The end of "Avalon", in more ways than one

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby DaFalcon on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:50 pm

Fourded. Uhm, well. You know what I mean! I have really enjoyed listening to Sd'A on my iPod and thinking of all the Avalon twistiness over the years.
DaFalcon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigMal27 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:52 pm

( I apologize if I say something that was already said. I didn't read the thread carefully; too much emotion. )

Sure... I checked the site no more than a week before Sir Josh said what he said, and so I see it late. And then I'm so shocked I don't even check the forum (which I had plenty of time for at that time) until now.

But you all know me: late to the discussion as always.

And that is the root of it for me: Avalon was the only reason I started into the KeenSpot forums and ended up registering. Avalon was the only comic -- web or print -- I ever did a fan-fic or fan-art for. The Book is the only web-based comic strip anthology I have, and it remains the highest in stature alongside my Dilbert, Garfield, Heathcliff and Calvin & Hobbes books. (And C&H was good s**t, especially the last strip.)

( It was writing my Avalon fan-fic three years ago that saved me from a post-9/11 depression and brought me hope that led me to graduation from college. Now, I have finished graduate school, and to have Avalon end is a perfect finish to the first 24.5 years of my life: I have a new car, and hopefully I'll soon have a new full-time job and a new home. )

So let it be said again: Thank you, Josh Phillips, for sharing your vision, talents and time with us. You have made your mark in this Universe, and I hope to see your creations again soon. And I promise that tomorrow, I'll read the archives one last time. For you, and the cast that lived through your works -- oh, how they seem like dear friends, saying goodbye at graduation...

But there's more than just what Josh gave us... Thank you to all of the regular forum-goers, who shared their own imaginations, talents and time, who took a simple comic strip and turned it into a way of life which I am glad -- even proud -- to be part of. Although I never contributed much, I was reading and enjoying the antics and the art. Do not take this the wrong way, but with the passing of the strip, so ends my visits to this realm of the Inter-Web. Peace and happiness be with you all.

Do I miss seeing the ending as Josh intended? Of course; who doesn't? But that has been covered. There are questions, as others have posted, but they would have been asked either way. And I will miss hearing the final renditions of "Souvenirs d'Avalon". For now, let us just remember, but not forget that we -- like life -- must move on, as Josh has shown us.

Josh, fellow Avalon-lovers, farewell... (until next time!)

--Brian K. Malerich

"It was... fun." --Captain James T. Kirk, "Star Trek: Generations"
BigMal + Agent #27 = BIGMAL27
One Person / Two Faces / Infinite Possibilities
Comics are Life -- Everything else helps you enjoy them all the more.
Go read The 6 GUYS In My Head
http://www.6GUYS.com/
BigMal27
Keenspotter Supreme

please don't lynch me

Postby magecrafter on Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:07 am

Maybe I should have submitted that third guest strip after all...

Thanks for the story, Josh. That's really the only way to put it.

The only thing I'm really disappointed about (and maybe I'm mistaken) is that the last Avalon "official" comic was the drinking problem strip. This may be too much to ask considering what you have given, but maybe just a "graduation photo" comic just to give Avalon one last hurrah. (Plus it would make a pretty nice poster.)

Please don't lynch me...

-jokermage(@gmail.com)

PS- Actually I think I'd be more likely to be lynched for that third guest strip I never submitted :)
magecrafter
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Symok on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:10 pm

As we go on, we remember
All the times we've had together
And as our lives change, come whatever
We will still be
Friends forever

Just another thought I felt like adding, the lyrics fit quite well, of course, considering its a graduation song...

I had planned a CMV to it as well as "Time of your Life" to post after the final strip. I may still do them, at some point, using what resources are available... They will be posted to AMV.org (And possibly here, if there is still activity of any degree) when and if they are ever completed...

*hands Josh a Molson* Josh, once again, thank you.
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:11 am

Symok wrote:I had planned a CMV to it as well as "Time of your Life" to post after the final strip. I may still do them, at some point, using what resources are available... They will be posted to AMV.org (And possibly here, if there is still activity of any degree) when and if they are ever completed...

*hands Josh a Molson* Josh, once again, thank you.

I'd definitely love to see it.

As long as people post -some- thing in the area, I'll probably stop by here at least semi-regularly.

Hmm... similar note: Does anyone have a compiled strip archive, or do I have to 'force' myself to go through the entire run myself? :wink:
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Symok on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:52 pm

I have everything up to May 16, 2002 strip 3:139. At some point, Ill try to do it this week, I'll download the rest and make them all available in a ZIP archive to anyone who wants them.
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 am

Yeah, that'd be cool. I have all the strips, but some are named by their date of creation, and some by their in-comic date. So it's all a big mess, and it will be nice to have them all sorted properly.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby 32_footsteps on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:11 pm

Well, this name might ring a bell to a few people here, as perhaps one of the creators of one of the more odd Avalon tributes. But yeah...

Seems to me the only appropriate thing I can think of is REM's "Half A World Away." So I recommend people look it up/listen to it. Just my own odd little thought.

Just curious - am I the only one who finds bitter irony that this came along just before the NHL started a possibly suicidal lockout?

And Josh... it was a great run. This Barq's is for you.
32_footsteps
Junior Keenspotter

Postby 32_footsteps on Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:43 am

Presuming anyone is still reading this thread, I do have one more question...

Did Phoebe ever apologize to Ryan for pushing him away so much at the strip's beginning? She told him how she liked how he kept coming back. There was even the hint that, in some way, she liked him. And what did happen had to sting a bit for Ryan. Did Phoebe ever think to apologize?
32_footsteps
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:26 pm

I don't think so.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Q99 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:03 pm

I think if she might, she'll do it at a later point. She's still recovering (from stuff in general), while Ryan's given up on his trying to get her a long time ago.

In a year or two, I could definitely see her getting around to thinking back, and then subsequently apologizing.
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Given that Ryan and Deirdre are a genuine article, and that Phoebe respects Deirdre well enough, Ryan and Phoebe are going to have to get over it sometime. But for now, the two will be on opposite ends of the province.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:06 am

Whoa, hey, he's alive! ;)
Thanks for the info, Josh. It's nice to know at least Ryan and Deirdre are gonna be happy (at least after Ryan and Phoebe talk it over, let's just hope it won't be too long).
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby TheAuldGrump on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:30 am

Shhhh, you'll frighten him off...

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:26 am

I was hoping to distract him long enough for you to grab him from behind... :)
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:53 pm

*sigh* Third time asking this, but:

What happened to Pascale? Since Noelle is underage and the other Bradley sisters are... 'unavailable', shall we say?

It's tough, being a redhead-fancier.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 pm

Oh yeah, Pascale. She was kinda cute, wasn't she?
I guess she went on with her journalism career...
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby PeteLumpy on Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:32 pm

Keep it Real Josh.
PeteLumpy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:43 pm

Symok wrote:I have everything up to May 16, 2002 strip 3:139. At some point, Ill try to do it this week, I'll download the rest and make them all available in a ZIP archive to anyone who wants them.

Any word on this?
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jaxartes on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:24 pm

To Josh: Thank you for creating such a beautiful webcomic. While I regret that you weren't able to bring it to the ideal conclusion, I'm grateful that you brought it to a closure. Avalon now stands as a complete piece of work, and a considerable one. I wish you luck in whatever you turn your efforts toward now.

To the forumgoers: There's a reason this was the only forum I read for years. That reason is you. When Avalon was active this was such a fun place to hang out online. I wish you all the best in whatever paths you take; maybe our paths will cross sometime.

Technical question: Are there plans to keep the Avalon archive online indefinitely? There's a place on the web for finished works (which Avalon is) as well as works in progress. Josh, are you planning to keep this site around? If not, willing to let someone make a long term archive site?
Jaxartes
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby limestonecity on Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:09 pm

si finis bonus est, totum bonum erit
limestonecity
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby damicovu on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:18 pm

."... my life has changed since six years ago..." -- as predicted by Roxy Music:

[i]When the samba takes you
Out of nowhere
And the background
damicovu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby tappel on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:53 am

Not much of a forumer, myself.

Avalon is an important story for many reasons. I think the biggest factor for me has been that the characters _feel_ real. They all have desires, hopes and fears and they develop and learn from their experiences. They may first seem stereotypical, but after learning to know them better, it is clear that they aren't. Each of them is an individual, unique person, and the relations between them aren't necessarily simple or fixed either.

I think Avalon is one of the most important pieces of work among webcomics, and will always be.

Thank you, Josh.

PS. KAH, if you're reading this, I will be checking the forum every once in a while to see if there's anything new about Sd'A, which is an impressive achievement in itself, while being a more than worthy tribute to the comic.

-tappel
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Josh Phillips on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:03 pm

I don't think I ever really mentioned this, but it keeps coming to mind as people continue to comment on Avalon's run:

I really appreciate all of the kind words. For a while I was dismayed that Avalon's conclusion went by rather silently; the rest of the webcomics community seems to have missed it, and there's been no fanfare. But instead, readers have been going out of their way to let me know how important Avalon was, and I've realized that's far higher praise.

So my thanks go out to everyone who's chimed in here, because every single "thank you" makes me feel better about what I've done, and it makes it a lot easier for me to move forward (no, I haven't freed myself of the webcomic bug quite yet).

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:04 pm

Oh, hey, it's The Man himself!
Josh, you have no idea how good that sentence in parenthesis sounds :)
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon