Avalon nostalgy thread

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Avalon nostalgy thread

Postby tappel on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 am

I just recently reread Avalon a couple of times for old times' sake, as the reference on Dumbing of Age had reminded me of the comic.

I thought I'd check if someone has posted a link to David's strip to the Avalon forum, only to find out that the forum had been locked because of spam.

Thinking about it a bit, I came to the conclusion that even though there used to be an active community of Avalon fans in the past, there's probably no reason to reopen the forum unless something extremely unexpected happens. But there might still be some occasional demand for Avalon-related discussion.

While reading Avalon after all these years I was surprised how good it was. Many times when I've reread books or comics I was obsessed about when I was younger, I have been disappointed. Not this time. Avalon is not perfect but there are a lot of good things about it. The pacing is good, and the characters and the dialogue are very well written. Even the humor still works; I actually laughed out loud a few times.

So, let's reminisce Avalon in this thread. Also, if someone has something Avalon-related to tell or show, you've come to the right place.

Also, if anyone is still in touch with Josh, please tell him my best wishes. I never knew him personally, but he's still the author of one of my all time favourite comics.

I think I first found Avalon through BigPanda in the very early days (four weeks in or thereabouts, when the comic was still hosted on ceilidh.dhs.org).

How did you find it?

--
Tapio Peltonen
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Avalon nostalgy thread

Postby Kisai on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

It's possible to re-open the forum if some legitimate use will come of it. Unfortunately since Avalon is near the top of the list alphabetically, it's also the first forum to be hit with waves of spam while open. So I've generally just locked forums after several months of inactivity to reduce the maintenance.

The site itself is still available at http://www.avalonhigh.com , Josh also had another comic (it only has 4 pages, at http://www.twoeighty.ca/ )
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Re: Avalon nostalgy thread

Postby tappel on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

There were at least two others that had a name, although to my knowledge they have both vanished from the net. Maybe they could be reached through archive.org, I don't know. One was Cartoon University, which was for Carleton University's student newspaper, the other was the one with the girl with wings, I think it was called Heaven Down.

Packy's Avalon fanart gallery is still online at http://itsfanart.com/gallery/index.php/avalon
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Keenspot Central