOL!
ME!
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Fool on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:00 am

She will sleep 'til noon but before it's dark
She'll have ev'ry picnic basket that's in Avalon Park
Phoebe has it better than a millionaire
That's because she's smarter than the average bear!
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Return to Avalon