What Comic/Manga/Graphic Novel are you reading now?

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

What Comic/Manga/Graphic Novel are you reading now?

Postby vaneesa on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 am

like the title says. What are you reading now. And try to write something about it. So other people who are curious know why they should read it too. Try to avoid specifics though if possible.

I'm reading Negima right now. Specifically Volume 16. It's hitting the climax of the biggest storyline yet, so awesomeness is to be expected. My favorite aspect about it is that Negi gets minimal screen time. The focus here is on all the girls helping him. It gives a nice chance to show just how awesome they are. Also, It has the largest scale battle yet. In every aspect of the word.

Another thing I like. The cover is edited. This alone isn't particularly desirable, but considering how one of the girls on it was dressed, it's understandable. What's cool is that right inside the cover, it has the original image, in full color. With none of the text from the cover. So even though it's edited, they do let you see the original.
vaneesa
Junior Keenspotter

Re: What Comic/Manga/Graphic Novel are you reading now?

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 am

Hmmm... I haven't been reading any comics besides Naruto and Bleach.

A few months ago though I found a Manga called Nickelodeon, but I stopped reading after 5 or 6 chapters cuz it was making me feel weird... I don't really understand that Manga at all.
spoonyliger
Junior Keenspotter

Re: What Comic/Manga/Graphic Novel are you reading now?

Postby tappel on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 am

The last manga I've bought is Moto Hagio's A Drunken Dream and Other Stories, which has a selection of her short stories from four decades. I can recommend it highly. Only very few shôjo titles get translated and even fewer short stories, let alone classics like these.

The stories are quite melancholic, occasionally even sad, and the humor is often subtle. The stories range from simple to complex; the art is beautifully drawn; the characters have depth to their personalities. Settings range from mundane to fantastic to science fiction.

The compilation includes an introduction to the loosely defined Magnificent Forty-Niners group of women who revolutionized the Japanese girls' comics scene in the late 60s and early 70s, as well as an interview of the author, both by the leading English-speaking expert of the field, Matt Thorn, who also translated the stories.

I recommend this for everyone, but it's definitely a challenging book, and it's more rewarding to read the stories after reading the introduction and the interview.
tappel
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Keenspot Central