[FANART] Joe (and other assorted transgendered Avalonians)

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby MarkusN on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:39 am

Cute. It would seem Alan had part of Hel
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:36 pm

Ianna Murray.

I'm still not satisfied with those legs, but other than that I like the way this turned out.

I opted to go with the female version of Ian/Iain, instead of Ann. Sorry, K A H. :-)

Later...
--Tenma
Last edited by Tenma on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:53 pm

Tenma wrote:Ianna Murray.
<snip>
I'm still not satisfied with those legs, but other than that I like the way this turned out.
wtf?
Yeah, hit the nail right on the head, characterwise.

Concerning those legs: I think the proportion between upper and lower leg is not right (knee to low, in other words). I also like to think that a woman of Ianna's proportions would feature more rounded calves.

I would have given her heavier eyebrows, and a wilder hairstyle, but that's just me.

The facial expression is very Iain, though.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:20 am

MarkusN wrote:I would have given her heavier eyebrows, and a wilder hairstyle, but that's just me.

Hairstyle, yes. Eyebrows, no. Think about it: If Iainna existed, she'd wax her eyebrows because they would be really thick otherwise.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby mzacher on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:33 am

...what, no surfboard? ;)

Some spiffy work there. :D
mzacher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:36 am

mzacher wrote:...what, no surfboard? ;)
Well, at least you got the surf.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby BanditAngel on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:46 am

Oooh, that Ianna piece is very nice. I'm starting to see why you guys keep calling this freaky, though :)
BanditAngel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenma on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:01 am

I made a few slight edits to Ianna, so she should look a little better than she did at first.

I think I'm done messing with her now, though. :-)

Later..
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:06 am

Tenma wrote:I made a few slight edits to Ianna, so she should look a little better than she did at first.
Proportions of her legs definitely look better now. So you went the other route, slimming down her tighs. Works just as well, of course.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:22 am

Ooh, very nice Tenma (and no offence that you opted for a name other than Ann, I wasn't terribly happy with it myself (Ian or Iain, last I checked, is actually the Scottish equivalent of John (it was a trivia question for my HS quiz team once), so the female version would probably be the Scottish version of, er, Joan, Joanne, or possibly Jane? I don't know, I haven't looked up the origins of those names), and the fact that there is, in fact, an Ann[e] Murray made it doubly eerie). I agree that the facial expression (and message on her shirt) are dead on.

And Master Zacher, as I haven't said it yet, nice pic of Helen as well - methinks you're too critical of yourself (and this is coming from someone who has written a ten-volume guide to self-criticism)! Of course, the pose is perhaps a bit more apt for the ex-girlfriend of her male counterpart, but that takes nothing away from the pic itself.

Observation: with Tenma's pic of Ianna, I think we now have pics of the female versions of all of the male characters. This is in accordance with what I'm assuming is the first rule in the Fan Artist's Handbook: Thou shalt not depict characters of the male gender in thine drawings, not even transgendered drawings, unless thou includ'st female characters or homoerotic subtext that is as subtle as an atomic bomb. ;) (A bit like the rule in the Composer's Handbook which states Thou shalt never never never write a piece, especially in more than one movement, the final chord of which is either C minor or D minor unless thou wish'st us to storm thy house with an army of rabid wombats.) Honestly, though, I suppose the fact that most of the art so far produced has been prefaced or appendixed with comments to the effect of "Drawing this gave me seizures" is enough of an indicator as to why no-one has dared draw male versions of the female characters. The ickiness factor is, I can only assume, cubed. (I seem to remember the CRfH!!! TG pictures were all done by Maritza Campos herself; I suspect most of the fan artists would have lacked the, hm, cast iron digestive system required to draw the male versions of April, Margaret, Marsha, and the various secondary characters.)

Amusing to see, probably goose pimple inducing (and not in a good way) to draw, eh? (So I'd assume, not being an artist and so forth.)

(And 'ey, MZ, I'm still waiting for you to name a character sketch from Sd'A of which you have a less negative opinion than the others. I may have time to get some revisions to the suite made over the upcoming holiday weekend.)

K.A.H.
Some holiday weekend. Dad in China, mum in Singapore, brother in California, sister in Ohio, me in Michigan....
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:32 am

K A H wrote:Observation: with Tenma's pic of Ianna, I think we now have pics of the female versions of all of the male characters. This is in accordance with what I'm assuming is the first rule in the Fan Artist's Handbook: Thou shalt not depict characters of the male gender in thine drawings, not even transgendered drawings, unless thou includ'st female characters or homoerotic subtext that is as subtle as an atomic bomb. ;)
Actually I have plans for a Colin McFarlane (probably accompanied by Fabian Bradley), without homoerotic undertones, even (or just really subtle ones), but as this is more than just a charcter sketch (I intend to have a real topic in that picture, gasp!) it requires more time than I have at my hands right now.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:51 am

MarkusN wrote:Actually I have plans for a Colin McFarlane (probably accompanied by Fabian Bradley), without homoerotic undertones, even (or just really subtle ones), but as this is more than just a charcter sketch (I intend to have a real topic in that picture, gasp!) it requires more time than I have at my hands right now.

Wow. Well, I hope you end up with a few more hours on your hands in the near future, as I'm intrigued and would love to see the finished result! :)

K.A.H.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: *whiny voice* I wish I could draw!!!
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:23 am

Tenma wrote:Ianna Murray.

Mint! Though a hat would be appropriate in our sun :) Even the background fits well my own idea of Iain as a rural type.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:25 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Mint! Though a hat would be appropriate in our sun :) Even the background fits well my own idea of Iain as a rural type.
Especially with the sun shining down practically vertical. She must be somewhere close to or north of the tropic of capricorn. Hey! Longreach sits practically on the tropic of capricorn! But then, so does Bundaberg, which has the additional advantage of being close to the beach, and with the surf behind Ianna there...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:32 am

uhh...
I think you mean the Tropic of Cancer. We're dealing with the Southern Hemisphere remember?
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:26 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:uhh...
I think you mean the Tropic of Cancer. We're dealing with the Southern Hemisphere remember?

Actually I meant the tropic of capricorn. (But to be honest, I had to look it up.) It's logical, though. Remember: the sun stands in capricorn in the northern winter.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:22 pm

blarg. Sorry. I should have looked it up myself.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:22 pm

K A H wrote:Observation: with Tenma's pic of Ianna, I think we now have pics of the female versions of all of the male characters. This is in accordance with what I'm assuming is the first rule in the Fan Artist's Handbook: Thou shalt not depict characters of the male gender in thine drawings, not even transgendered drawings, unless thou includ'st female characters or homoerotic subtext that is as subtle as an atomic bomb. ;)

<snip>

Honestly, though, I suppose the fact that most of the art so far produced has been prefaced or appendixed with comments to the effect of "Drawing this gave me seizures" is enough of an indicator as to why no-one has dared draw male versions of the female characters. The ickiness factor is, I can only assume, cubed. (I seem to remember the CRfH!!! TG pictures were all done by Maritza Campos herself; I suspect most of the fan artists would have lacked the, hm, cast iron digestive system required to draw the male versions of April, Margaret, Marsha, and the various secondary characters.)

Amusing to see, probably goose pimple inducing (and not in a good way) to draw, eh? (So I'd assume, not being an artist and so forth.)

*Ahem.*

Another reason we haven't drawn many male versions of female characters is that they tend to quickly become forgotten.

Later...
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:26 pm

MarkusN wrote:TG Iain? Nah, he's in Aus.

Ha, that's what we're all supposed to think :)

Of course until last week we all thought David Walkerton was a heterosexual man, too.

Here's why I didn't recognise the beach setting of this fine picture:

1. I missed the darker blue band of the sky up top. So I thought the lighter blue was the sky in a kind of heat haze, and not the sea.
2. There's the hypothesis I have (not supported by canon) of Iain hailing from Longreach, Queensland.
3. It's a hot day, and the beach isn't crowded. Nope, doesn't add up :)
4. She's not carrying a bag, let alone one that takes two girls to carry it.
5. The shoes don't suit our generally sandy beaches. Sorry, but that's the way it is :) and it's the only part of the picture that looks wrong to me.

BTW the shark-tooth pendant is fiiiiiine :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tenma on Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:05 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:Here's why I didn't recognise the beach setting of this fine picture:

1. I missed the darker blue band of the sky up top. So I thought the lighter blue was the sky in a kind of heat haze, and not the sea.
2. There's the hypothesis I have (not supported by canon) of Iain hailing from Longreach, Queensland.
3. It's a hot day, and the beach isn't crowded. Nope, doesn't add up :)
4. She's not carrying a bag, let alone one that takes two girls to carry it.
5. The shoes don't suit our generally sandy beaches. Sorry, but that's the way it is :) and it's the only part of the picture that looks wrong to me.

Actually the beach background was kind of an afterthought. But the way I coloured Ianna herself ended up placing her in a bright setting, and beaches are always a fine sight (and pretty easy to draw.)

But if it bothers you, think about it the way I did: They just got to the beach and haven't stripped down to bikinis and bathing suits yet, and a companion wants to take a picture. (Female companion obviously, since a male would no doubt wait for bikini time.) Of course when taking a good picture you don't want a bunch of junk cluttering it up, so you wait until there are no people around, and stow the luggage.

Ah, many are the excuses for artistic oversight. :-)

Later...
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:14 pm

Sounds good to me :)
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:48 pm

Tenma wrote:(Female companion obviously, since a male would no doubt wait for bikini time.)

Would you be willing to draw the male companion's picture? Image
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:12 pm

MarkusN wrote:But then, so does Bundaberg, which has the additional advantage of being close to the beach, and with the surf behind Ianna there...

The truly great advantage of Bundaberg is that it's the home of Australia's largest distillery, and (not unlikely) Iain's favourite poison:

http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/home.html
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby K A H on Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:31 pm

Tenma wrote:*Ahem.*

Another reason we haven't drawn many male versions of female characters is that they tend to quickly become forgotten.

Aaagh.... I did mean to mention that as the thus far lone exception to the rule. Apologies, Tenma. Careless oversight on my part.

K.A.H.
Not exactly the first one I've made lately either! :-?
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:46 pm

Tenma wrote:*Ahem.*

Well, there is no potential for PSL with those ones, so we tend to discuss them less.

Plus they kinda freak us out...
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon