The end of "Avalon", in more ways than one

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby BanditAngel on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:04 am

First off, I'd like to echo what lironmiron said. It's something I felt very strongly, but couldn't find the words for.

You managed to create an incredible story, with charecters that truly felt *real*; a plot that truly moved me. It is something I've only ever encounted in two other works of fiction. I can honestly say that Avalon is one of the three pieces of fiction that I truly treasure.

I also wanted to thank you for giving it a proper conclusion, even if it wasn't in comic format. The ending, to me, is one of the most important parts of a story, the part that completes it, and Avalon is a much stronger work for being so completed. You managed to create an incredibly complex plotline, with a delicious series of intertwined aspects, and did a beautiful job of bringing each one to it's conclusion. There was also an incredible sense of pacing, especially your ever-evil friday cliffhangers :)

Finally, I just want to thank you for creating Avalon, and offering it freely. I feel strange saying this, but Avalon really was an important part of my life. When I first found it, way back on strip 200, I was going through a rather rough situation, and Avalon gave me something to look forward to, a little light on a dreary world.

It was also the center of a great community, which was a delight to participate in. I still fondly remember the 200th strip Gala, and the incredibly intricate speculation on plot.

-BanditAngel, wishing you luck in your life, and stifling a tear from the ending of a truly beautiful piece of work.
BanditAngel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby dumas on Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:12 am

It's a very very long while ago than I didn't posted here :oops:

I discovered Avalon at the time I discovered the world of webcomics like Sluggy Freelance, User Friendly, GPF, Kevin & Kell, Alice.

Thank you very much for created Avalon Josh :) we'll miss your characters a lot.

I wonder if some fanartists will do some fanarts of a 5th or 10th Avalon high school reunion? We could imagine what will happens to our favorites characters in the next couple of years ;)
dumas
Keenspotter Supreme

Thank you

Postby mhwood on Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:14 am

Twisty to the bitter end, like a corkscrew. And leave 'em laughing.

Thank you, Josh, for sharing your stories. Thank you for having the courage to face the situation squarely. Thank you for finishing the story *anyway* -- that's craftsmanship.

You made me care about those kids, and I'm going to miss them.

Best wishes.
mhwood
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:54 am

A great ending to a great comic.
Thanks Josh, and good luck.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Null Pointer on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:06 pm

Wow... I am moved enough to actually create an account to make one post...

Thanks Josh, for giving us more than we could reasonably hope for (but then we are not reasonable people are we?) with both the comic, and letting us know how you envisioned it ending.

It is almost fitting that Avalon be an
"Expectation means you really think you know
what's coming next.. well you don't"- Husker Du- These Important Years
Null Pointer
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Iain Murray on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:44 pm

Aw, where'd everybody go? Brings a tear to yer eye, even.

Anyway hows about a bit of kulcha? Believe it or not, all us Year 12s sang this at our graduation. It's called Gaudeamus Igitur and it was written in 1781 by C. W. Kindeleben:

Gaudeamus igitur
Juvenes dum sumus
Post jucundam juventutem
Post molestam senectutem
Nos habebit humus.

Ubi sunt qui ante nos
In mundo fuere?
Vadite ad superos
Transite in inferos
Hos si vis videre.

Vita nostra brevis est
Brevi finietur.
Venit mors velociter
Rapit nos atrociter
Nemini parcetur.

Vivat academia
Vivant professores
Vivat membrum quodlibet
Vivat membra quaelibet
Semper sint in flore.

Vivant omnes virgines
Faciles, formosae.
Vivant et mulieres
Tenerae amabiles
Bonae laboriosae.

Vivant et republica
et qui illam regit.
Vivat nostra civitas,
Maecenatum caritas
Quae nos hic protegit.

Pereat tristitia,
Pereant osores.
Pereat diabolus,
Quivis antiburschius
Atque irrisores.

Translation:

Let us rejoice therefore
While we are young.
After a pleasant youth
After a troublesome old age
The earth will have us.

Where are they
Who were in the world before us?
You may cross over to heaven
You may go to hell
If you wish to see them.

Our life is brief
It will be finished shortly.
Death comes quickly
Atrociously, it snatches us away.
No one is spared.

Long live the school!
Long live the teachers!
Long live each male student!
Long live each female student!
May they always flourish!

Long live all maidens
Easy and beautiful!
Long live mature women also,
Tender and lovable
And full of good labour.

Long live the State
And the One who rules it!
Long live our City
And the charity of benefactors
Which protects us here!

Let sadness perish!
Let haters perish!
Let the devil perish!
Let whoever is against our school,
Who laughs at it, perish!
Take off, ya hoser.
Iain Murray
Junior Keenspotter

Postby dumas on Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:11 pm

Red Herring wrote:
Why is Nancy so happy? I thought she was upset that she couldn't ruin their relationships herself as revenge. Is it just because of her boyfriend or is there something else? Who is her boyfriend? Roman? For that matter, who is Alan's new girlfriend? What happened on the road trip? Is Ceilidh still doing media studies? What about Gar?

As for Nancy and Alan.... I wondered although it's doubtful than they could date each other? :o

I wonder if someone will do a fanart of all the Avalon gang waving and saying to their readers "good bye, maybe we'll see you soon"
dumas
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zathras10 on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:46 pm

dumas wrote:I wonder if someone will do a fanart of all the Avalon gang waving and saying to their readers "good bye, maybe we'll see you soon"

Hey, I'm just waiting for fanart of The Kiss.

Have I mentioned that I'm shallow?

Z.
I was planning on saying something evil and threatening, but I think my actions speak for themselves. --Head Alien
Zathras10
Junior Keenspotter

Location: South Dakota. No, really, South Dakota. Now you know one.

Postby MarkusN on Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:39 pm

dumas wrote:As for Nancy and Alan.... I wondered although it's doubtful than they could date each other? :o

Josh wrote:Alan shows up with a Grade 12 girl that few people recognize

So, unless Nancy repeats a year without us noticing, not going to happen.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby RJ Shep on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:22 pm

Add my thanks to the multiplicity already heaped up, Josh. Avalon was my first regular webcomic, and one of my first forum communities as well. Not only that, but you graciously allowed myself and others to hijack your characters and fan-fic them into absurdity; I've learned a lot thereby. Thanks go to Nick, Wapiko, Animal, Coota- yeah, even you, GN- and anyone else I've forgotten. Special thanks to Tae for inspiring some of my best work here. It has been something special.
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:29 am

RJ Shep wrote: yeah, even you, GN-

:P back at ya
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Crysania on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:54 am

drag wrote:Hello all, long-time reader first-time poster.

I see I'm in good company :)

I'm gonna miss this comic and this place - although I never posted here, I loved reading the crazy speculations.

Thanks for making a great thing, Josh, and I hope you go back to your webcomic-creating someday, but good luck in whatever you do.
Keenspot Favorites: Dominic Deegan, El Goonish Shive, Queen Of Wands, Suburban Jungle

"I don't care what you do for a living. If you love it, you are a success." ~ George Burns
Crysania
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby llorcalon on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:29 am

just heard the news on IW.
well, the selfish part of me says "damn you, you could have at least drawn the ending!"

fortunatley that isnt the part thats at the steering wheel.

well, im gonna miss this strip, i know it had to end sometime, but still.... :cry:

i gonna leave it at that before i do somthing unmanly,

see you around sometime, possible cousin josh.

llorcallon
aka russell phillips
i have the mind of a criminal genius-
its in the fridge,next to mumsy....
llorcalon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mravac Kid on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:34 am

It's been good while it lasted. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

How long will the archives stay up, and are they sorted and numbered properly now?

Will anyone be doing a fan-finish to the series? ;)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Symok on Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:32 pm

One more thanks to add to the massing pile, Josh.

Avalon was, truly, the best webcomic and story that I've read. You have an amazing talent, and I hope you are able to put it to use again some day.

Even if the ending never gets drawn, I'm glad to have at least read the ending in text form. *sadly moves 'Avalon' from his 'suspended' comic folder to the "finished" comic folder*

Thanks for everything, Josh. Its been a great ride. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavours.

*salutes the Great Lord of Twisitness*

It's something unpredictable, but in the end its right.

I hope you had the time of your life
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby DaFalcon on Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 pm

A thousand (and three) word essay:

(yes, that is me. A far cry from me in: http://www.avalonhigh.com/d/20000319.html )
DaFalcon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wildmartin on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:02 am

A goodbye to Avalon; it seems we all knew the day would come, but with the delays I always kinda hoped that we'd keep getting updates every few months. :)

All good things . . . I suppose.

Avalon was the very 1st webcomic I ever read. I'm not even sure how I ran across it to begin with now, but I sure am glad I did. It was great getting to know you, your characters and the community created around your work, Josh Phillips. Good luck with your future endeavors and have a great life.
Proud Member of Urban's Quills since October 1, 2001

Owner of the 99,000 CRFH post!

"Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really understand the situation."--Edward R. Murrow

pi

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
Wildmartin
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mav on Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:18 pm

Wow, talk about mixed emotions...

A little bit of disapointment that the ending won't be drawn.
Acceptance that it has to be that way.
Happiness that we get to know what happens.
Sadness that it's finally over.

Thanks, Josh.

I just re-read all of Roomies/It's Walky over the weekend, now I'm going to have to re-read Avalon! I wonder how many times this is now?
Mav
Keenspotter Supreme

Is all lost?

Postby Vishae on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:59 am

As with everyone else who is writing here, I too, am feeling mixed feeling at the loss of this brilliant webcomic. True, there were months where there were no comics, but at least whenever we feel like it, if its six months down the track or even a year, we could come back and hold the hope to finding something new here.
Now it's all officially over, even the ending has been given to us. I wan to rant and rave at it all, but I know that Josh is feeling bad about all this without me burdening him with my complaints.
This was the first webcomic, the one that started it all, and I was wondering, would this forum be staying up? Would fans be drawing the ending?
I don't want this to end, to me it feels like I'm experiencing the end of my high school years again... you know what I mean?
Vishae
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby StClair on Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:33 pm

I wish it didn't have to end...
But thanks for giving it an ending.

Dang, I'm gonna miss this place.
*sigh*
StClair
Junior Keenspotter

Postby The Masked Lurker on Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:37 pm

<<a tall lanky figure steps from the shadows. he doffs his broad-brimed hat revealing a mop of brown hair. through the dark glasses he wears, tears can be seen forming in his eyes.>>

Thank you, Josh. In the past six years, you have created a masterpiece. This comic can only go down in history as one of the most influencial comics, web or otherwise.

It's sad to see it end. I haven't had this feeling since I heard that Peanuts was coming to an end. This strip will live on, even though it's over.

So long, Avalon! It's amazing how much you captured, not my high school years, but my college years. Now that college is behind me, this is a fitting end to a work of art. The end of a season of my life.

The loyal followers who made it this far should be commended. My friends, we were there. When future cartoonists talk about the influence Avalon had on them, we can stand tall and proud and know we were there until the end.

A community. A universe. A way of life. There will be many who will look back on these forums to see a social experiment that may never be duplicated. The hours I've spent lurking on the forums, attempting to piece the puzzle together... The many different people whom, even though I've never met them, I feel that I know. This may be Avalon's lasting tribute. Are there any other comics that have drawn so many, from so varied backgrounds and cultures? Maybe a handful. I doubt even that many.

Thank you, Josh for at least not leaving your fans hanging. Your love for Avalon, and your concern for your fans will never be argued. You have accomplished what so many others have attempted. And much more. The story line was much more than art. It was life. And life is the hardest thing to duplicate.

Good luck, Josh! May you find great success in whatever avenue of life you choose to venture down. When you find success, fame, and fortune, remember:

We'll always have Avalon!

<<the figure pulls a handkerchief from his pocket, blows, and turns to head back into the shadows>>

Somebody please tell Fool to clean the ceiling before he goes.
The Masked Lurker
Junior Keenspotter

Postby K A H on Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:20 pm

It appears Fate has a bizarre sense of humour.... shortly after the final curtain falls in the early scenes of Act 5 of "Avalon", my parents gear up to move into a block of flats in Singapore bearing the moniker of Avalon. It's probable that I'll still think of Sir Josh's late creative endeavour when I hear the name "Avalon" rather than my parents' domicile for the next few years, so close has the association been for the past few years! :P

Oh, and for what it's worth, Sd'A has seen some small progress over the last few weeks.... I'm not sure if I'll end up posting it, though, I'm rather worried that by the time it finally sees completion as a set of twenty-four pieces in all the major and minor keys, its audience will have long since departed (having seen the moribund state into which other webcomic boards have entered upon the final strips of their main subject coupled with the moribund state in which this forum has been dwelling since the ultimately permanent hiatus began, I suspect activity in this forum will probably fade into silence before long).

K.A.H.
With that doomsaying attitude, perhaps I should take up journalism. :P
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:33 pm

I'm still looking forward to the completion of Sd'A.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:50 am

Marcos wrote:I'm still looking forward to the completion of Sd'A.

Seconded. After all, I'm hosting it, am I not?
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:36 am

Thirded. I'm eagerly awaiting it. Also, look at the bright side: at least with so few people still here, it won't use too much bandwidth ;)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon