The end of "Avalon", in more ways than one

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

The end of "Avalon", in more ways than one

Postby K A H on Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:44 pm

I'd be lying if I said I weren't at least a little chagrined to see that "Avalon" won't be concluded in comic strip form; still, any progress on it is entirely up to its creator in the first place, so said chagrin must be pushed aside in deference to the travails Sir Josh has been facing over the last few years that have prevented him from completing it as he originally intended.

Still, it's nice to see how things would have been wrapped up, and in a way it does feel as though they have, even if the comics were never drawn to depict the events described in the text summary. Certainly I'd like to be one of the first to thank Sir Josh for giving a sense of closure to the story, to the lives of the people in it.

Not to mention for creating "Avalon" in the first place, of course. Many thanks, Sir, and good luck with where the road takes you hereafter.

Uncharacteristically, I have few words to offer beyond the obvious: farewell, Avalon, it's been grand.

K.A.H.
I still hope to finish Sd'A, but may not for vaguely similar reasons to these.
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Starline on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:13 pm

Ceilidh switches teams? Dang.

Starline
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:35 pm

Does anyone care to draw some of these scenes in comic form?

Edit: Remember this striphack? Looks like Noelle was on to something.

As the evening wears down, Ceilidh wanders out for some fresh air, and Phoebe follows. Phoebe confesses how much she has relied on Ceilidh for emotional support lately, and how grateful she's been for such a close friendship. Ceilidh, realizing how awkward Phoebe seems, hugs her, and explains the feeling is mutual. Subsequently, Phoebe kisses Ceilidh, and explains she feels love for her. Suitably flabbergasted, Ceilidh isn't sure what to do about this prospect, but Phoebe implores her to consider a different type of relationship.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tenma on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Wow.

In retrospect, my "rejected" guest strip could almost be considered canon. I've also envisioned Joe and Helène together, but I'll withhold that link as the result was not something I'm particularly proud of.

I'm just glad that Ceilidh wasn't alone in the end.

As for the end of the comic itself, well, we've seen the signs for some time. I have a lot to thank Josh for in regards to Avalon and I'm sorry to see it go just like everyone else, but there comes a time for all things.

It's a hugely compelling story and a very impressive body of work any way you look at it. Thanks for everything, Josh.

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Farewell, Avalon.

Postby nzero on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:30 am

Ditto KAH and Tenma.

Thank you, Josh.
nzero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bo Lindbergh on Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:43 am

Remember the "Phoebe / What makes her tick?" topic? I went back and re-read it to check how silly the speculation seems in hindsight. ;)

Summary: MarkusN came closest. He only missed the implications of Phoebe using the "true compassion and selfless love does not brag" maxim to analyse Ceilidh's actions.
Bo Lindbergh
Keenspot Despot

Postby svenman on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:25 am

*draws a deep sigh* Well, that's that.

I think I sorta know how this feels. I've been involved in projects myself in which I'd invested a lot of time, then later was forced to admit (to myself, at least) that I wasn't going to continue or finish them.

At least we readers are spared from the frustrating feeling of not knowing how the story ends.

For what it's worth, I'd still be interested in seeing the conclusion of the story in drawn form some day. But it can wait.

The best of luck to you, Josh (I hope you're reading this). And thanks for everything.
svenman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The end of "Avalon", in more ways than one

Postby svenman on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:42 am

K A H wrote:I still hope to finish Sd'A, but may not for vaguely similar reasons to these.

May I wish you good luck in finishing your great project to a point of your satisfaction (the originally published version of the cycle, at any rate, already stands) - but if it shouldn't work out, you may at least take comfort in the ironic appropriateness of an unfinished composition paying tribute to an unfinished webcomic. :)
svenman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nick Pavlovski on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:49 am

Josh, great end to a great comic. I'm proud of you!

I echo your sentiments...I too have made some completely ace friends from around the world here: Darth, The U-sisters, Negzee the champ (when you comin' to visit???), Wapiko, Harlenna and that crazy guy living in Idaho who hardly ever talks to me :-)

Do svidanya!
Nick Pavlovski
Keenspot Despot

Postby mzacher on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 am

Just echoing the sentiment: Thanks for everything, Josh.

Years of Story, and Characters, and Community (...and art, and music, and some of the more ...er, interesting... forum discussions I've seen. ;) )

We've got a lot to thank you for. :)
mzacher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Thank you Josh

Postby Sukotto on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:54 am

Josh,

I really enjoyed your comic (been reading since the 2nd or 3rd month). Between the comic and the community around it... you built something to be proud of.

I want to sincerely thank you for all your work. Best of luck to you in the future... I'll continue cheering for you :-)

Sukotto

-----
Carnage Blender: Make new friends, and kill them (Free Online RPG)
Sukotto
Junior Keenspotter

Postby drag on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:59 am

Hello all, long-time reader first-time poster.

Well, as for the end I'm not going to pretend like I'm not disappointed in the ending and in the fact that the ending isn't in comic form. As for the story, I will say the end you made threw we for a loop from how I expected it would end...and guess I had the ending planned out already and your ending hit me out of nowhere. However, I also feel there are so many plot strings that are going unresolved(and maybe the reason the ending doesn't hit me right is because those plot strings that lead up to it are left undone). Avalon is a great comic strip(quite honestly better than some I read in the newspaper). I can say this isn't the ending it deserved.

However, in the same sense I know how hard it is to do something you really want and just not being able to. Hopefully, if you ever do get out of your rut you'll come back and give it a proper ending. But I feel you shouldn't force yourself with these things. So, good luck with whatever you decide.
drag
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:13 am

Aye. While it's not a comic-form ending, it at least gives the story closure. Thanks, Josh. Keep in touch, though; I'm sure the Lynchers'll remain interested in whatever you might be doing in future.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:36 am

It's good to know what happens. I too would have liked to have seen it drawn out, and I'll confess to some disappointment, but I also understand how life can take you in directions that necessitate leaving some things unfinished.

Still. It was a great run. You da man, Josh.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fool on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:36 am

Yup, yup.
It's been a wild jouney with some rough segments, but I'm still glad to have to have taken it.
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Dusty on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:20 pm

Well, I followed Avalon from about the time it got Keenspotted, and gosh, I've loved it. When I started reading, I was partway through my bachelor's degree, and lonely and homesick. Avalon reminded me of high school life and rang so true that it became one of my favourite comics.

Now I've finished my B.A., and have a M.A. and a M.Ed., and teach high school, and it looks a little different (no-one here wears green uniforms, sadly). Perhaps it's best that Avalon ends, but I'll certainly miss it. I wish I could have seen it drawn out, but I know what it means to move on to new and different things in life.

Josh, I wish you the very best, and thank you for your wonderful creation. I hope one day you put pencil to paper for the purpose of cartooning again, and that we get to see it and take another journey as great as this one.

All the best, sir.
Dusty
Keenspot Despot

Postby Samuel on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:49 pm

It's good to have closure to a great webcomic, especially one we've all been following for quite a while. Although it may not have happened the way we all wanted it visually, it was given an ending that has left most of us happy with it all.

Hopefully you draw out the ending to Avalon if the future allows it. We can wait.

...But if not, thanks for one of the best out there.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
Samuel
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Autumn on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:45 pm

A very long time reader...a very short time poster...

Thank you for years of providing something worth getting out of bed for Josh. Like many (dare I say most) I am saddened that the comic could not be finished as once envisaged. However, like everyone else I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you for the wonderful trip, truly the end of an era.

-A

(I am also going to very much miss watching this community. Though silent I've been enjoying it's chaotic fun for years and I hope so see some more of the wonderful artists here again [N0, Tae and Mza, amongst others])
Autumn
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:26 pm

What Drag mentions is something I was thinking myself... there are probably loads of plot threads left dangling after this "conclusion." If anyone needs some clarifications, say so, and I'll fib my way out as best I can. :-)

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:18 pm

Yeah, what about Noelle? There was so much speculation about why she needed the 5 bucks!

Way cool job Josh. I too am sad to see that the end won't be drawn, but real life is a bitch most of the time. Hang in there!

-Doc
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:27 pm

Where's Iain?

JOSH YOU FOOL.

... it's ok, mate. I thought I'd say that just one more time :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:02 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Yeah, what about Noelle? There was so much speculation about why she needed the 5 bucks!

The 5 bucks was a total red herring... I imagine she just really wanted to buy something from the corner store.

Noelle is still stuck at home, and is growing more and more critical of Phoebe, as younger siblings are wont to be. She tries to stay out of the house as often as possible, since Phil and Sarah have been acting weird (like, amicable toward each other).

I can only presume Iain is still in Australia, running from the law for some sort of burglary spree. Time will tell whether he makes it out of the country or not. ;-)

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby jeffk on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:16 pm

It's late at night, and I realize I haven't had my daily webcomic fix yet because I spent most of the day fighting computer access problems and/or computer connection problems. As it is written, "The one language all programmers know is profanity"...and I didn't even write any code today! (OK, a bit of SQL, but that's not my normal code, and besides, that was for training purposes.)

So off to my home computer I go, into the browser, and over to "Open in tabs" under the Comics bookmark. I plow through some of the usual suspects, then on to the Avalon forum. Hmm, quite a bit of activity tonight, wonder what's up...

:o

Josh said he'd answer (or bluff through) loose ends. He's already taken care of Noelle and Iain, let's see what's left...
  • What did Alison do at the party? Same as the last party--wishing she could have fun, but not if it means stooping to everyone else's level? Or are things different now?
  • What happens to Alan? Off to college? Still as clueless as ever?
  • Any details on Nancy's boyfriend? I'm assuming he's no one we've seen before, right?
  • Any news on Gar?
  • Is Cecil's World Domination Master Plan still on track?
  • Err, wow, I can't think of any other loose ends off the top of my head.

I'd say something profound, but it's late, and I've got an early morning at work tomorrow, <looks over right shoulder> a Cub Scout rally next week that won't plan itself, <looks over left shoulder> a Girl Scout parents' meeting tomorrow night that won't plan itself either, and <looks over right shoulder again> a grad school class tomorrow afternoon <wonder if the prof posted her notes yet>. I think I'll wait a day or two before I write much about the conclusion.

But for now, only one thing to say...thanks, Josh.
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:25 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:I can only presume Iain is still in Australia, running from the law for some sort of burglary spree. Time will tell whether he makes it out of the country or not. ;-)

He got arrested for carrying a jar of Vegemite on board a United Airlines plane to the USA. The cabin crew thought it was plastique.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jeffk on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:06 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:He got arrested for carrying a jar of Vegemite on board a United Airlines plane to the USA. The cabin crew thought it was plastique.

Plastique's as good a guess as any :-)
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Avalon