The official "What's up with Avalon?" thread

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby Mravac Kid on Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:25 am

I just want to say: Hang in there, Josh!
Nobody expects you to finish the comic immediately (and if anyone does they're idiots), especially considering it's become a monthly comic. Go do whatever else you want to do, sometimes you need to get your mind off the subject at hand. Doing the same stuff all the time can clog the creative artheries, so the time off should help you get into the right mood and drive to finish Avalon.

Anyway, we'll be here waiting. Well, maybe not here, but out there somewhere.

I know I'll keep Avalon on my favorites list and check on it periodically, so any time you're ready, just keep going.
And in the meantime you can just put fanart up now and then (there should be at least some non-smut fanart, shouldn't it? :) ). Or nothing at all, there's plenty of other great comics out there to keep us busy while we're waiting.

So, cheer up and don't worry, I'm sure that pretty much everyone here is confident that you'll finish the comic eventually. And willing to wait for it.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby SeptumSin on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:18 am

If you really suffer as much as you're trying to suggest, I propose that *you* are the one who needs to do something about it, not me.

The only person I am at the beck and call for is myself.

JOSH.

I'm sorry if my comments turned out sounding offensive and I understand at least somewhat of the whole web comic/work thing. I work with undesireable people a minimal of 40 hours a week and work towards keeping up my webcomic. And if stopping this and moving on to a new project is what you really wish to do then I wish you the best on that endevor. You've build quite a thing here and I just hate to see it move on. I could only dream of having this much response to my work. But anycase it's been a fun ride and I've had fun taking the plunge into the wonderous plot and deep characters.

Best of luck on all your future endevors
Look. I only fired after the woman told me to!
SeptumSin
Junior Keenspotter

New comic? Interesting...

Postby Melanophylle on Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:17 am

I for one am excited about the idea of a new webcomic by Josh!
He has already amply proved that he is a great writer, with a great emotional style, so why should we be sorry to see him try his hand at something new?

Of course, I'm as curious as anyone else to see how Avalon ends, but if the project is a bit "tired", by now, maybe it's better for Josh to let it be for a while. I'm not a comic artist, but playing the piano I discovered that when I abandoned a piece for even a year, and studied other stuff, when I got back to it, I actually understood and played it much better!

Oh, and pardon me for spouting off and being only a newbie :oops:
Melanophylle
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: New comic? Interesting...

Postby Volkai on Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:14 am

Melanophylle wrote:I for one am excited about the idea of a new webcomic by Josh!
He has already amply proved that he is a great writer, with a great emotional style, so why should we be sorry to see him try his hand at something new?

Of course, I'm as curious as anyone else to see how Avalon ends, but if the project is a bit "tired", by now, maybe it's better for Josh to let it be for a while. I'm not a comic artist, but playing the piano I discovered that when I abandoned a piece for even a year, and studied other stuff, when I got back to it, I actually understood and played it much better!

Oh, and pardon me for spouting off and being only a newbie :oops:
Your viewpoints are valid, there is no cause for you to beg pardon.

Hey Josh! What's the new comic about? You gonna give us any info before it's up?

Maybe just a working name?
-Volkai
ImageImage
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny

"Isn't this Taco Bell?" -Dina
"It's cheaper than food!" -Walky
Volkai
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Spaceman42 on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Volkai - it's Cog, IIRC, unless things have changed.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:45 pm

Spaceman42 wrote:Volkai - it's Cog, IIRC, unless things have changed.

Things have changed.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:23 pm

I can recommend http://www.livejournal.com/users/staedtler to anybody craving their fix of JoshArt.

Avalon it aint, but at least it's something :-?
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby TheAuldGrump on Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:21 am

I am sorry to read that Avalon won't be continued any time soon.

Not surprised, just sorry. It is a lot harder to pick up a project that you are having problems with than it is to start fresh. And by now there are probably anxiety issues tied into penning the comic as well. After a while of that all the fun can go right out of the project. (For authors this is called 'writer's block'. For cartoonists...?)

Anxiety and depression are a horrible combination. (I suffer from anxiety on occassion, a few of my friends suffer from depression, on the whole I will keep anxiety, thank you very much...)

The only cure that I have found for such blocks is go off and do something else, let the project that is blocked lie fallow, go back to it only when you suddenly have an urge to. (I have picked up stalled projects five years later, just because I suddenly felt like doing them.) It is very much like trying to remember something, think of something else and sometimes the thing you were trying to remember pops right into your head.

I should also mention that the few strips you have been creating for Avalon have been right on the money, well drawn and well conceived. Just let the field rest for a while while you plant a different crop. Come back when you can.

Most of all work on a project you can have fun with.

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JoeOutOfSaccharine on Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:40 pm

Take as long as it takes - one of my favourite comics (V for Vendetta) went on something like a 3-year hiatus before it was finished. Just glad I was too young to read it the first time round. Your new character designs are looking nice'n'fresh(tm) - hope it feels that way drawing 'em. :)

Needless to say, please just don't get hit by a truck or something before finishing Avalon!

Looking forward to the new stuff :)

J.
JoeOutOfSaccharine
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Animal on Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:43 pm

Josh, I know all too well how one's life priorities and obligations can change. If there never is another Avalon comic at all, it still was a wonderful effort, wonderful art, and a wonderful story.

Avalon touches us all on so many levels - you've made me remember my first love, my first real date, and a lot more. I'm sure you've done that for many, many people.

The story resonates. Avalon is one of the very best, no matter how it wraps up.

You da man, Josh.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:44 am

Dayum! I visited the Kenspot homepage today for (i think) the first time since they changed their design.

And who was there to greet me on the left if not Ceilidh "Raspberry" MacFarlane?

Yes, I know it was just coincidence.

But damn! That doesn't make the pang of pain any more bearable. (Yes, I'm a sap, go away.)
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:32 pm

Willis has been dropping a few hints about who he'll be working with after IW! ends. Josh is one of the prime suspects ...
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Marcos on Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:35 pm

Yes, Josh is one of the prime suspects.

Therefore, it'll be Michael Poe. :wink:
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darth Paradox on Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:57 pm

Kevin Pease has had similar problems carrying on with Absurd Notions - sometimes creative issues, sometimes life issues, just in general stuff getting in the way. He started a separate project, "Why The Long Face", which was just some quick journalish doodles about his life.

Long story short, it got his creative juices flowing again, and not long after he started that, AN made its return.

Sometimes you just have to do something else. Avalon will return, eventually.

Darth, I took the liberty to replace your HTML with BBcode
Darth Paradox
Christopher Battey, CI
Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic. College == chaos && chaos == fun.
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:13 pm

Darth Paradox wrote:Long story short, it got his creative juices flowing again, and not long after he started that, AN made its return.

Sometimes you just have to do something else. Avalon will return, eventually.

I'm hoping for something like that here, but you never can tell before you tried.

One thing's for sure, Josh has some major case of writer's block with Avalon, and I sure as hell know how that feels.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Melanophylle on Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:40 am

Hrm... I've just been nosing through your Livejournal, Josh. (Thanks MarkusN.) Is anyone else wondering what "Bagot" means?
I just made muffins! And they came out... bad.
Melanophylle
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:08 pm

Bagot could be a(nother) Canadian place name. The Rush-Bagot Treaty (1817) defines the terms under which vessels of the two navies may be assigned to the Great Lakes. Charles Bagot signed on behalf of the UK (which was in possession of Canada), and Richard Rush signed on behalf of the USA.
Last edited by GrassyNoel on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:05 pm

Ok, two explanations I came up with:

A wordplay with "bag" and "bigot". (Don't know why, but then, we don't know what Bagot will be about.)

Or a bag of OT jokes.

Or a word the sound of which Josh simply liked.

Take your pick.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Free Radical on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:54 am

Of course it could just be the name of one of the characters...
Love the sketches Josh. That'll be something to look forward to anyway.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:09 pm

Marcos wrote:Yes, Josh is one of the prime suspects.

Therefore, it'll be Michael Poe. :wink:

Oooh, that'd be nice. Not only is he one of the best in business, he also likes to draw (and write storylines about) nekkid girls ;)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tropylium on Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:46 am

I think I'm just going to eventually archive Avalon in the "Nothin' Happenin' Here" corner of my bookmarks, rediscover it in 2007, and be delighted to see that there has been, wow, almost 20 more updates after that. :D

Patience is truly a virtue... though reading 50 other comics helps too. :wink:
Tropylium
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby silent watcher on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:46 am

Tropylium wrote:Patience is truly a virtue... though reading 50 other comics helps too. :wink:

As opposed to me, who, instead of waiting patiently for superior artwork, will annoy, spam and flame until I get what I want. Now for some bitchin':

Imagebitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch .... and more of the same.Image

Pardon my french.
"I can smell the sea."
- Majiir Paktu, Homeworld.
silent watcher
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gamerking on Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:17 pm

what is the name of your new comic, and if you have started it, where can i find it?

I'll wait forever for Avalon to finish, so all you non-fans, quit bitchin and wait.
Gamerking
Junior Keenspotter

What's up with 280?

Postby DaFalcon on Tue May 11, 2004 12:25 pm

Hey, what's the deal?! I keep coming back here, but you haven't updated 280 in like... a week! I really need to know what is going to happen to these characters, and I don't think you should start something if you're not going to finish it in a schedule that fits what I expect. I mean, look at all the fame this gig is getting you, and you just treat all your fans like big nobodys with nothing better to do than sit around and compain about how you haven't updated 280 in, like, forever. So get with it, man.

I'm odd, I know. Sorry. Need sleep.
DaFalcon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Husaria on Wed May 26, 2004 9:53 pm

for the last fsecking time, its a damn hobby for Josh, he doesn't have to serve the fans, its not like you paid for Avalon, its a FREE comic, like all Keenspot comics, just keep coming back, Josh will get around to it one day, I can imagine something like this is rather hard to finish for him, its his first comic, his second comic though, I like so far, but remember its a hobby of his, he has to live, but I think I'll have my doctorate first before Josh finishes his comic :lol:
Husaria
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon