Most Fascinating/Endearing Character?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Most Fascinating/Endearing Character?

Postby Eliot Fan on Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:38 pm

Basically, who's the character you find most interesting, both male and female, and why*? Oh, and this is your favourite character for reasons -other- than Perverse Sexual Lust, because then I'd just be starting another "Deirdre's a fox" thread.

Female: Alison
Behind the self-righteous, arrogant bitch routine she displayed for most of High School I think she actually cares about other people, at least in her academic, disinterested way. Beyond that she still hasn't shown the latent poetential for living life (as opposed to observing) that Iain observed in her. Also, she's -good- at giving advice, even if she ain't so hot at actually experiencing stuff for herself.

Male: Ryan
Don't we all want to be Ryan? Hell, if I were as patient and understanding as this guy I'd probably sleep easier. Okay, if I had a tall, gorgeous rehead of a girlfriend next to me I'd sleep -damn- soundly. When all was said and done.
-Wilhelm

*Please fill this in; without this explained we might as well look at everyone's Avalon code
If Homer has taught us anything, it is that war is hell and romance is a whore.
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In this brief transit where the dreams cross/The dreamcrossed twilight between birth and dying

Postby Mravac Kid on Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:06 pm

More done than said, eh? ;)

My favorite character is Cecil, as he's the cool cat there :p
(though, I like his namesake from Bobbins even more)

But if I have to pick humans... I dunno.
Guess it'd be Ryan for the boys, same reasons as you gave... As for the girls... I dunno. Helene got major points for the whole Alain deal and its resolution. The other girls are all too dangerous... :)
I guess it'd be Deirdre, for her recognition that Ryan was a nice guy. Something all the others missed. (Too bad such things don't happen IRL :-/ )
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Re: Most Fascinating/Endearing Character?

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:02 pm

Eliot Fan wrote:Basically, who's the character you find most interesting, both male and female, and why*? Oh, and this is your favourite character for reasons -other- than Perverse Sexual Lust, because then I'd just be starting another "Deirdre's a fox" thread.

Is that bad? :)

Eliot Fan wrote:Female: Alison
Behind the self-righteous, arrogant bitch routine she displayed for most of High School I think she actually cares about other people, at least in her academic, disinterested way. Beyond that she still hasn't shown the latent poetential for living life (as opposed to observing) that Iain observed in her. Also, she's -good- at giving advice, even if she ain't so hot at actually experiencing stuff for herself.

She's good at delivering advice and sounding credible, but I don't know if the advice itself is always good. I think she overreached herself with that odyssey to Toronto. But she did it partly to help her friend and mentor Hildegarde, so that's OK.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:29 pm

Me, I'm dull. I go with the main characters, simply because they have most depth / mystery about them.

Phoebe for the girls (Yes, I'm like Josh concerning that. It used to be Ceilidh, but now it's Phoebe.) I'll not go into details here, you can find most of them in my "Analyzing Phoebe" thread.

Joe for the boys. Because I can relate, and because I wonder how he'll work out the issues he has.

Alan really has too little profile to be interesting, and Ryan's too stable. Little fun in a stable person (for the onlooker, that is).

Most interesting supporting character: Roman. Again, I can relate. And I wonder if he'll be worked into the major plot somehow. You know he does have a rother prominent spot there on the cast page.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:14 am

I think Joe is my favourite of the male characters too. He's a good boy and a fine son.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Eliot Fan on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:38 am

I'd like to add that after reading Tae's fanseries, Nancy is definately up there. "A Day In the Life"=t3h r0xx0rz :D .

Grassy Noel wrote:
Eliot Fan wrote:Basically, who's the character you find most interesting, both male and female, and why*? Oh, and this is your favourite character for reasons -other- than Perverse Sexual Lust, because then I'd just be starting another "Deirdre's a fox" thread.

Is that bad?

No.
In fact, maybe I should run off and start a 'Deirdre is a fox' thread right now...
Or maybe after supper.

-Wilhelm
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In this brief transit where the dreams cross/The dreamcrossed twilight between birth and dying

Postby MarkusN on Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:26 am

Eliot Fan wrote:In fact, maybe I should run off and start a 'Deirdre is a fox' thread right now...
Or maybe after supper.

Do us a favour, please. When you do so forget that you just learned
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby mykroft on Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:57 am

For me it's Phoebe. She's such a complex, intriguing character. And cute too.

For the guys, I'd have to say Phil Bradley. The rest of them just seem like filling.
mykroft
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fool on Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:11 pm

Or Philling?
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Fool on Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:28 pm

I like Hildegarde Page.

Hee hee hee...
Joe Mama...

As for the male characters, my favourite is Jimmy Page.
Mainly 'cause the first time I saw him I thought he was supposed to be me.

Hee hee hee...
Pipes and chains and swingin' hands
Who Joe Daddy?
Yes I am.
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:46 pm

Female: Alison - she reminds me so much of one of my ex-girlfriends which I'm still friends with, and is probably the only character who would actually exist in the real world.

Male: Joe - his fooling around and general eerie resemblence to me (cue twilight zone music) really make him like me, and he just seems like the character who'll actually earn the great ending he'll be blessed with.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:18 pm

It depends on whether you mean like-as-a-personality, or like-as-a-character.

Male: I like Ryan more, but Joe is more interesting to read about.

Female: I like Ceilidh more, but Phoebe is most interesting to read about.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby BigMal27 on Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:09 pm

I hate these decisions. For me it's not who fascinates me NOW, but who will SOON. And right now, everyone's got something to disclose...

The guys: Don't know much about Alan -- what's he up to now? Is he going to catch Ceilidh on the rebound? And Joe -- is he going to try with Helene after what she said?

The gals: What's Phoebe's motives (the smirk)? What made Helene say what she said to Joe? And is Ceilidh going to move on or obsess over what she wanted with Joe?

So far, Ceilidh and Alison have interested me the most, because I find common elements in my life compared with theirs, and want to see what becomes of them. (Is that too co-dependent of an attitude toward fictional characters? If it is, then I know I'm screwed. Along with all the Lynchers.)

--BigMal27
BigMal27
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gigafreak on Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:09 pm

Heh. I'd say Alan, because I know somebody just like him: mild pyromania, mad-scientist streak, an infatuation with duct tape, general incompetence at times, and a best friend named Joe.
Now where can I find psycho-clingy girl to hook him up with...?

And for a female.... Ceilidh. She has a fuse at least as short as my own.
And she loses at Risk. And she has a pool table (which she is ineffective at). Except I'm not an insecure girly-girl.
Last edited by Gigafreak on Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Eliot Fan on Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Gigafreak wrote:an infatuation with suct tape

What is this 'suct tape' and where can I find some?
It sounds delightfully filthy :P .
-Wilhelm
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenma on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:36 pm

Being a slacker type who never finished college myself, I identify with Dierdre a lot, and I also really dig her personality. Dierdre's my favorite overall character, though if it were a PSL contest she'd lose to Ceilidh. Ceilidh's had more screen time, so we've seen more of her thought processes and she's had more opportunity to get caught being cute.

I also can't help but be impressed by Helène, not only because of her tenacity in never giving up on Alan all these years, but also her overall optimism and being true to herself. Joe was right about her... So I guess Helène and Ceilidh are tied for second.

As far as males go, I like Iain. My anti-authority nature just loves to see someone go in and shake things up, and that's exactly what Iain did, hitting Alison the hardest of all (and man, she needed it.)

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gigafreak on Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:45 am

Eliot Fan wrote:
Gigafreak wrote:an infatuation with suct tape

What is this 'suct tape' and where can I find some?
It sounds delightfully filthy :P .
-Wilhelm

Sammit all. :P (Yes. Sammit.)
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby limestonecity on Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:48 pm

joe. i like to think he's like me, but maybe i just want to be the hero. like most people, probably. if he doesn't score with ceilidh before the end of avalon i will never read another webcomic again. well for a few days at least. you the man joe.
limestonecity
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Eliot Fan on Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:43 pm

Tenma wrote:Being a slacker type who never finished college myself, I identify with Dierdre a lot, and I also really dig her personality. Dierdre's my favorite overall character, though if it were a PSL contest she'd lose to Ceilidh. Ceilidh's had more screen time, so we've seen more of her thought processes and she's had more opportunity to get caught being cute.

I definately love the slacker aspects of Deirdre's personality; this probably comes from being surrounded by -way- too many stressed-out, overachieving girls in my High School career; Deirdre's relaxed, funny and she seems to have things in perspective. In all truth she's also my favorite overall; discounting PSL she still probably beats out Alison, but I find Alison a bit more of an enigma.
-Wilhelm
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Animal on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:20 pm

Hildegarde. And not just because I harbor PSL for her. She's ambitious, she's tough, she's confident. I can relate.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:40 pm

Animal wrote:Hildegarde. And not just because I harbor PSL for her. She's ambitious, she's tough, she's confident. I can relate.

And she's accustomed to carrying guns around.
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Avalon