The official "What's up with Avalon?" thread

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:43 pm

I had my hopes up this weekend, thinking I could have a comic ready for Monday, but unfortunately that won't be happening. It's mostly due to sleep issues, which are still serious enough that I need to check in to a sleep lab for examination. :-/ So that'll be in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I'm going to shoot for two comics this week.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:00 pm

Re the sleep lab: been there, done that, bought the inhaler. It's a good thing.

Re the comics: whenever you can mate, we aren't going anywhere.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:07 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:It's mostly due to sleep issues, which are still serious enough that I need to check in to a sleep lab for examination. :-/ So that'll be in a couple of weeks.

Ouch! Take good care of your health, man, you got only one.

Meanwhile, I'm going to shoot for two comics this week.

If you can manage that, I'll be dizzy with happyness.

If last week one, this week two is indicative of any kind of a trend, I'll be delirious ;)
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby All-Purpose Guru on Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:49 am

Josh Phillips wrote:...sleep issues, which are still serious enough that I need to check in to a sleep lab for examination. :-/ So that'll be in a couple of weeks.

Hey Josh, went through a sleep study myself. Quite an experience.

It helped me a lot, hope it does for you too.

We can wait for the comics. Get healthy first.
--apg

"Once you accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid becomes easy." --Albert Einstein
All-Purpose Guru
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gigafreak on Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:36 pm

Naturally, dead or sleep-deprived Josh is as useful to us as no Josh at all. Take your time.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Ok, I'm gonna sound greedy and self serving here, but I would like to see a new comic soon. I was fortunate enough to just pick up on how good Avalon is yesterday, so I didn't have to wait for a month between comics like many of the people here, but I have enjoyed the story profusely, and am anxiously waiting to see what happens next.

Take your time of course, I don't want you to have anymore problems just because I came on and got a bit greedy, but as a new fan, I must say good job, and I can't wait for the next one.

And it's about time somebody made a comic that takes place in Canada! (yes I am Canadian)
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:51 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Take your time of course, I don't want you to have anymore problems just because I came on and got a bit greedy, but as a new fan, I must say good job, and I can't wait for the next one.

Ah, but when you wait a long time, it's so much sweeter when it finally arrives. Savor your anticipation. Be one with your longing.

And it's about time somebody made a comic that takes place in Canada! (yes I am Canadian)

You mean like For Better Or For Worse? I swear, every week I open up the newspaper and see the whole Patterson Family choking down vats of poutine, back bacon, and Moosehead.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh Phillips on Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:56 pm

Well, my plan for two comics this week failed pretty miserably. I have one started that I wanted to finish tonight, but given the current late hour and my need to get some sleep in before a doctor appointment tomorrow, I'm going to have to postpone it until Monday. At that point I'll see what I might be able to manage for next week.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:19 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:Well, my plan for two comics this week failed pretty miserably. I have one started that I wanted to finish tonight, but given the current late hour and my need to get some sleep in before a doctor appointment tomorrow, I'm going to have to postpone it until Monday. At that point I'll see what I might be able to manage for next week.

Baby steps, man.
Sometimes getting back up on the horse involves a lot of going down to the stable and looking at the horse. Small impovements are still better than no improvements.

And don't worry about the big long break thing. You aren't even in the top ten there. Some of us have been waiting two years for the new installment of "Waiting for Bob".
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:19 pm

bunnyThor wrote:You mean like For Better Or For Worse? I swear, every week I open up the newspaper and see the whole Patterson Family choking down vats of poutine, back bacon, and Moosehead.

Yes, I know, they are Canadian, i read that one online all the time too. I should have specified "webcomics"
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenma on Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:04 am

Josh Phillips wrote:Well, my plan for two comics this week failed pretty miserably. I have one started that I wanted to finish tonight, but given the current late hour and my need to get some sleep in before a doctor appointment tomorrow, I'm going to have to postpone it until Monday. At that point I'll see what I might be able to manage for next week.

No sweat, Josh. We're all ecstatic to see you back in action but we don't want you to overdo it or try to rush anything. Thanks for the update on the situation, and I hope your doctor's appointment yielded positive results.

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JoeOutOfSaccharine on Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:20 am

What he said.

J.
JoeOutOfSaccharine
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby All-Purpose Guru on Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:23 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one waiting on Waiting for Bob.
--apg

"Once you accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid becomes easy." --Albert Einstein
All-Purpose Guru
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Thenodrin on Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:01 am

I'm a new reader and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading Avalon. I check every morning before work to see if the next one is out yet.

I want to thank you, Josh, not only for creating such a wonderful story, but for giving these updates on this forum. As a writer, myself, I know how difficult it can be to continue to write, even something you love, when troubles in your personal life exist.

I just want you to know that you have another fan, and whenever the next episode comes out, I'll be here to enjoy it.

Thanks!
Theno
Thenodrin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The official "What's up with Avalon?" thread

Postby KitttieLuv on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:11 am

Trillan wrote:If your doctor offered prescription drugs to you, take them. If s|he didn't, ask if there are any.

My business partner was depressed for at least a year. He was finally diagnosed with it and given drugs. It was all he needed; within a few months he was off the drugs and back to normal.

Depression breeds more depression. Success breeds more success. Sure, it's possible to slip back in, but it's also possible (and even likely, I think) that once you climb out you'll stay out.

Best of luck, Josh.

:roll: Drugs don't always work. I, myself, have been diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression. I take prescribed medications but if you're not able to sleep right, even the meds don't always help. Even if you are sleeping right, sometimes it takes years to figure out which drug is right for you. Meanwhile, life is still happening. This is especially true for people who have been suffering from it for years. Your business partner was lucky. I wish that a few months of medication would solve the problem once and for all. But for a great many, that's just not the way it happens.

Josh, I've just recently come across your comic and as most others here, think it's positively wonderful. Take care of yourself and congratulations on the upcoming (or is it already passed?) wedding.
~ Sometimes, you just need to live. ~ Life is what happens when we are making other plans. ~ "All the world's a stage, and the men and women in it merely players..." ~
KitttieLuv
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Darth Paradox on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:48 am

Upcoming. The date is August 9th.
Darth Paradox
Christopher Battey, CI
Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic. College == chaos && chaos == fun.
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:06 am

You know what? I think we're being just a *tad* too supportive of Josh. Maybe if we threaten to lynch him, he'll be more... shall we say, motivated to give us new comics?

And if rampant speculation about the characters also helps, why not speculate about the characters lynching Josh for leaving them hanging? I can just imagine Ceilidh, furious at Josh for not knowing what's happening... or something. And Deeds wields a mean hammer...

So what say you? The rope is always free, as is the ergotian beer. [For those who don't know, ergot is a hallucinogen; thus, ergotian beer would tend to put pretty haloes around lights.]
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Darth Paradox on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:31 pm

The character's ways of handling Josh's absence:

Ceilidh: She'd probably mope a bit, get really frustrated at wondering whether her creator really cares about her, and perhaps formulate an ill-thought-out plan to capture his attention.

Joe: Push Josh down the stairs.

Phoebe: Probably yell and scream at Josh a lot, and seethe for a long time. Maybe upend a punch bowl on him.

Alan: I think Alan's overall attitude would be "eh". Maybe he'd try to set Josh on fire.

Helene: Try to get Josh to feel better, then burst into tears when it doesn't work.

Ryan: Trying to determine and solve the problem that's keeping Josh from drawing.

Alison: Sarcastically take apart Josh's psyche, determine that the lack of updates relates to some unresolved issue in his past, and tell him so in a slightly demeaning manner.

Nancy: obvious.
Darth Paradox
Christopher Battey, CI
Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic. College == chaos && chaos == fun.
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:38 pm

you forgot Deirdre: Seduce him into coming out of his shell, then fall for him by accident.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:04 pm

Darth Paradox wrote:Ceilidh.. would ... perhaps formulate an ill-thought-out plan to capture his attention.

She was already at it. ;)
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:13 am

Darth Paradox wrote:Joe: Push Josh down the stairs.

Naw, that'd involve breaking Josh's arms, which he needs to draw.

Darth Paradox wrote:Nancy: obvious.

See above.

Darth Paradox wrote:Ryan: Trying to determine and solve the problem that's keeping Josh from drawing.

Ryan didn't study much biology, so this will fail. Instead, he will design a functional Star Wars Bacta Tank based on the many concept-art books out there. This may work or it may only give a feeling similar to that of being submerged in LCL.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fool on Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:37 am

Darth Paradox wrote:Ryan: Trying to determine and solve the problem that's keeping Josh from drawing.

You forgot to mention this would involve drawing a chart.

Gigafreak wrote:This may work or it may only give a feeling similar to that of being submerged in LCL.

I wonder if he can design something to give a feeling similar to that of being submerged in FLCL.

Lessee... who else...

Jimmy Page: Leave Josh for a younger artist.

Joe Mama: Go out for a smoke break.

Sarah Bradley: Nag and henpeck Josh.

Phil Bradley: Talk about it with Joe Mama during her smoke break.

Noelle Bradley: Go out for a drink.

Pol & Maire MacFarlane: Give Josh a whack. If tha' don't work, they canna help ye.

Hee hee hee...
Joe Mama...
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:14 am

Fool wrote:Pol & Maire MacFarlane: Give Josh a whack. If tha' don't work, they canna help ye.

Pol also believes that no problem can't be solved by a visit to Canadian Tire.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:34 am

Dang! I seem to have jinxed it! (last paragraph)

Seriously, though: Anybody seen Josh around? I know I haven't in at least a week. Are you alright, man?

[edit: At least he did show up on the forum today]
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dumbo_theabusedclown on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:34 pm

im a new reader as well, hehe =p. the third one posting on this post....i must say i do like avalon and its a great peice of work...can't wait for more =) =)
yo.
Dumbo_theabusedclown
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon