[28 Jan 04] Well, it was only a matter of time....

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby JHU Battousai on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Spaceman42 wrote:Uh, it's 'Ceili', not 'Ceilidh'. At least for their song.


Not according to RJ Shep's fanart.
The Lynch Vault - Avalon Stats, Code, and Color
Avalon Code 1.01a(r5): R+++ S+ F+ IRC+ FA-- GA- FF SN+ SA+ CMV+++ LY+ f{C++ D 1:63} D{T-- I-} rR PSL P{CJ+ L!- I*-- RD++) !W
User avatar
JHU Battousai
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2000 12:00 am
Location: Vermont

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:10 pm

Well, that'd be a riff off the song title and not a 'quotation', since Black 47's own site shows it as 'Funky Ceili'...

Besides which, RJ Shep's description of the fanart lists it as 'Funky Ceili'.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:19 pm

Whatever. I know they were making reference to a type of song, and not a girl in the song, I just didn;t know how to spell it correctly.
Image
User avatar
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: In Cyberspace hacking you. Not your computer, YOU

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:00 pm

Well, now you know. And knowing is half the battle.
G.I. JOE!!!
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:05 pm

Spaceman42 wrote:No, GN, you can't have any magic potion.


Oh, and I suppose Mister Spaceman42 can have some magic potion then?
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby K A H on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:33 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:Oh, and I suppose Mister Spaceman42 can have some magic potion then?


Yes, Neil, because, as I've told you a thousand times, he didn't fall into a cauldron of magic potion when he was a little boy! :)

(Anyone ever wonder why, in Asterix and Son, it took a few days rather than a lifetime for the effects of the potion to wear off on the titular son even though he also fell into, and drank the contents of, a cauldron of the stuff? I know I did. Anyway, off topic contribution over.)

Hm. I see from this thread that Sir Josh's creations are getting restless and may very well overthrow him in reality as well. Well, in that case, vive la revolution! :D

K.A.H.
So if S42 is either Asterix or Getafix and Neil is Obelix.... by Toutatis, I hope that doesn't make me Cacofonix.
User avatar
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:33 pm

Now now, GN, you know you fell into the Vegemite as a baby...

(KAH - it wasn't a FULL cauldron. There was just enough to keep him hopped up for a few days, though.)
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:12 am

Sic transit gloria mundi, and alea jacta est, too :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby MarkusN on Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:54 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Sic transit gloria mundi, and alea jacta est, too :)
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

NON ALEA SED PUER IACTA EST.

(Into the cauldron, that is.)
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
User avatar
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:36 am
Location: Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:35 am

MarkusN wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:Sic transit gloria mundi, and alea jacta est, too :)
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Nice picture of Alison by Tae, thanks for that link :)

MarkusN wrote:NON ALEA SED PUER IACTA EST.

(Into the cauldron, that is.)


Aw, can't quite work that one out. Translation?
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby MarkusN on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:44 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
MarkusN wrote:NON ALEA SED PUER IACTA EST.
(Into the cauldron, that is.)
Aw, can't quite work that one out. Translation?

Not the die, the boy has been thrown.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
User avatar
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:36 am
Location: Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:59 am

Ack. Of course.

Image

"Who comes last, comes first." I think. The motto of Trojan Condoms.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby MarkusN on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:11 am

GrassyNoel wrote:"Who comes last, comes first." I think. The motto of Trojan Condoms.

You know, I was expecting an altogether different link there.

Weenie point to whoever posts it first.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
User avatar
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:36 am
Location: Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:51 am

The only latin I know is Quando Omni Flunkus Morotati, which is the motto for Possom Lodge
Image
User avatar
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: In Cyberspace hacking you. Not your computer, YOU

Postby K A H on Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:38 pm

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Well, someone had to say it. ;)

(I used to know enough Latin to translate a fourth of the Aeneid. Served me well on standardised tests - I used to look at an unfamiliar word on something like the verbal SATs and compare it to a Latin word I knew. Further proof that English is an uneasy hybrid of Romance and Germanic, I suppose. But that discussion has graced this board before.)

Ah, and the "Sic transit" pic of Alison by the ever talented M'Lud Jensen. (Wonder how he is these days, it's been ages since he's posted here. I was more than a little sorry to see that his wonderful cover art for Sd'A - Joe playing a grand piano with Ceilidh and Phoebe sitting beside him on the bench and Helene on a sofa to one side - is no longer online. That was a real work of art, far more than Sd'A deserved! If anyone has a copy on their hard drive somewhere, please either post here or PM me.)

K.A.H.
Still, I was heartened to discover that Master Zacher's own designs for the cover are, unlike some of his work, still online. :)
Last edited by K A H on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Postby Gigafreak on Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:56 pm

K A H wrote:Quidquid latine dicte sit, altum viditur.

Well, someone had to say it. ;)

(I used to know enough Latin to translate a fourth of the Aeneid. Served me well on standardised tests - I used to look at an unfamiliar word on something like the verbal SATs and compare it to a Latin word I knew. Further proof that English is an uneasy hybrid of Romance and Germanic, I suppose. But that discussion has graced this board before.)

Ah, and the "Sic transit" pic of Alison by the ever talented M'Lud Jensen. (Wonder how he is these days, it's been ages since he's posted here. I was more than a little sorry to see that his wonderful cover art for Sd'A - Joe playing a grand piano with Ceilidh and Phoebe sitting beside him on the bench and Helene on a sofa to one side - is no longer online. That was a real work of art, far more than Sd'A deserved! If anyone has a copy on their hard drive somewhere, please either post here or PM me.)

K.A.H.
Still, I was heartened to discover that Master Zacher's own designs for the cover are, unlike some of his work, still online. :)


Umm, the cover isn't the greatest of your worries.
Some of the music itself is gone, too! Where's Anh_Minh?
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
User avatar
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Under a mop of hat hair

Postby TinyDoctorTim on Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:05 pm

Poor Josh, done in by his own creation! Dr. Frankenstein's legacy lives on, it seems.
User avatar
TinyDoctorTim
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Milwaukee, USA

Postby Spaceman42 on Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:09 pm

Ooh, that reminds me - I ought to work on the cover again. Once I get finished with midterms and the like. Yeah.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby K A H on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:41 pm

Gigafreak wrote:Umm, the cover isn't the greatest of your worries.
Some of the music itself is gone, too! Where's Anh_Minh?

Is it!? Eek!!

*scurries over to Minh's FTP directory*

Ah.... ah, I see now. Those aren't the audio files in Minh's directory. The best source for the audio is Spaceman42's mirror site (I don't think Matias' archive has the second book available). The files in Minh's directory are the sheet music for the Rhapsodie (expanded version) and the second book.

Whew. You had me worried there for a moment, GF! As is, three of those files will soon be outdated. When I have spare time. (I'm pleased to say the wedding processional on two video game tunes, the composition of which pushed Sd'A down my list of priorities, was well received by the nuptial couple who walked down the aisle to it. :))

K.A.H.
I just wish my piano were in tune to make recording the pieces less painful!
User avatar
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Postby MarkusN on Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:55 pm

DICTUM, K.A,H., DICTUM.

(Not that I knew, but when I googled for your quote I was corrected by the machine.)

I second your (e-)motion on Tae's art. It seems that his webspace is gone. (That'l teach me to take anybody's .edu hosting for granted.)
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
User avatar
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:36 am
Location: Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Postby Spaceman42 on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 am

*has the sheet music, but not on his webspace*

Oh, yeah. I have the covers, <strike>but I'm not sure if they're still on /this/ machine - I might've moved them onto the computer downstairs, and I doubt the image - even compressed - will fit onto a floppy. Besides which, the A: drive isn't working anyway, so... </strike> http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Art - I found I also have the score uploaded, over at http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Score .

I'm very tempted to make a pun about that last involving hockey. But I won't.

Anyway:
Image

(Can we see the original of this? Please?)

[size=75]*wanders off singing [url=http://www.stefieshock.com/musique/03-decor.mp3]'Un Homme
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
User avatar
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Postby Gigafreak on Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:39 pm

K A H wrote:(I'm pleased to say the wedding processional on two video game tunes, the composition of which pushed Sd'A down my list of priorities, was well received by the nuptial couple who walked down the aisle to it. :))

K.A.H.
I just wish my piano were in tune to make recording the pieces less painful!


So, care to share the sheet music for that?
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
User avatar
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Under a mop of hat hair

Postby K A H on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:21 pm

MarkusN wrote:DICTUM, K.A,H., DICTUM.

(Not that I knew, but when I googled for your quote I was corrected by the machine.)

Ach! You're right, Markus. Corrected. Would saying mea culpa be an inappropriate expression of penitence? :P

Spaceman42 wrote:Oh, yeah. I have the covers, <strike>but I'm not sure if they're still on /this/ machine - I might've moved them onto the computer downstairs, and I doubt the image - even compressed - will fit onto a floppy. Besides which, the A: drive isn't working anyway, so... </strike> http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Art - I found I also have the score uploaded, over at http://nfact.mspencer.net/AHMusix/Score .

Weyhey!! Spaceman42 saves the day again! :) M'luds Jensen and Zacher's artwork, side by side. Enough artistic talent there to make me consider giving up all artistic pursuits for the rest of me life.... :D I've said it before and I'll say it again, those designs are better than Sd'A deserves, and I'm sure I'd surrender the ability to write, play, appreciate, even listen to music to draw half as well as that. :)

Gigafreak wrote:
K A H wrote:(I'm pleased to say the wedding processional on two video game tunes, the composition of which pushed Sd'A down my list of priorities, was well received by the nuptial couple who walked down the aisle to it. :))


So, care to share the sheet music for that?

Well, much as I'd like to (it was by far the most well-received of the pieces I played, due largely to the fact that the groom and many of his guests are big pre-Playstation Final Fantasy buffs), that would require access to a scanner, and the one I usually use is at my parents' flat in Singapore. I'm unlikely to be back in Singapore until at least the summer, so it'll be a while unless Darth Paradox or Volkai or another Ann Arbor local can tell me where I might find a scanner for public use.

A recording, though, should be forthcoming in the near future. (Might even re-arrange it for organ first.)

K.A.H.
Still no word from Sir Josh.... has Ceilidh really kilt him? :P
User avatar
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Postby Balfegor on Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:53 am

Oh. Hm. I guess the SdA pics *aren't* online anywhere anymore. Let me go and fetch them from my archives . . .

-Tae

[edit]Here. The big version: http://www.columbia.edu/~alj2011/cd2big.JPG. Meanwhile, that does remind me that I haven't yet learnt the Japonaise. I ought to go off and try that again.

And a-whoops. They are online after all. Thank you.
User avatar
Balfegor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:00 am
Location: New York

Postby Gigafreak on Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:30 am

K A H wrote:A recording, though, should be forthcoming in the near future. (Might even re-arrange it for organ first.)


Excellent.

K A H wrote:Still no word from Sir Josh.... has Ceilidh really kilt him? :P

I saw him on the forum on Thursday, I think. The man just refuses to die. :D
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
User avatar
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Under a mop of hat hair

 
PreviousNext

Return to Avalon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron