AAR 82: The Farewell: 2:176-180

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

AAR 82: The Farewell: 2:176-180

Postby jeffk on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:33 am

Next: AAR Week 83
Prev: AAR Week 81

[Edit: Added next week's pointer]

Since we haven't had enough twistiness lately, let's party!

This turns out to be a twist-free week, but Josh secretly sets up the next twist in the last frame of the week.

2:176
Who thought Iain could actually be subtle?

BTW, disregard my question last week about the strip renumbering. Judging from Josh's comment on the boards, he fixed the numbering here.

2:177:

.2:
Ghada's graduating, Iain's returning home, Who's on first, What's on second....
.3:
Only one party, Ryan? Another geek thing he needs to work on.
.4:
Oh, of course...double the opportunities for twistiness and heartbreak!

2:178:
Joe enjoyed this way too much--even more than calling Ceilidh a heartless fiend last week!

2:179:
.2:
Nope, she's not stressed at all! Whatever gave you that idea?

.4:
She's right, Joe. Running out of striking distance seems to be indicated.

2:180:

.2:
Looks like driver's licenses are still scarce in this group.

.3:
Earth calling Iain, come in Iain...

.4:
...oh, never mind.

Observe Alison's reaction to Iain's miniskirt-chasing. Seems like innocent background activity, but we'll hear a lot more about this next week.

Forum diving time:

9074: Josh asks for pointers on Iain's accent. He gets a few actual suggestions, wedged between discussions of accent vs. dialect vs. language, plus the War of 1812.
9075: 2:176: What mission? Was Iain simply trying to get a party scheduled for him? Is he in cahoots with Ceilidh somehow? Josh announces it's the former, because he doesn't "want *this* of all things blowing out of proportion." (Leading Dent to wonder what things Josh does want to blow out of proportion.)
9076: 2:176: Asha drools over Iain. At least one person volunteers to fill in.
9077: 2:176: Is Iain leaving for good, or just for the summer? How is Josh going to tie up all the romantic loose ends, especially since there's already more girls in the cast than boys, and one boy's leaving?
9078: I (Jeff) think this week's survey question was, "How often do you check for Avalon updates?" DW proposes an alternate question <cough> with the same answers.
9079: 2:177: Joe smiles! How rare is that? Kaoru provides a definitive answer. (Does drooling/gawking at out-of-school Ceilidh in a dress count?)
9080: Lostfactor's web site update. C&C on the site layout.
9081: Ceilidh fan art from Kaoru--this one, I think.
9082: This week's strips, colored by davey3000.
9083: Discussion of the previous thread's colored strips, plus a bit of speculation on the plot.
9084: Can Canadian Lynchers save money on the book's shipping charges by pooling their money together for one bulk purchase?
9085: Anyone interested in starting up a live Anime music band?
9086: Phoebe fan art from Damonk (link broken)
9087: What happened to the Scooby Doo cross-over? Couple of theories from Fool and gwalla.
9088: Josh posts the Ceilidh drawing that's going on the Keenspot convention banner, life-sized, 5'7" (including hair, probably). Along with about forty other Keenspot characters--sorry, but Josh can't auction it off afterwards. (Stand-ups of the cast, maybe?)
9089: At least one high school inmate's on parole for the summer--woot!
9090: If this was a superhero strip, what would be the cast's superhero identities?
9091: Hai-Etlik posts a color reference for the characters and uniforms.
9092: Mzacher's fan art of the real brains behind everything.
9093: Quattro finishes his Ceilidh fan art. Bucks tradition and goes for a purple dress instead, to the approval of the board. Jennifer Lopez's thighs vs. Ceilidh's thighs: compare and contrast.
9094: DW spots something familiar in Funny Farm.
9095: Broken links on Josh's comic-links page.
9096: Promo for another comic. Degenerates (but can spam degenerate?) into a Sinfest vs. Avalon flame-fest.
9097: Ucchan's having problems signing up on IRC.
9098: The Evil Beaver catches up from unscheduled and forced downtime (router died @ library).
9099: bunnyThor asks for goodness knows what. Goodness knows why. And Diet Mountain Dew may be evil, but it's nothing compared to lutefisk.
9100: Josh posts his approval of davey3000's colored strips for this week.
9101: Strangeone reminds negZ of something.
9102: Ucchan makes it onto IRC! And CrystalForest and The Evil Beaver demonstrate Ceilidh-style courtship.
9103: Any reason why Ryan's hair seems particularly "mussed" lately? <wink wink nudge nudge> Looks like everyone's getting bigger hair--and with good reason.
9104: CCBE news: Josh reports that he and the Keenspot banner (a.k.a the life-size Ceilidh drawing) will be there. Convention-goers discuss logistics, as does the IMF.
9105: So...is Ghada good looking? (BTW, I wouldn't suggest "without glasses" too loudly around the It's Walky! crowd if I were you. It's the IW board's considered opinion that "glasses" and "good looking" are not mutually exclusive. Come to think of it, this board is home to the Great Glasses Contest, so maybe this isn't the best place to mention it either.)
9106: Coldacid (The Evil Beaver) places an ad for his icepit.
9107: New chapter: And no idea if "Operation Cheer-Up-Phoebe" went well? Josh (ISB that he is) announces that there will actually be three farewells, throwing the board into a frenzy of speculation (as usual :-) ). Stig Hemmer comes closest with one of his alternate theories.
9108: Is Josh a fool, or is Fool the fool? (Nope, coldacid beats him to the punchline this time.) Who's Damonk (and how much), who's not Damonk, who's NotDamonk, who's not NotDamonk, and does "not NotDamonk" equal Damonk?
9109: Maverick Camel Publishing (the book's publisher) asks if any non-US residents would be willing to set up shop to produce and ship MCP products (such as the book) in their own country. He knows international shipping costs are keeping buyers away, but he can't find a cheaper way to ship.
9110: OT: Did Disney rip off Nadia to make Atlantis, or did everyone work from the same source material? Discussion spreads to include other movies. Coota's alternative view of Starship Troopers is probably the most intriguing review since Ebert wrote that maybe, just maybe, Plan 9 from Outer Space was supposed to be awful. And for similar reasons. The Princess Diaries proves that Hollyweird still hasn't a clue about the Babe Factor of glasses.
9111: Avalon soundtrack, revisited.
9112: 2:180: Who's the girl in the miniskirt? (Random girl from the class--not Ceilidh.) Does Alison need to look more feminine? (No, she's less likely to give a flip about fashion than anyone else in Avalon.) Where are they? (At a restaurant) The thread continues after 2:181 goes up: why is Alison so hostile toward Iain? (Why, indeed....)
9113: 2:180: "Nnnggueeuh?" Huh? Dent comes up with the best bluff.
9114: The Incredible Hatboy is speechless after watching an Evangelion episode. Branches into a discussion of the various endings of the various versions, cost of DVD vs. video, where/how to buy Anime, faves vs. non-faves. I'm not Wise In The Ways Of Anime, myself, so I can't comment.
9115: Something from #avalon spills over into the board. I'm not sure what, which is probably a good thing.
9116: RevMe sees the chapter title, gets worried about Phoebe, and freaks out. But don't worry, Josh wouldn't do that. Unless he does.
9117: Drooling over the guest strip (not sure which one, though).
9118: Hai-Etlik finishes coloring "How Coffee and Doughnuts Destroyed My Life."
9119: Another theory on the third "farewell": maybe Ryan says farewell to privacy by bringing Deirdre to the party?
9120: More planning for the Avalon movie.
9121: Someone asks NegZ if he did the "punk girl" drawing he found somewhere on-line.
9122: Is #avalon better than the forum alone?
9123: Consul announces he's losing his net.connection for a while.
9124: Vampire Hunter D comes out. On blood colors (copper vs. iron, with or without oxygen) and tastes. Beware authors bearing puns.
Last edited by jeffk on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: AAR 82: The Farewell: 2:176-180

Postby tappel on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:40 pm

jeffk wrote:This turns out to be a twist-free week, but Josh secretly sets up the next twist in the last frame of the week.

Well, not much twistiness indeed, unless you count the GAS by Stig Hemmer and Pauline Hewitt. ;)

It is one of my all-time favourite guest strips, and not less so because it almost seemed plausible at the moment.

The other GAS (by Mark and Elizabeth Sherry) is also quite a nice work, I like the expressions.

- tappel
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jeffk on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 pm

Ack, and I meant to talk about them! I liked both of them too, especially the Stig Hemmer/Pauline Hewitt GAS. Just when you thought it couldn't get any twistier...
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: AAR 82: The Farewell: 2:176-180

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:55 am

jeffk wrote:.4:
...oh, never mind.

Observe Alison's reaction to Iain's miniskirt-chasing. Seems like innocent background activity, but we'll hear a lot more about this next week.

Which is one of my favourites of all, so I'm tuning in to say that Alison's audible squirming is because she wishes Iain would ogle her for once.

jeffk wrote:9074: Josh asks for pointers on Iain's accent. He gets a few actual suggestions, wedged between discussions of accent vs. dialect vs. language, plus the War of 1812.

It's a damn shame I wasn't around then, because there doesn't seem to have been many Australian Lynchers at that time. Australian accents are more tightly bound to culture than to geography, but I would pick Iain's accent as coming from outback Queensland. I even got as far as giving him a surname and a home town in a fanfic that I almost wrote once: Iain Murray, Longreach, Queensland 4730. It is also the accepted birthplace of Qantas, which was not coincidental to the story I was trying to write
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Avalon