[3:151] Grocery Store Manager?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

[3:151] Grocery Store Manager?

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:40 pm

Link block:
Comic now
Comic archived
Thread(s) of last comic: 58587
Thread(s) of next comic: 59176

I suppose we never knew what Mr. Bradley did for a living, but I can't immagine he gets a lot of money for that (unless he owns the store).

So speculation: Alison is going to give him advice, but it turns out to be good advice (*shock!). She'll tell him to go back to his wife and family, but he will go against said advice for some reason, and end up in deaper trouble whe he gets home.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darth Paradox on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:42 pm

I suspect Phil is going in to break it off with Gar.

I see no other reason for him to be apparently dreading the conversation so much.
Darth Paradox
Christopher Battey, CI
Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic. College == chaos && chaos == fun.
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:48 pm

Linkage
Now
Final

Oookay. So Phil wants to meet Gar, but he is not looking forward to that meeting. Guess he's sort of relieved to find Alison there. He does look honestly disappointed when he meets Alison, though.
Now what could it be that he hates discussing with Hildegarde? That he hasn't talked to Sarah yet? That he did, and it turned out sour?

Darth: I don't think that Hildegarde is more than a confidante to Phil at this time. Though one who basically has ordered him to talk to his wife. Hm. Alison was present then as well, she knows about the whole thing.

Heh! What if Phil starts to confide in Alison, telling her things that he'd rather not tell Gar, then she drops in and hears part of that conversation?

Hm, grocery store manager. I see a potential crossover into Treading Ground. :P

We seem to be back to the Chapter title of "There all along" too.

And Alison is her usual charming self. Be careful, girl, you might develop an ulcer if you keep looking at life like that.
Last edited by MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nick Pavlovski on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:36 am

Darth Paradox wrote:I suspect Phil is going in to break it off with Gar.

I see no other reason for him to be apparently dreading the conversation so much.

I think the opposite, he's going in to see what her reaction is to him telling her he's getting a divorce from Sarah!

Booyah!
Nick Pavlovski
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:50 am

The End, Part 4. Time to dig up old speculations.

[quote="In an old post I"]Another seemingly simple speculation, which may be not that simple at all.
Josh says that "The End" ties into "The Beginning of the End", and that it will wrap up four major storylines.
Now which ones will that be?

My guess (note that I don't predict any outcomes):
1. Gar & James (threatened by Melissa). (Heh, adding the links I realize that this wasn't even a topic in "The Beginning of the End")
2. Sarah and Phil (threatened by Gar)
3. [url=http://www.avalonhigh.com/d/20020118.html]Hel
Last edited by MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:06 am

MarkusN wrote:Heh! What if Phil starts to confide in Alison, telling her things that he'd rather not tell Gar, then she drops in and hears part of that conversation?

I really don't think Alison will permit Phil to use her as an agony aunt or sounding board for whatever rationalisations he may have for his actions. She's realised that a) 'psychology is a crock' and b) she's not the expert on it anyway. I go with DP: he was dreading meeting Gar there, but steeling himself up for it as being necessary.
MarkusN wrote:And Alison is her usual charming self. Be careful, girl, you might develop an ulcer if you keep looking at life like that.

I'd venture to suggest a change of climate and diet, but I'd get smacked by the rest of the forum so I won't.

Neither Phil nor Alison is in top form here, civility-wise.
MarkusN wrote:Hey, with Josh's latest decision that there will be five parts we might see the "Phoebe Makes up Her Mind" bit yet. That, or the "Substance Abuse at the Bradleys'" bit.

I don't think Sarah vs Phil (or Phil and Gar) is one of the five. Not a major theme in my opinion. No, I think Alison still has some demons to slay.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spaceman42 on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:36 am

o.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:08 am

Spaceman42 wrote:...Redhead, freckles, glasses...

Please stop describing me... :P
And yes, redheads are sexy. It's in our manuals: "Rule #1: You must be sexy"

Anywho, I didn't read Phil's expression as one of dread. I didn't know how to read it to be honest, but I will have to agree with you on that one.

Now, why is he dreading this confrontation? I'm going to have to archive dive again. Cna't remember much of what was happening beforehand to think of anything that would make him dread seeing Hildegard.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:34 am

GrassyNoel wrote:he was dreading meeting Gar there, but steeling himself up for it as being necessary.
With that I do agree, just not with the reason Darth found for Phil dreading the conversation.

Neil wrote:I don't think Sarah vs Phil (or Phil and Gar) is one of the five. Not a major theme in my opinion. No, I think Alison still has some demons to slay.
OK, I herby urge everybody who thinks that the triangle Gar-Phil-Sarah will not feature majorly in the super-chapter "The End" to re-read "The Beginning of the End."

I go out on a limb here by posting my interpretation of the situation, but I'm fairly convinced that at least the general direction is true:

The fecal matter has violently come in contact with the air acceleration device at the Bradleys'. I think the substance abuse topic may have played a role, but of that I am not sure. I am sure, however, that Phil might have avoided the situation, or at least improved it, had he not dragged his feet so long. As things stand he is responsible in a major way for the mess in his house (by not confronting his wife), and he dreads to tell this Gar, as she has urged him to talk to Sarah.

Watch Josh prove me wrong.

SM42 wrote:But yeah, I say Alison over S&P. Though "Substance Abuse at the Bradleys" would be interesting, it doesn't really work.
I am absotively sure that substance abuse will become topical. Not sure when, but it will. And what do you mean "it doesn't work"? It does seem to work on you. ;)

SM42 wrote:Oh, and might I offer a potential sixth? R&D. You know there's going to be something going on there.
OK, everybody (and that includes Josh). LEAVE YOUR GRUBBY FINGERS OFF R&D!! Or I might need to come after you with a big club.

Is that understood? Fine.

DocEB wrote:And yes, redheads are sexy. It's in our manuals: "Rule #1: You must be sexy"
Psst. Somebody tell the guy that he picked the book off the wrong pile. Shoulda taken the one for the boys.

DocEB wrote:Now, why is he dreading this confrontation? I'm going to have to archive dive again. Can't remember much of what was happening beforehand to think of anything that would make him dread seeing Hildegard.
As I wrote above: guilt.
And you don't have to ask me why I can read this feeling so well. No, you just don't.
Last edited by MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:05 pm

GAAAAHHH!

I just realized what bad news Phil has to bring Gar! He was in the range of HA's gender swap gun! Just look at his jacket!

He's got spiffy new glasses too. (Not that that has anything to do with the swap.)

Also, the highlight in Alison's eye somehow does not work today. Her glare creeps me out every time I look at that last panel. It has vampire-like quality today.

OK, shutting up now.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:22 pm

MarkusN wrote:
DocEB wrote:And yes, redheads are sexy. It's in our manuals: "Rule #1: You must be sexy"
Psst. Somebody tell the guy that he picked the book off the wrong pile. Shoulda taken the one for the boys.

:P
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:09 pm

MarkusN wrote:OK, everybody (and that includes Josh). LEAVE YOUR GRUBBY FINGERS OFF R&D!! Or I might need to come after you with a big club.

You might need a large staff instead. Without them, the paperwork alone might defeat you. (Thanks to J. B. Handelsman for that one.)

MarkusN wrote:And you don't have to ask me why I can read this feeling so well. No, you just don't.

Been there, eh?

[quote="Spaceman42"]o.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:15 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:It's not Iain that's a demon, it's Alison's idea of him as her Jungian shadow, which is dead wrong in my opinion. Alison and Iain are more alike than Alison will admit.

I thought that was the entire point behind the Jungian shadow. It's something that's an innate part of you that you've never been willing to own up to and confront. Iain represents that. So if Alison hates (nay, pretends not to exist) the part of her that wants to be open and carefree, she's naturally going to extend that onto Iain in the form of a hatred burning like a thousand white-hot suns.

But lucky for him, he's in another hemisphere right now.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wheresmybeer on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:35 pm

That coffee shop is going to need a couch and a timer pretty soon here.
Wheresmybeer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:03 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:So if Alison hates (nay, pretends not to exist) the part of her that wants to be open and carefree, she's naturally going to extend that onto Iain in the form of a hatred burning like a thousand white-hot suns.

Naturally. And we know how that always ends up, don't we. Ask any scoundrel.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Animal on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:03 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:But lucky for him, he's in another hemisphere right now.

A thousand white-hot suns would purty much cook his grits, regardless. :wink:
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:07 pm

Wonder why Neil hasn't jumped on the "right now" bit yet...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:07 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:
Josh Phillips wrote:So if Alison hates (nay, pretends not to exist) the part of her that wants to be open and carefree, she's naturally going to extend that onto Iain in the form of a hatred burning like a thousand white-hot suns.

Scoundrels always go to Australia. It's the natural order of things.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:15 pm

MarkusN wrote:

Either too busy on the IW! forums, or he's at work.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:32 pm

Consider it jumped on. Geez I'm slow. Now I'm going to work. Thanks!
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:32 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:
MarkusN wrote:
Either too busy on the IW! forums, or he's at work.

Well, he did reply to the first part of Josh's post...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:32 pm

Animal wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:

Scoundrels always go to Australia. It's the natural order of things.

Yes, but I was thinking of Han and Leia. Ah pity the foo' who didn't recognise the Star Wars reference in the word 'scoundrel'.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:36 pm

No, that was "scruffy looking nerf herder"

"Who's scruffly looking?"

:P
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:45 pm

She called him a scoundrel too, though.

"Scoundrel? Scoundrel! I like the sound of that."
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:17 pm

Wheresmybeer wrote:That coffee shop is going to need a couch and a timer pretty soon here.
Hey, that's the second duty of any barista, right after pouring drinks:

2. You are expected to serve as a wailing wall to your customers. And no, you can't charge PA's rates for that.

Neil wrote:Consider it jumped on. Geez I'm slow. Now I'm going to work. Thanks!
Phew! Now I can sleep well again at night; the old rules of nature (Murphy's law and the like) still apply.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Avalon