(OT) A call to artists.

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

(OT) A call to artists.

Postby Strangeone on Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:19 pm

Hi, everyone. I know I haven't been around on this board as much as I'd like to have been for a while, but I'm trying to make a comeback.

--------------------------------------

Anyway, as you might tell from the title of the thread, I'm looking for an artist to help me out. I've got an idea for a webcomic, and I think I have decent enough writing ability in order to pull off at least 1 page size per week. What I DON'T have, are the following:

1. Drawing talent of any sort.
2. A scanner.
3. Skill in HTML.

In other words, I can write the script, but that's about all I'm capable of. I'm looking for an artist capable of drawing in a fairly dramatic style, and who hopefully has the ability to help maintain a webpage on Keenspace.

If there are any artists interested at all in helping me in making this comic, please either post a response here or send me a private message. I'll try to respond back with a description of the comic and allow everyone a chance to ponder it over before anything else is done. Thank you for your time.
"Strangeone has the tact of Godzilla."
--Maritza Campos, #crfh
Winner--Most Sarcastic Boardie, 2004 Boardie Awards.
Runner-Up--Best Speculator (not necessarily most accurate), 2004 Boardie Awards
Strangeone
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Strangeone on Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:58 pm

Hey, let's not have everyone apply at once, here. :-? :P
--Maritza Campos, #crfh
Strangeone
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darth Paradox on Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:32 am

If I had the time, I would. But I'm working on Scatterplot and my Avalon series, and I have plans for another webcomic soon, and I'm headed back to college...
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby Hai-Etlik on Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:19 pm

Sanna wrote:^_^ good luck, strangeone. Writers are soooo much easier to find than artists. Writing is easy. Anyone can describe a messy room. 'There is a messy room'.

Writing as a mear action may not be that hard but producing somthing that somone else will find worth reading is. I can't draw OR write (At least not fiction). I still try to draw sometimes (mostly inspired by the forum's periodical "How do I learn to draw?" threads) but the results are not encouraging, even with enhancemment in GIMP.
Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Strangeone on Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:40 pm

Well, I've found an artist who will hopefully help me out. It'll still be a few weeks before Keenspace gets off its ass and sets up the account, though. :wink:

And for the record, I can write fiction fairly well. However, I suck at drawing, and have no time to teach myself the necessary skill.
--Maritza Campos, #crfh
Strangeone
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:30 pm

Wow. It would seem that I'm a rather backwards person. I've got the drawing ski11z (but am constantly working on getting better), but I can't think of a decent plot...well, maybe I can, but I have a pretty nasty case of writer's block.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Hayasaka Kosei on Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:34 pm

STEALTHpenguin wrote:Wow. It would seem that I'm a rather backwards person. I've got the drawing ski11z (but am constantly working on getting better), but I can't think of a decent plot...well, maybe I can, but I have a pretty nasty case of writer's block.

I have mediocore skillz, and no scanner. *sigh* Woe is Kochan.
Hayasaka Kosei
CRFH Code version 3.2
R+ D&X-- !WB F+ PSL+ U++ IRC BSL++ RPG+++ P+++ I+ E? GN+++ AI+++

Image Shwing!
Hayasaka Kosei
Keenspot Despot

Postby jpmccartney on Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:39 pm

Ha, I tried that exactly a year ago - being the artist for other writers, for a webcomic. We got sixteen strips, (roughly Megatokyo size and shape) at the rate of three strips a week. Then two, then one, then one every two weeks, then I finished the sixteenth one after a month. Then I lost two friends. :-?

If you can't do everything you need, be VERY wary of who you're working with. I know my friends are still totally CRUSHED that they'll never get their ideas off the ground the way they'd like. I'm not very happy with having to back down from a project, but I'm less happy that I even started it, knowing I couldn't finish it.

Make sure your artist will be dedicated.
self-indulgence
only just letting you read what i write in my head
jpmccartney
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:35 pm

jpmccartney wrote:Ha, I tried that exactly a year ago - being the artist for other writers, for a webcomic. We got sixteen strips, (roughly Megatokyo size and shape) at the rate of three strips a week. Then two, then one, then one every two weeks, then I finished the sixteenth one after a month. Then I lost two friends. :-?

If you can't do everything you need, be VERY wary of who you're working with. I know my friends are still totally CRUSHED that they'll never get their ideas off the ground the way they'd like. I'm not very happy with having to back down from a project, but I'm less happy that I even started it, knowing I couldn't finish it.

Make sure your artist will be dedicated.

That's precisely why I didn't volunteer.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:22 am

Indeed, dedication is very important. I'm sure I can find some of it under my bed if I look hard enough. Though taking into account my school schedule and work might be important...don't want to end up as hard-pressed as Fred Gallagher...

And come to think of it...I need to replace my scanner... :-?
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:59 am

Sanna wrote:jpmccartney makes a good stinking point. I'm lucky Spats figured out she couldn't handle it BEFORE we got really started. (myself, I'm only 1/4 done with the plot! meepsy....)

I could even deal with a change in artist midstream if a) i were to be given enough time and b) i could reasonably mimic the style of the charactors.
See, that was another problem, too; i'm relatively picky about what i want certain people to look like, and others can be 'just whatever'. I'd need an artist who wouldn't mind being told 'this, this, and that aren't quite right, can you do it over?'

even having said that...
StealthPenguin, wanna audition for Silicon Cherry? ^_^

hey, the worst you can say is no...... ^_^

I'd be happy to audition for Silicon Cherry...just give me the 5W's and I'll get to it. Though I can't submit anything until I get back home on Friday (AUG 30). However...I can draw it up while I'm on base... :)

On another note, does anyone know of good references (either books, web sites, etc.) on Japanese culture around 0-1000 AD? Anything in or around that era is good. I need a lot of history to make a believable plot here...and I like accuracy. Though it's hard to be accurate since I don't know the exact era I need (still working out the basics), but I'll accept pretty much anything.

PS: I can't use any references that are actually WRITTEN in Japanese YET, so English ones would be preferable.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:58 am

Oh, I'd also like to know what I'm getting myself into :D
Though I doubt it'll affect my previously stated response.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jpmccartney on Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:54 pm

The situation I described is only my worst, not my only. I obviously can't learn from my own mistakes, but at least I don't inflict them on other people anymore.

I should probably get a Keenspace account and post all the sad aborted comics that I never got off the ground. That would be about six or seven first chapters, all unfinished.

Anyway, good luck Sanna, StealthPenguin and Strangeone, and anyone else that may be working on something creative. Godspeed, and may you always go gracefully when you need to duck out of a project. :D
self-indulgence
only just letting you read what i write in my head
jpmccartney
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GlitterFey on Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:52 pm

I've been kind of interested in doing a web comic, but my html skills are not up to par. Does anyone know how hard it is do work a keenspot space, and how does one get one?
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby GlitterFey on Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:02 pm

STEALTHpenguin wrote:I'd be happy to audition for Silicon Cherry...just give me the 5W's and I'll get to it. Though I can't submit anything until I get back home on Friday (AUG 30). However...I can draw it up while I'm on base... :)

On another note, does anyone know of good references (either books, web sites, etc.) on Japanese culture around 0-1000 AD? Anything in or around that era is good. I need a lot of history to make a believable plot here...and I like accuracy. Though it's hard to be accurate since I don't know the exact era I need (still working out the basics), but I'll accept pretty much anything.

PS: I can't use any references that are actually WRITTEN in Japanese YET, so English ones would be preferable.

Now, you do realize that you now have to share art with the rest of us as well? If you don't know how, go ask Packy. =)
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby Vincent Valentine on Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:14 pm

I too am versed in the ways of HTML, CSS and PHP [and I muck around with Javascript, but as little as possible]. Never wrote a tutorial, but that's just because I don't like to help people. But anyway, I offer my services for sale or barter as well... Can't let a monopoly take hold.

E. Go: valentine@wpi.edu
----------
EGoISM :: someday i'll get it straight
----------
The celebration ends without a sound. And the friends, they're not around. And you find you're all alone, talking to yourself again... [Flickerstick, "Coke"]
Vincent Valentine
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aeire on Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:31 am

Sanna wrote:keenspot: you go to sign up for a space, they ask you for a lot of 'personal' information. As I recall, real name, address, etc. It takes them 6-8 weeks to set up your subdomain. Then there's a page explaining the upload and display procedures, and the ***tags***.

That would be KeenSPACE, not KeenSPOT. There's a difference between the two. Keenspace is open to everyone who wants to apply - Keenspot you either have to be hand-picked or apply for, and you have to have some really *good* strips, a big archive, and a semi-established readership. And they have to like your stuff. *g* Little bit different.
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby GlitterFey on Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:43 am

ahhh... I was wondering last night what the difference was... =)
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:56 am

GlitterFey wrote:Now, you do realize that you now have to share art with the rest of us as well? If you don't know how, go ask Packy. =)

Sharing art, hmm? Sad to say, I can't do that at the moment, as I AM living on a naval base. But that's just until the end of the week :D. I'm sure I'll have something to share once I get home.
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GlitterFey on Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:17 pm

well, keenSPACE it is then. :D
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby STEALTHpenguin on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:45 am

Indeedy :D
STEALTHpenguin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GlitterFey on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:48 am

STEALTHpenguin wrote:
GlitterFey wrote:Now, you do realize that you now have to share art with the rest of us as well? If you don't know how, go ask Packy. =)

Sharing art, hmm? Sad to say, I can't do that at the moment, as I AM living on a naval base. But that's just until the end of the week :D. I'm sure I'll have something to share once I get home.

so are you in the armed forces, and if yes, full time or reserve? I won't ask anything more personal because I realize you probably can't tell me (at least, not if you're intel!). =)
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Avalon