"Hear" we go again.... Sd'A redux - Book I

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby K A H on Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:13 am

Spaceman42 wrote:Alright, the new songs are being uploaded to http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/newstuff pending my next site update. Also there are the two songs I mentioned earlier. I'd post more, but I have a chem prelab to complete.

Ah, hold on, the MP3s of the Ouverture, Caprice, Rhapsodie, Lamentation, and Intermezzo aren't new, unless the directory was wiped in the server calamity that brought down your page in the first place. You'll probably save yourself a bit of time by not uploading them, as they should already be there. What would be new would be the development for the Rhapsodie and, of course, the revised Fantaisie.

Incidentally, I'd understand/not be surprised if you demurred on hosting the new pieces when they materialise, as I suspect the total of the old and the new will be close to two hours of music, which is over a hundred megabytes!! I'd balk at hosting that amount of data, I know that.

Nevertheless, again, thank you very much for hosting what I've written so far (as well as the sheet music and the cover art), I do appreciate it.

K.A.H.
Chemistry pre-labs. Ooh, the memories.... :-? Sometimes my organic pre-labs took longer than the labs themselves....
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:35 pm

Gargh. I just uploaded all of the mp3s linked in your original post... *facepalm* I was wondering why the titles were so familiar...

Anyway - there's always the alternative of zipping all the old pieces and putting up a BitTorrent file instead. That would probably work fairly well for these.

Incidentally - it was an organic chem. prelab. Blergh. Should've started work on it earlier...
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:21 pm

Hum. Any further progress, guv'?
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:04 pm

Spaceman42 wrote:Hum. Any further progress, guv'?

Limited at best. May and June, unfortunately, were taken up by a teaching assignment I need to take on to earn some extra money, while I'll be spending most of July away from a piano. I can say that I know what I want to do with all of the pieces that have not yet been completed except for the Nocturne (almost have this one though), Nuit d'été (struggling with this one), and Fantaisie Canadienne (my ideas keep changing for this one). For the rest, it's just a matter of sitting down and writing them. The Scène d'hiver, Chansons sans Paroles, and Sarabande are probably closest to completion (I've improvised whole pieces based on their themes; should have recorded them for some ideas). The rest are only ideas right now. Oh, and in addition to re-writing the beginning and end of the Ballade, I'm planning to completely overhaul the centre section of the Écossaise so that it relates a bit more closely to the use of the theme elsewhere as well as giving it more time to develop properly. And, of course, the Fughetta needs to be transposed down a semitone. So only ten of the twenty-four pieces are actually in their final state - bit depressing, that! :-?

It does surprise me a bit that people are still interested given the lack of updates to "Avalon" itself for the past however many months, but I'm certainly not complaining! :)

K.A.H.
Does make me feel guilty for having let it sit for so long, though. :-?
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:20 pm

Well, I asked mostly because I was feeling guilt over not having updated the Sd'A site in... however long it's been since I last updated it. Yeah.
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:22 pm

K A H wrote:It does surprise me a bit that people are still interested given the lack of updates to "Avalon" itself for the past however many months, but I'm certainly not complaining! :)

It did make an interesting comversation piece when I played it on my computer at work. People were trying to play "guess the composer" and similar games.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby K A H on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:39 pm

I apologise for this egregious act of thread necromancy, but just in case this proves to be an issue I thought I'd better point out that the MP3 of the Fantaisie (Deirdre's piece from Sd'A) is no longer in Minh's FTP archive; I recently wrote another bit of fanmusic for a webcomic and didn't want to take up too much space. (The curious among you can find the fanmusic in question here.)

I suspect it's not really an issue anymore given that "Avalon" is long gone and the forum is largely deserted, so anyone who was ever going to download this music has already done so. (For what it's worth, I do still work on the unfinished pieces from time to time, but since "Avalon" has shut up shop it's not exactly been a high priority.)

K.A.H.
I don't know that this qualifies as a shameless plug since this forum is mostly empty by now anyway. Pity.
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 pm

If you want, I can host Sd'A on my home server. It's got no shortage of disk space, but it's on a fairly slow connection.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spaceman42 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:35 am

I'm still hosting it, y'know. I still get the occasional hit, actually.
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 pm

Spaceman42 wrote:I'm still hosting it, y'know. I still get the occasional hit, actually.

As it's been a while since I've said "thank you" for hosting the MP3s and the associated cover art, I'll say it now: thank you. :) The MP3 I removed, though, was not hosted on your website: the updated version of the Fantaisie (for comparative purposes, the original version was around 11'40", while the new version is just over seventeen minutes). Its size meant that even if there were the space in Minh's archive for both files, I could not in good conscience leave both of them there since, after all, it's supposed to be his space, he's just letting me borrow it.

Although, Marcos, if you have 15 MB of space to spare, I could temporarily stick the file back in the archive (although I don't expect the "Dominic Deegan" piece(s?) to reach a wide audience, I know a few people who want to hear it who haven't had a chance to download it yet, so it would need to be a brief switch) so that you could procure it for hosting purposes. If you can do that I would be very grateful indeed. (Alternatively, if you're a DD fan, perhaps you could host that MP3 instead? I would, again, be very grateful if you were able and willing to do so.)

K.A.H.
My conscience is not often active, but there are times it won't leave me alone; trying to borrow nearly 30 MB of someone else's rather limited FTP space is enough to set it off. :P
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:56 am

Hrm. Well then. I can still host it, I'd just have to take the time to update the webpage. Heh.

[Erm, would it be the version in http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/newstuff/ by any chance? I forgot to link to that. I'm also hosting the score and ought to add that URL...]
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Marcos on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:08 pm

K A H wrote:
Spaceman42 wrote:I'm still hosting it, y'know. I still get the occasional hit, actually.

As it's been a while since I've said "thank you" for hosting the MP3s and the associated cover art, I'll say it now: thank you. :) The MP3 I removed, though, was not hosted on your website: the updated version of the Fantaisie (for comparative purposes, the original version was around 11'40", while the new version is just over seventeen minutes). Its size meant that even if there were the space in Minh's archive for both files, I could not in good conscience leave both of them there since, after all, it's supposed to be his space, he's just letting me borrow it.

Although, Marcos, if you have 15 MB of space to spare, I could temporarily stick the file back in the archive (although I don't expect the "Dominic Deegan" piece(s?) to reach a wide audience, I know a few people who want to hear it who haven't had a chance to download it yet, so it would need to be a brief switch) so that you could procure it for hosting purposes. If you can do that I would be very grateful indeed. (Alternatively, if you're a DD fan, perhaps you could host that MP3 instead? I would, again, be very grateful if you were able and willing to do so.)

K.A.H.
My conscience is not often active, but there are times it won't leave me alone; trying to borrow nearly 30 MB of someone else's rather limited FTP space is enough to set it off. :P

250 MB free on the server right now, and if I need more, I've got about 100 MB of old logfiles I can delete. There are certain advantages to running one's own server -- space is not a problem.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Previous

Return to Avalon