[FANART] Joe (and other assorted transgendered Avalonians)

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

[FANART] Joe (and other assorted transgendered Avalonians)

Postby MarkusN on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:23 pm

Or Josephine, rather:

With all the transgender talk it was bound to happen.

I hereby urge the more talented folk to one-up me. Come on, it's not that hard.
Last edited by MarkusN on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Symok on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:59 pm

hehe I like n_n

*looks for the colourers*
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:22 pm

Very nice, Markus. I seem to remember they had a thread on the CRfH!!! forum recently in which Maritza Campos herself posted transgendered art of the six roomies and various secondary characters; any volunteers to embark on a similar project on this side? (Don't look at me, I can't even draw the curtains.)

We'd have, what would we have....

Alain Richer (it'd need to be a French name)
Helen Gunderson (it's always struck me how similar their names are; a reversal seems apt)
Josephine Page
Colin MacFarlane (not Celtic, but I've known a few Scots named Colin)
Alex Montgomery
Fabian Bradley (it's either that or Philip and there's already one of them)
Derek Bradley
Raine Aberdeen (I checked, it's a real name)
Noel Bradley
Nathan Kawasaki (can't venture a guess on what the Japanese masculinisation is though)
Ann Murray (though I know Iain has no surname in the canon)
Jane and Hilmar Page (only vaguely Scandinavian-sounding name I could find starting with Hil-)
Phyllis and Serge Bradley
Cecilia the cat....

This makes me look as though I have too much time on my hands instead of too little, doesn't it? I'd better counteract this by getting a start on my commutative algebra homework. Anyone know anything about primary decomposition of modules?

K.A.H.
Or rings? Primary decomposition of rings? That would also help....
Last edited by K A H on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RJ Shep on Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:34 pm

K A H wrote:Ann Murray (though I know Iain has no surname in the canon),

You mean this?
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

That's not Dierdre; it's a MAN, BABY!

Postby Tenma on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:33 pm

Should this be creeping me out?

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby K A H on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:57 pm

RJ Shep wrote:
K A H wrote:Ann Murray (though I know Iain has no surname in the canon),

You mean this?

Ach. I knew the name looked familiar. Mind you, Iain Murray was an Aussie sailing expert, wasn't he? America's Cup captain and all that? I suppose giving his transgendered version the name of an actual person isn't entirely out of the question.

And Tenma, if it helps, that pic made me nervous as well. Very good, though would Derek (if I may use the name I suggested) have his hair styled in a braid? I've not seen many long-haired guys with braids. Pony tails, obviously (I have one myself), but not braids. That aside, that's a great pic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your art has come a long way.

K.A.H.
My ex-girlfriend tried to put my hair in a braid once. With very limited success.
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: That's not Dierdre; it's a MAN, BABY!

Postby MarkusN on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:23 am

Tenma wrote:<snip>

No, it shouldn't. Good one.

Ack can't remember the names of the TG cast, nor access it right now. You do have Derek there, don't you?

About braided male hair: The celts did, this, of course:

It was also common during the baroque and rokkoko periods.
I think it was also common among pirates. Oh, and among some native Americans, of course.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:44 am

MarkusN wrote:

Ack can't remember the names of the TG cast, nor access it right now. You do have Derek there, don't you?

Yep, one Derek Wilkins. He already has at least one fan, it would seem. :-)

This would be why I didn't originally call the pic "Derek Bradley." I thought it might create a conflict with my own stuff. It is a good male form of Deirdre's name, though, so I think it's safe to go with that, K A H.

As for the braid, I always thought Dierdre's was fairly unisex. Granted, I have never seen a male with hair as long as hers in the first place.

Later...
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby K A H on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:02 am

MarkusN wrote:

Yeah, I've arranged the list to make it a bit easier to read (see above).

About braided male hair: The celts did, this, of course: (pic of Obelix cut to save space)

It was also common during the baroque and rokkoko periods.
I think it was also common among pirates. Oh, and among some native Americans, of course.

True, true. It's not as commonplace now, though. (I presume that while Obelix is a fictitious character, Albert Uderzo did a bit of research into what people looked like in Roman-era Gaul.... or perhaps he just drew what he thought looked cool? I don't know, I've just read the stories, not the history behind them.) I remember reading somewhere that hair can only get so long before it starts falling out and growing in again naturally - the life span of a hair is something like three to five years. (Which explains why I've had one haircut in the last five and a half years but my hair hasn't grown noticeably longer in the last two years.)

I suspect a long-haired Derek (again, if I may use my TG name suggestion) would be appropriate given that, of course, Deirdre has the longest hair of the entire "Avalon" cast, though I'd venture to say most of the other characters should have their hair lengths reversed. (That said, Alison has fairly short hair, especially next to Ceilidh, Phoebe, and Hel
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:16 am

K A H wrote:
MarkusN wrote:Ack can't remember the names of the TG cast, nor access it right now. You do have Derek there, don't you?

I was ambiguous, actually; I wanted to address Tenma, and that should have read "You do have a Derek there, Tenma, right?"

But the rearranged list is appreciated anyway. Should give the artists a base to work from *nudge, nudge*.

K.A.H. wrote:I remember reading somewhere that hair can only get so long before it starts falling out and growing in again naturally - the life span of a hair is something like three to five years.
Yep, that's why men usually can't grow their hair quite as long as women, because it grows slower. It's a rare guy who can grow his hair to waist length.

[quote="K.A.H."](That said, Alison has fairly short hair, especially next to Ceilidh, Phoebe, and Hel
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:05 am

Got my hands on Photoshop 7.0. This sure has come a long way from the crappy 2.5 I normally use.

MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:00 am

K A H wrote:(I presume that while Obelix is a fictitious character, Albert Uderzo did a bit of research into what people looked like in Roman-era Gaul.... or perhaps he just drew what he thought looked cool? I don't know, I've just read the stories, not the history behind them.)

Not sure about the hairstyles, but IIRC Asterix and Obelix were modelled on Goscinny and Uderzo themselves, respectively. And of course, Gauls were Celts, like today's Bretons and Channel Islanders among others, so perhaps that's why they are drawn with braids?

And Markus, that coloured pic of Jo is just too PSLiferous.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haesslich on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:50 am

Later...
--Tenma

Only in the fact that you've created an Evil Mirror Universe Deirdre/Derek... :evil:

Though even that's a faithful rendition...
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:50 pm

MarkusN wrote:
K A H wrote:
MarkusN wrote:Ack can't remember the names of the TG cast, nor access it right now. You do have Derek there, don't you?

I was ambiguous, actually; I wanted to address Tenma, and that should have read "You do have a Derek there, Tenma, right?"

Heh, there are no TransGendered folk on my TG. Not yet, at least.

Later...
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenma on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:53 pm

MarkusN wrote:Got my hands on Photoshop 7.0. This sure has come a long way from the crappy 2.5 I normally use.

W00t. :-) The pic looks 100% better. Does this mean we'll see more art from you in the future?

Later...
--Tenma

Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:03 pm

K A H wrote:Fabian Bradley (it's either that or Philip and there's already one of them)

She wouldn't be the first girl to be named after her father. Remember "Plenty O'Toole"?
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby K A H on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:43 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:Not sure about the hairstyles, but IIRC Asterix and Obelix were modelled on Goscinny and Uderzo themselves, respectively. And of course, Gauls were Celts, like today's Bretons and Channel Islanders among others, so perhaps that's why they are drawn with braids?

That would explain the "Goscinnyrix et Uderzorix" pics in the front of some of the more recent editions. That said, I remember reading somewhere that Goscinny, though a good deal shorter than Uderzo, was rather pudgy, while Uderzo was on the thin side. (Definitely modelled on Goscinny was Asterix and Obelix' guide in Israel in Asterix and the Black Gold (as it's known in English) - Uderzo honouring his late colleague. And, of course, their likenesses appear in Asterix at the Olympic Games.)

At any rate, you make a good point that, of course, Gauls were Celts, hence the braids. But if that were appropriate for a transgendered "Avalon" character, surely it'd be even better fit to male Ceilidh AKA Colin? :)

GrassyNoel wrote:She wouldn't be the first girl to be named after her father. Remember "Plenty O'Toole"?

.... yes, thank you Neil. :P One of the daftest names in a film series rife with 'em. (Actually, a non-fictitious example would be TV chef Nigella Lawson, named for her father, Chancellor under Thatcher Nigel Lawson.) Anyway, it just seemed weird to keep a name intact but shift it to a different character.

Incidentally, something observed on the transgendered CRfH!!! art that also applies here: were the genders reversed but the roles preserved, it would certainly put a weird spin on things. Imagine: Alain and Helen, the former overly demonstrative in his affections in a bid to hide from the fact that she doesn't actually love him, while she does everything she can to get out of the relationship other than actually telling him to his face that she wants out. Doesn't seem as plausible with the genders reversed. And as for the violent tendencies of the entire female cast.... well, let's just say that would have very unpleasant implications if the genders were reversed but the personalities were preserved. (Huzzah for double standards.)

(OT digression on the DAF Bond girls: apparently they had a photo shoot recently featuring all of the (surviving?) Bond girls, but it had to be abandoned because a rather nasty argument broke out between Lana Wood (who played Plenty O'Toole) and Jill St.John (who played Tiffany Case) over Robert Wagner and his rumoured role in Natalie Wood's demise. Interesting coincidence that Wagner's once and future sister-in-law and future third wife should have played Bond girls in the same film, I think. So when will Robert Wagner appear in a Bond film?)

K.A.H.
I suppose there's always his star turn as Number Two in the Austin Powers films.

(Edit: Hey, Post #500. And it only took me two years and three months.)
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Galvatron56 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:08 pm

I wonder if she laughs maniacally.

(looks over his shoulder for evil, karate wielding Mr. Sulu.)

Haesslich wrote:

Later...
--Tenma

Only in the fact that you've created an Evil Mirror Universe Deirdre/Derek... :evil:

Though even that's a faithful rendition...
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:00 pm

K A H wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:She wouldn't be the first girl to be named after her father. Remember "Plenty O'Toole"?

.... yes, thank you Neil. :P One of the daftest names in a film series rife with 'em. (Actually, a non-fictitious example would be TV chef Nigella Lawson, named for her father, Chancellor under Thatcher Nigel Lawson.)

Wasn't it Terry Pratchett who wrote that the name Nigella means 'oops, we were expecting a boy'?
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Tenma wrote:
MarkusN wrote:Got my hands on Photoshop 7.0. This sure has come a long way from the crappy 2.5 I normally use.
W00t. :-) The pic looks 100% better. Does this mean we'll see more art from you in the future?
Note that I said "got my hands on", not "got". There's a fine difference there. Plus the temporal restrictions still apply. But I'd like to do more. I especially owe the audience a contribution in the best appreciated fanart genre.
(On some boards that would be shemales, but luckily this isn't one of those.)
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby mzacher on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:52 am

...Sketch Time!

...and I'm echoing Tenma: For some reason this seems a little creepy. :-?
mzacher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:42 am

I like the detail here. Perhaps you didn't do this consciously, but that rubber (Aust. = eraser, before you cry out) is a Staedtler brand item, judging by its package of blue with white edges. Staedtler is Josh's handle in the livejournal and on IRC, I think.

Oh, and Raine is hot. Pretty name, too, thanks for choosing that one, K A H. A long time ago there was a girl in my class named Raine.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Galvatron56 on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:40 am

It does look like one, doesn't it? Mars plastic and all.

AHHH! So hot, yet so wrong...

Must be that librarian fetish thing acting up again.
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:55 am

mzacher wrote:...Sketch Time!
Woo Hoo!

I guess some folks will cringe at the iMac there. "Real men don't use..." and all that bullshit.

Green eyes for Raine. I dunno. Though no "official" eye colour has been canonized for Ryan as far as I know.

And whatsit with all the girls in Avalon suddenly chewing pencils?
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:06 am

Are you complaining?

It's a nervous habit, and draws attention... to... the... mouth.

Right.
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Avalon