(OT) A call to artists.

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:37 am

GlitterFey wrote:I wasn't able to serve myself, though I do wince at scenes in movies. Like, like HELL he'd get away with saying that to his commanding officer! Or, like HELL he'd get away with going off mission like THAT! Ugh. From what I've gathered, part of a unit's effectiveness is to work together, and in combat it is necessary to follow orders with no questions (example: commanding officer says MOVE OUT! You don't ask why, you go. If we stood there arguing about it, we'd all be dead). So where's the discipline in the movies? Rant, rant. Sorry.....

You're certainly correct there, though working together is more that just part of a unit's effectiveness. An example: if one of us was late for something at BRT (Basic Recruit Training, which they've renamed since), the entire platoon of 70 people stayed back and were late with him. Otherwise, they'd be doing pushups until the late party caught up, and likely for some time after s/he joined the rest. One of the many things that promoted teamwork. That, and the staff loved to give pushups....*fond memory: "There's a speck of carbon in your weapon's breech! Get down..." and pushups ensued.* Though it wasn't that extreme unless the inspecting staff member was in a bad mood, which they were wont to be.

Hmmm...off topic much...
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:41 am

RJ Shep wrote:
Death of Rats wrote:
RJ Shep wrote:What is the climate like? How severe are the winters? I'm contemplating emigration...

Have you had enough of the climate in Arizona? Or are you more in search for political asylum?

Climate, out-of control population, and pollution.

I was born and raised here- in 1970 there were 300k people in my town. Now there are 3 million. when you have that many people living in the same place, social structure breaks down due to anonymity. Just this evening, it rained a bit- a very little bit, mind you- and this woman thought it gave her license to drive her damn minivan UP ON THE SIDEWALK in front of the store, all but parking under the awning. Feh! :x

Cocommitant to the population explosion, the air here has become almost unbreatheable. When you fly in to PHX, you can see the brown cloud of crap squatting on the city like a leperous toad. It stinks here some days. Everybody drives everywhere because of the heat and because so spread out.

I've had 30+ years of hot, searing, blastfurnace heat as well.

The primary thing keeping me here, besides lack of funds, is the fact that both sets of my children's grandparents live here, and I do not want to deny them their grandparents while they are growing up.

sorry, rant over... :-?

And the town I went to school in was no more than 4-5 thousand. The wonderful thing about my country...more land than the US, but they can house our entire population in one or two cities. That, and I can see the stars where I live. It's a plus.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jpmccartney on Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:41 am

Fool wrote:
jpmccartney wrote:Young teenage girls will never cease to scare the pants off me.

Is that what you tell the authorities?

Aarrgh!
self-indulgence
only just letting you read what i write in my head
jpmccartney
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Space Cowboy Spike on Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:45 am

But seriously, that teenage girls line took it a step further than even I have gone. And I think that's something. Well, obviously that's saying something. Although it's more like "typing" something in reference to "saying something." Ah who cares, you don't obviously!

::audience is snoring::
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
- Spike
Space Cowboy Spike
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:16 pm

Yes, Fool is a witty one, isn't he?
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Hayasaka Kosei on Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:37 pm

jpmccartney wrote:
Hayasaka Kosei wrote:
Gigafreak wrote:...I'll say it again.
Ko-chan, you never cease to amuse me.

Is it <i>my</i> fault that I'm kawaii, l33t, and naturally proficient in "Fire Shuriken" and "Weapons of Mass Destruction"?

Wait...everyone who can cast Fire Shuriken is proficient in it....

Young teenage girls will never cease to scare the pants off me.

Oy... :o
Hayasaka Kosei
CRFH Code version 3.2
R+ D&X-- !WB F+ PSL+ U++ IRC BSL++ RPG+++ P+++ I+ E? GN+++ AI+++

Image Shwing!
Hayasaka Kosei
Keenspot Despot

Postby Coota on Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:21 pm

As a note going slightly back on topic, writing a webcomic with someone else can work out: I've been doing pretty well with Angels. The only problem was that it took almost a year to get it running. But boy is it running.

And you'd be surprised just how many artists are willing to work for writers. Not everyone can write well enough to write and draw their own comics. A little collaboration goes a long way sometimes.
Coota
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:34 am

Coota wrote:As a note going slightly back on topic, writing a webcomic with someone else can work out: I've been doing pretty well with Angels. The only problem was that it took almost a year to get it running. But boy is it running.

And you'd be surprised just how many artists are willing to work for writers. Not everyone can write well enough to write and draw their own comics. A little collaboration goes a long way sometimes.

Which is pretty much why I volunteered for it all. After all, the only story that I figure I'll use when I make my own comic will take a lot of research, and I don't quite have much time for that right now. Besides, drawing for a comic is fun. :D
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:18 pm

School starts on Tuesday. *grumble*

Does anyone have scanning tips? I seem to be having problems scanning my "black and white" images properly. Damn thing.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Coota on Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:29 pm

Hmmm... maybe I should start recruiting artists again, for my other projects. I mean, Angels pretty much shows that my ideas work pretty well. Anyone interested in a story about a bunch of space marines in huge mecha suits? I swear it's not as cliche as it sounds. Actually, *all* my ideas sound really cliche, but aren't. Really! I believe in bringing the good out of regularly cliche things.

My favorite idea, though, is a buddy comedy about two college dropouts who steal a C-130 and become gunrunners.
Coota
Keenspot Despot

Postby Space Cowboy Spike on Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:32 pm

Coota wrote:Hmmm... maybe I should start recruiting artists again, for my other projects. I mean, Angels pretty much shows that my ideas work pretty well. Anyone interested in a story about a bunch of space marines in huge mecha suits? I swear it's not as cliche as it sounds. Actually, *all* my ideas sound really cliche, but aren't. Really! I believe in bringing the good out of regularly cliche things.

My favorite idea, though, is a buddy comedy about two college dropouts who steal a C-130 and become gunrunners.

Sweeeeeeeet. My dad works on Contracts for the C-130 at Boeing...he'd get a real kick out of that! :o
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
- Spike
Space Cowboy Spike
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Avalon