(OT) A call to artists.

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:58 am

Yeah, I'm in the military...the Naval Reserve, to be specific. No, I'm not in intel...at least, not the fancy intel you see in movies. Although there ARE things I can't discuss with most people, most of what I do isn't really classified. Not yet, anyway. I'm still a junior rank, so I don't know anything fancy. I might go for a commission when I get my degree though :wink:
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gigafreak on Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:47 am

Remind me never to piss you off without a kevlar jacket handy.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:18 pm

I do have to admit that M-16's are fun...
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Hayasaka Kosei on Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:58 pm

STEALTHpenguin wrote:...

Dude.

...that's my line.
Hayasaka Kosei
CRFH Code version 3.2
R+ D&X-- !WB F+ PSL+ U++ IRC BSL++ RPG+++ P+++ I+ E? GN+++ AI+++

Image Shwing!
Hayasaka Kosei
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:31 pm

...I'll say it again.
Ko-chan, you never cease to amuse me.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Hayasaka Kosei on Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:33 pm

Gigafreak wrote:...I'll say it again.

Is it <i>my</i> fault that I'm kawaii, l33t, and naturally proficient in "Fire Shuriken" and "Weapons of Mass Destruction"?

Wait...everyone who can cast Fire Shuriken is proficient in it....
Hayasaka Kosei
CRFH Code version 3.2
R+ D&X-- !WB F+ PSL+ U++ IRC BSL++ RPG+++ P+++ I+ E? GN+++ AI+++

Image Shwing!
Hayasaka Kosei
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:42 pm

Hayasaka Kosei wrote:

Is it <i>my</i> fault that I'm kawaii, l33t, and naturally proficient in "Fire Shuriken" and "Weapons of Mass Destruction"?

Those are faults?
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Klaus Petersen on Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:12 pm

*Pokes GigaFreak in the back with something round and hard*

At this distance, Kevlar won't save you from a .32 of any kind. And a hundred meters will not save you from a modern assault rifle, especially not from the new NATO standard 5.56 caliber. An armed forum is a polite forum. :)

On to something remotely topic-related:

I have heard quite a few people complaining about not having a scanner. I'd like to point out that a basic scanner isn't all that expensive, and a basic scanner may be all you need for scanning lineart. Myself, I have a heavily underused Agfa 1212 USB model, which I purchased for app. 60US$ excl. VAT. A quick visit to the website of a local shop - on the corner of the street where I live - showed them to have HP 2200C scanners in stock, at app. 69 US$ excl. VAT. I realize this is real money, on some scale, but if getting your creation on the web is part of getting the creative pressure out of your system, you should know it's economically doable. You'll need image editing software: as has been pointed out, The GIMP is free. How it compares to PhotoShop is a matter of taste and patience, but you can't beat the price.

As such, I'm not recommending any scanner model mentioned above, I'm just pointing out what the 'barrier' of entry is. You should do your research, and choose an established brand with up-to-date drivers. Don't take a salesman's word for it, scour the web before you enter the shop.

As far as learning to draw is concerned, two things matter: 1) the will and ability to learn and improve, and 2) practice. Whether you have 1) and do 2) are much more relevant points of self-critique than what you think of your own creations. Getting hung up on "I'll never draw like Artist X" is blindness: the styles of the best works of established artists are as personal as their handwriting, and that goes for you too. I'll leave it to others to expand further on this, beyond what has already been written.
Last edited by Klaus Petersen on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Klaus Petersen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:36 pm

And to back up Klaus' statement (above), I bough my scanner years ago with money I earned from a summer spent at a Sea Cadet camp... :)

Hayasaka Kosei wrote:
STEALTHpenguin wrote:...

Dude.

...that's my line.

It might be your line, but I still have a deadly grouping at 300 metres. :D I feel sorry for those paper targets...
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gigafreak on Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:56 pm

She has a railgun. Wait... So do I.
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:45 am

Yes...and harbour a special dislike for them on account of certain...encounters while playing Red Faction. I'll just avoid getting on anyone's bad side...

Though, for the record, I was referring to actual experience during boot camp :P.
Last edited by STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GlitterFey on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:45 am

STEALTHpenguin wrote:Yeah, I'm in the military...the Naval Reserve, to be specific. No, I'm not in intel...at least, not the fancy intel you see in movies. Although there ARE things I can't discuss with most people, most of what I do isn't really classified. Not yet, anyway. I'm still a junior rank, so I don't know anything fancy. I might go for a commission when I get my degree though :wink:

Ah, but movies are not my source of info. My boyfriend has family in the military, past and present enlistments, so I know they can't spill the beans on stuff, sometimes as simple as where they'll be stationed! Though its good to know that they're good at keeping secrets. :D
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:50 am

GlitterFey wrote:
STEALTHpenguin wrote:Yeah, I'm in the military...the Naval Reserve, to be specific. No, I'm not in intel...at least, not the fancy intel you see in movies. Although there ARE things I can't discuss with most people, most of what I do isn't really classified. Not yet, anyway. I'm still a junior rank, so I don't know anything fancy. I might go for a commission when I get my degree though :wink:

Ah, but movies are not my source of info. My boyfriend has family in the military, past and present enlistments, so I know they can't spill the beans on stuff, sometimes as simple as where they'll be stationed! Though its good to know that they're good at keeping secrets. :D

It's good you don't rely on movies and such. You'd be surprised at how many people do. As for stationing, my current locale not by any means secret to anyone. :) Though I did have to return some of my course notes to get shredded.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RJ Shep on Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:39 am

STEALTHpenguin wrote: As for stationing, my current locale not by any means secret to anyone. :) Though I did have to return some of my course notes to get shredded.

Is that Halifax, Nova Scotia?
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:59 am

RJ Shep wrote:
STEALTHpenguin wrote: As for stationing, my current locale not by any means secret to anyone. :) Though I did have to return some of my course notes to get shredded.

Aye, it is. Halifax, Nova Scotia. Home of Canada's Atlantic Fleet.

And I get to go home in two days.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:02 am

Do they fly you home in a military plane? That would be very awesome.
ImageImageImage
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Bunny M on Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:11 am

STEALTHpenguin wrote:
GlitterFey wrote:

It's good you don't rely on movies and such. You'd be surprised at how many people do. As for stationing, my current locale not by any means secret to anyone. :) Though I did have to return some of my course notes to get shredded.

On the topic of movies (especially Hollywood movies) and the military, do any other current/ex-military people out there wince and groan when you see how supposedly military personnel act?

*shudders at some of the scenes from movies*
Hold me now,
Warm my heart,
Stay with me....

Thompson Twins
Bunny M
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:14 am

I suppose it would be fun to fly home via Herc, but I'm taking a commercial airline back. They pay for everything, and it's more convenient. For me, at least. Hell, I also get reimbursed for the half-hour cab ride to the airport. I'm not complaining.

Hey...tomorrow I get my nifty little trade badge (small joy, but a joy nonetheless). :D *happy dance*
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RJ Shep on Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:20 am

STEALTHpenguin wrote:
RJ Shep wrote:

Aye, it is. Halifax, Nova Scotia. Home of Canada's Atlantic Fleet.

And I get to go home in two days.

What is the climate like? How severe are the winters? I'm contemplating emigration...
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:03 pm

In Halifax? I don't know what the winters are like. While I was here, it's been anywhere from raining, really hot and humid, to cool-breeze like. Pretty much anything, as far as I can tell. Except for hot and dry.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Death of Rats on Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:14 pm

RJ Shep wrote:What is the climate like? How severe are the winters? I'm contemplating emigration...

Have you had enough of the climate in Arizona? Or are you more in search for political asylum?
Death of Rats
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GlitterFey on Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:52 pm

I wasn't able to serve myself, though I do wince at scenes in movies. Like, like HELL he'd get away with saying that to his commanding officer! Or, like HELL he'd get away with going off mission like THAT! Ugh. From what I've gathered, part of a unit's effectiveness is to work together, and in combat it is necessary to follow orders with no questions (example: commanding officer says MOVE OUT! You don't ask why, you go. If we stood there arguing about it, we'd all be dead). So where's the discipline in the movies? Rant, rant. Sorry.....
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby RJ Shep on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:43 pm

Death of Rats wrote:
RJ Shep wrote:What is the climate like? How severe are the winters? I'm contemplating emigration...

Have you had enough of the climate in Arizona? Or are you more in search for political asylum?

Climate, out-of control population, and pollution.

I was born and raised here- in 1970 there were 300k people in my town. Now there are 3 million. when you have that many people living in the same place, social structure breaks down due to anonymity. Just this evening, it rained a bit- a very little bit, mind you- and this woman thought it gave her license to drive her damn minivan UP ON THE SIDEWALK in front of the store, all but parking under the awning. Feh! :x

Cocommitant to the population explosion, the air here has become almost unbreatheable. When you fly in to PHX, you can see the brown cloud of crap squatting on the city like a leperous toad. It stinks here some days. Everybody drives everywhere because of the heat and because so spread out.

I've had 30+ years of hot, searing, blastfurnace heat as well.

The primary thing keeping me here, besides lack of funds, is the fact that both sets of my children's grandparents live here, and I do not want to deny them their grandparents while they are growing up.

sorry, rant over... :-?
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

Postby jpmccartney on Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:09 pm

Hayasaka Kosei wrote:

Young teenage girls will never cease to scare the pants off me.

Something inspired the little sister of one of my friends to become a sniper at very young age, and at this point I think she's fifteen years old and a deadly shot. She won second in the state junior sharpshooting competition.

Her brother, on the other hand, recently turned eighteen, and bought himself an AR 15. I can't understand these crazy people.
self-indulgence
only just letting you read what i write in my head
jpmccartney
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fool on Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:55 am

jpmccartney wrote:Young teenage girls will never cease to scare the pants off me.

Is that what you tell the authorities?
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon