[03-12-15 filler] Manga Alison

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby Animal on Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:18 pm

Walky wrote:Alison as anime is so very wrong. I renounce my love for her as she has betrayed me!

Uh huh...
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:11 pm

*shakes his fist at Dude Josh*

Why?!? Why must you torment me so?
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:09 pm

mzacher wrote:<snip>
..and the quote just seemed appropiate, somehow... :)

Wow! You get the hair to look how I always want and never manage.
Last edited by MarkusN on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:01 am

Walky wrote:Alison as anime is so very wrong. I renounce my love for her as she has betrayed me!

We're going to have to have a talk about this whole "hating on anime" thing you've got going here, DW. It's not healthy.

GrassyNoel wrote:Would be great to see her in flip-flops -- Australians wear flip-flops :-D Unfortunately it wouldn't be very smart of her to wear them at work.

The dress code at Hildegarde's is pretty relaxed, if Willis is to be believed. :-)

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:24 am

Galv wrote:I always thought of Alison as being a little... not chunky... but round in an attractive way. Not sure if the anime drawing style can support such a figure.
Actually chunky is probably the correct word to use on Alison in my imagination. Slightly stocky, not very curvy. Just realistic. Face it, not all girls are built like models. (Not even models are, digital art goes a long way to distort our imagination of the ideal woman even further.)

Darth Avatar wrote:
Hai Etlik wrote:I'd say she's the last character in Avalon I would expect to pick up smoking.
I'd have to disagree there. Alison has the kind of personality that just lends itself well to creating way too much self-generated stress - the kind of person that is most likely to start smoking.
Yep, I know the type. Nurses and the like. Smart as all get out, but: "Yeah, I know it is not good for me, but it makes life bearable for me, so what?"

Neil wrote:You speak for yourself :) I like it. It'd look better if she personalised it a bit, though.
I did. Tenma has already quoted the sexy personalisation of DW that comes as a natural.
Last edited by MarkusN on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:48 am

Some girls are round, smooth, and fully packed.

Just like Lucky Strike Cigarettes. (It seems oddly appropriate.)

Not many of them in the modeling world.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darth Avatar on Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:01 am

I can see the ten-year reunion now...

Random Person: "Alison, when did you start smoking?!"

Alison (with TWO cigarettes burning): "A little after graduation."

Random Person: "Why?!"

Alison: "I dunno. But at least I'm still sane, which is more than I can say for everybody else."
Darth Avatar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:40 am

I like Alison's bod how it is. Like my dad's red wine: full-bodied, with somewhat of a kick.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Walky on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:41 am

Tenma wrote:

We're going to have to have a talk about this whole "hating on anime" thing you've got going here, DW. It's not healthy.

But...but... Manga Alison is lithe. Like, skinny-skinny. And appears to have much longer hair. As opposed to the non-super-model, run-of-the-mill, hunching, foul, snarling, uniquely-drawn Alison.

An Alison assembled from manga-parts does not approach the sum total of her usual self.
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:50 am

Walky wrote:But...but... Manga Alison is lithe. Like, skinny-skinny. And appears to have much longer hair. As opposed to the non-super-model, run-of-the-mill, hunching, foul, snarling, uniquely-drawn Alison.

An Alison assembled from manga-parts does not approach the sum total of her usual self.

Seconded.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:43 pm

Walky wrote:But...but... Manga Alison is lithe. Like, skinny-skinny. And appears to have much longer hair. As opposed to the non-super-model, run-of-the-mill, hunching, foul, snarling, uniquely-drawn Alison.

You have a point, but I think that the medium of manga is not as much to blame as Josh's gradual tendency towards drawing more anorexic-looking characters.

Maybe one of us needs to draw a realistically thick manga-style Alison in her underwear eating a cheeseburger... :-)

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:20 pm

Walky wrote:
Tenma wrote:

But...but... Manga Alison is lithe. Like, skinny-skinny. And appears to have much longer hair. As opposed to the non-super-model, run-of-the-mill, hunching, foul, snarling, uniquely-drawn Alison.

You have odd tastes in women.
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:21 pm

But who wants skinny-skinny? I 'd rather have something I can get a decent grip on.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:04 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:But who wants skinny-skinny? I 'd rather have something I can get a decent grip on.

Me too. I was referring to the 'hunching, foul, snarling' bit.
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:23 pm

Animal wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:But who wants skinny-skinny? I 'd rather have something I can get a decent grip on.

Hey, what's wrong with a bit of character? When you go hiking you don't necessarily pick the easiest route either.

Plus, from everything you wrote about Miz Animal she isn't exactly the "always smooth" type either. (Now please don't tell her I called her "hunching, foul, snarling", 'cause I didn't.)
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:13 am

Tenma wrote:
The dress code at Hildegarde's is pretty relaxed, if Willis is to be believed. :-)

Later...
--Tenma

Aaand the scary part is I knew what the link was even before I looked... :-/
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:44 am

That's not scary. That just proves how obsessed you are. All us lynchers are like that. I knew where that was leading without clicking on it too. :P
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:54 am

OK, here's the ultimate Lyncher test: Go through my big ass Phoebe post (that's [big ass] [Phoebe post], not [big ass Phoebe][post] you perverts) and check how many of the links you can tell before looking at them.

Have to take that one myself one of these days. Don't know if I come above 50% now...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:48 am

I like how the jeans turned out. Much of the rest still could do with some tweaking. And I'm usually too subtle when it comes to shading.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:02 am

MarkusN wrote:
Animal wrote:

Hey, what's wrong with a bit of character? When you go hiking you don't necessarily pick the easiest route either.

Plus, from everything you wrote about Miz Animal she isn't exactly the "always smooth" type either. (Now please don't tell her I called her "hunching, foul, snarling", 'cause I didn't.)

Exactly; my first wife was hunching, foul and snarling, so I know the type. Mrs. Animal isn't, which you saved me the trouble of pointing out. :wink:
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fool on Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:12 am

Tenma wrote:Maybe one of us needs to draw a realistically thick manga-style Alison in her underwear eating a cheeseburger...

That's not kosher.
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:41 pm

MarkusN wrote:OK, here's the ultimate Lyncher test: Go through my big ass Phoebe post (that's [big ass] [Phoebe post], not [big ass Phoebe][post] you perverts) and check how many of the links you can tell before looking at them.

Have to take that one myself one of these days. Don't know if I come above 50% now...

That proves I'm not a lyncher, I only know the general situations described, but not the specific comics.

I am shamed :(

In my defense, I downloaded the Avalon soundtrack at the university today, and am listening to it right now. :)
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:56 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:That proves I'm not a lyncher, I only know the general situations described, but not the specific comics.

I am shamed :(

Same here, though truth be told I've never considered myself a lyncher per se (I'm far from a veteran "Avalon" fan, nor am I a particularly rabid fan). It's been a long time since I stormed through the archives from A Long Time Ago to A Not As Long Time Ago, but my memories of most of the comics alluded to in Markus' Post O "Avalon" Scholarship to End All Posts O "Avalon" Scholarship are reasonably fresh still. (Notice that's "Post O 'Avalon' Scholarship", not "Post O' 'Avalon' Scholarship". :P)

Speaking of Markus, I can't believe I'm the first person to compliment his colouring of the Alison pic. I agree, the jeans turned out very well indeed; I like how they're worn and faded on the front, especially the knees. Very nice. Her hair looks to have turned out well as well. (Does she have blue eyes in the canon? I suppose this hearkens again to the question of the characters' eye colours in the canon.... I think only two or three have been answered for certain.)

In my defense, I downloaded the Avalon soundtrack at the university today, and am listening to it right now. :)

One or fewer of you may be surprised to learn that my first reaction to the above was "Avalon has a soundtrack?" (Of course, there's no guarantee it's what I thought it was as part of my second reaction.)

K.A.H.
who needs sleep, apparently.
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:41 pm

I'm even more ashamed now that I forgot to praise the coloring with great praise... :(

but here's the link to the Souvenirs d' Avalon music.
It says it's a mirror site, but I have been unable to find the original...
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:35 pm

MarkusN wrote:Me too. I was referring to the 'hunching, foul, snarling' bit.

Hey, what's wrong with a bit of character? When you go hiking you don't necessarily pick the easiest route either.[/quote]

There's a pun in there, but only to an Australian.

Alison reminds me a little of one of Terry Pratchett's most interesting lead characters, Susan Death. She doesn't suffer fools gladly either.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon