How did you find Avalon?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

How did you find Avalon?

Postby Harlenna on Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:52 am

I was just wondering to myself how each person wandered over to the comic, and then how they wandered over to the forum. Mostly for nostalgia's sake.

For myself, a friend from school told me a comic called Avalon high had a cameo or two of Great Big Sea in it, and since I was a GBS nut, I was excited to see it. I didn't find it on the main page, so I wandered into the forum to ask where it was. And so here I am.
Harlenna
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:46 am

I don't remember precisely.

Someone at LJ mentioned and linked It's Walky!, so I went to see. From there it's a small step over to Avalon.

However, the whole thing happened twice. I fist stumbled over it sometimes in spring 2002. I had little time to browse the archives then, so I left and promptly forgot about the whole thing.

Then a few months later (in late October) the same thing again: It's Walky mentioned, over to Avalon, this time some time on my hands, and BANG! I was hooked. It only proves my luck that Josh went on the real long hiatus right then.

When I do something like that I usually go the whole nine yards, so sooner or later joining the forum was a natural.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby JavierMoio on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:56 am

in my case, lemme remember...
oh yeah, i remember! :P
First time i ever saw something Avalon, was while reading LoR (Dan Jaared had done a fanart, i remember, and also posted it on his site). I came across Avalon almost a year later while checking on keenspot's comics (don't ask me why i was checking on the list @@), and remembering the fanart, i decided to give it a try, and so i got hooked up ^_^;;
And about the forum, i really don't remember @_@;
~Behold the god of hyperactiveness, stress and tackling! XD~
JavierMoio
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Aramchek on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:18 am

Well, I was already reading far more webcomics than I figured I really had time to, so even though I kept hearing about how great Avalon was from plenty of people, I figured that I should avoid starting to read yet another webcomic

My self control sucks :-)

/Aramchek (zeroes and ones)
"I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them" - George Bush
Aramchek
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:24 am

insomnia. Really bad insomnia. I wan't able to sleep at night for about 2 weeks at one point back in march. Cruzed the internet instead. Found It's Walky! Got onto their forums. They had a thread about the new Avalon comic posted back after the extream hiatus, and so I figured I'd check it out. Read the archives in about 2 days I think.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby WeeeZer14 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:56 am

The first time I found Avalon -- well I really do not remember. But when I recently came back to re-read the archives and catch up it was due to seeing a Keenspot news box over at sinfest.

I wandered into the forums out of curiosity and the level of (dare I say it) maturity was such that I decided to stick around. (Hmm, I don't really say if the maturity level is high or low with that comment. Perfect for this bunch. :wink: )
-- David
WeeeZer14
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MoronBoy on Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:38 am

Lessee, I found Sluggy Freelance first.
I read throught the crossover in the archives, then followed it to GPF.
From GPF, I saw the newsbox and Tae Jensen's art in it.
And then I found myself at Avalon and its forums, with the maturity of a three-year-old.
Now I act at least twelve. Hanging around GlitterFey (AKA BrassyDel on Nightstar) just has that aging effect. ^^;
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
(If you can't see these images... I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register anywhere else.)
MoronBoy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:50 pm

Javier - same here. I first saw Ceilidh on LoR, so decided to go see what it was like.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Animal on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:34 pm

I was doing a Google search for "Avalon," in the process of looking up something for a short story I was thinking of writing. I saw "Avalon - an original comic strip by Josh Phillips," and I was curious enough to go look.

Four hours of archive-surfing later, I was hooked. And I never wrote the short story. :wink:
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby kobayashi maru on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:42 pm

One of my college friends introduced me to Sinfest. After I finished those archives, I started looking for other Keenspot comics. I think I linked to Avalon after reading It's Walky (just like almost everyone else here I guess). Lots of free time at work helped me read through Avalon fairly quickly and I've been keeping up ever since.
kobayashi maru
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Marcos on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:45 pm

Avalon was mentioned often enough in the It's Walky! forum that I decided to read it.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Wheresmybeer on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:53 pm

I had never seen a webcomic before, but after reading parts of Penny-Arcade, I went searching for more one night. I went over a lot of comics that didn't really impress me much -most don't- but by chance I stumbled over Avalon, probably through Clan BOB. Up until that point I'd figured I'd wasted my time, so its safe to say that its because of Avalon that I still bother to read webcomics, now 10 months later.
Wheresmybeer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenma on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:25 pm

My roommates got me into reading Penny Arcade and PvP as well as Men In Hats (which is hilarious, btw.) One day I started going through the Keenspot dropdown menu on Men In Hats and next thing you know, I was here.

I don't think I really started reading it until the second time I came across it, in late February 2003. Something told me that the comic was worth checking out, so I started going through the archive. By Volume 2, there was no turning back. :-)

It took me about a week to finish the archive. I'm not lucky enough to have a lot of spare time on my hands like some of you people. ;-) But I did pretty much nothing but read Avalon until I was done. After I finished the archive I was still obsessing over it. I started sketching out the characters, starting with Joe and Ceilidh. Then Deirdre. I don't think I kept those sketches. They weren't too bad, but nothing worthy of CGing. For a long time after that, everything I drew came out in Josh-style.

I had already been all over the fanart on the site. With no outlet for my obsession (since this was during the big hiatus,) I ventured into the forum. After catching up a bit, I showed up with my first piece of fanart.

I think my art has improved a bit since then. ^^;;

My entrance into the forum will probably always be associated with MarkusN's impressive ruse. :-)

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:56 pm

The first webcomic I ever read was Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet. That was recommended by a radio station I listened to at the time, about 1996. Helen won a CCA award, last year, I think, and so I looked at the list of winners. Ozy and Mille and Avalon had both won awards so I started reading them on 13 July 2002. It's Walky followed a couple of days later.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nick Pavlovski on Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:40 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:...it was due to seeing a Keenspot news box over at sinfest...

Same here.
Nick Pavlovski
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:18 pm

I heard about the first Gala thread. ;)
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby K A H on Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:19 am

Hrm.... well, I started off reading "Sluggy Freelance" and "User Friendly" in summer of 1999 when a guy on the same summer research programme as I introduced me to them - stuck with those two for a while until the Hallowe'en 1999 crossover introduced me to "Unlike Minerva" (in its days of rotating artists), "Roomies!" (which, as I stopped reading SF and UF around three years ago, is now the webcomic I've been reading for the longest period of time, though there was a gap of a year or so after His Willisship reinvented it as "It's Walky!" during which I ignored it, then I read the archives and caught up after it was featured in the Keen Newsbox), and the now defunct "Surf Rat and Spencer". Through this last I stumbled on the patchwork quilt made for Charles Schulz, which introduced me to, among others, "Absurd Notions" in early 2000. And on the Links page of this last, my eye was drawn to the description for "Avalon" in Februrary 2001. I was already reading around fifteen webcomics a day at the time, usually when I was supposed to be writing C++ code for my then employer, so naturally I thought another one was a terrific idea. Didn't actually start posting to the Forum until six months later (I think I wandered in briefly in May or June, when the first Avapr0n thread was at its height, causing me to depart as swiftly as I had arrived), as my profile indicates.

Sad thing is, in all that time I haven't shut up about my contribution to the fan community for more than a few weeks at a time. Talk about a one-note posting career.

K.A.H.
Well, two notes - can't forget the awful plays on words. (A stage would be more practical, but these plays are too awful to merit a stage.)
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:50 am

Tenma wrote:
It took me about a week to finish the archive. I'm not lucky enough to have a lot of spare time on my hands like some of you people. ;-)

Hell, it took me a month to read the whole archive. 'Course,that was combined with LoR as well...
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hayasaka Kosei on Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:03 am

I honestly can't remember. ^^; I think I was asking some online friends for good webcomics,and one of them linked me here.
Hayasaka Kosei
CRFH Code version 3.2
R+ D&X-- !WB F+ PSL+ U++ IRC BSL++ RPG+++ P+++ I+ E? GN+++ AI+++

Image Shwing!
Hayasaka Kosei
Keenspot Despot

How did you find Avalon

Postby muse on Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:30 pm

It was one of the very few banner ads I've ever clicked on in my life. I think the line went something like "Hockey, Cats, and Canadian Humour--What's not to like?"

I went through the archives in one shift (to be fair, it was when there was a LOT less there) and have been hooked ever since.
muse
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TheAuldGrump on Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:37 pm

Freefall -->Ozy and Millie -->Keenspot --> Avalon.

For Suburban Jungle I just ran across a posting by the Gneech at ENWorld...

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: How did you find Avalon

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:03 am

muse wrote:It was one of the very few banner ads I've ever clicked on in my life. I think the line went something like "Hockey, Cats, and Canadian Humour--What's not to like?"

You got ripped off - there's only the one cat.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby tappel on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:40 am

Heh, it was probably early December or late November, 1999. My route was:

The first installation of MMoB -> BigPanda -> Avalon.

Those were the times... With the series like Bobbins, Waiting for Bob, and so forth. Avalon was on ceilidh.dhs.org, and there were the weekly polls.

Never been much of a forumer, though.

- tappel

(I remember, by the way, having come across Sluggy freelance way before it became ultra-famous. It was through hell.org, which we checked with a friend just for the name, and saw the Sluggy banner. We were on the net through a modem, so we read the first week and decided to come check the rest later.. Must have been around late 1998...)
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rainer K. Koreasalo on Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:06 am

I too found Avalon through the MmoB -> BigPanda -> Avalon path sometime around the strip's first month or so.

That is after all the "intaanettonokomikkudou". No, really - I did a lot of on-line comics missionary work back then - promoting the first version of MmoB and spreading the word of online comics in general.

-r.
Rainer K. Koreasalo
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Volkai on Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:46 pm

My first experience with Avalon: who's this's "Ceilidh" person Aaron's talking to?

This happened when I was reading through the ClanBOB archives. At the time, I was too busy to actually click on the Avalon link.

Then, a few months later (this would be around X-Mas now), I go back and look around the stuff again. This time, I check out Avalon. I get about halfway through Volume 1, then have to go do school stuff. At this point, I'm pretty much offline, trying to graduate from High School. Which I have now accomplished. (Yay!)

A few days ago: bored, I click around online, find the Avalon bookmark from when I'd first been looking at ClanBoB, and read the entire archive instead of cleaning my room.
Now, done with what's out so far of the comic, I go look at the boards. Yay.
-Volkai
ImageImage
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny

"Isn't this Taco Bell?" -Dina
"It's cheaper than food!" -Walky
Volkai
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Avalon