Hey, I'm being published!!!

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Hey, I'm being published!!!

Postby TheDeeMan on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 am

My partner Monique MacNaughton and I have negotiated a book deal with Anthony Coe, publisher of the independent small press book publisher First Run Publishing, to collect and publish our first webcomic, the 50's style alien invasion adventure "GAAK" as a graphic novel.

First Run Publishing will be releasing the GAAK graphic novel into bookstores in September. Pretty cool, huh?

G.A.A.K
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/gaak/series.php

First Run Publishing
www.firstrunpublishing.com
THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem ... series.php
TheDeeMan
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Hey, I'm being published!!!

Postby ShardZ on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:36 am

Congratulations! Definitely an inspiration to the other webcomickers out there!

Here's hoping your other works can go the same way! (I'm sure it helps that GAAK was so polished to begin with, and being an earlier work any publisher would expect as-good-if-not-better quality and/or returns from your later works.)
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers and eldritch vapors.

Postby TheDeeMan on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 pm

Sorry it took so long to answer. They really should send out topic reply emails.

But this has been a very good year for Monique and me. GAAK is actually the SECOND project to find a publisher. In march, shortly before GAAK found it's publisher, our steampunk mystery/adventure comic "The Continentals" signed with Gary Reed and Transfuzion Publishing to be put out staring inearly 2011 as a series of trades and finally a complete GN. If you don't know, Gary Reed used to be the publisher of Caliber Comics.

So yeah, after years of struggling to get our projects noticed by pblishers, 2010 seems to be the year they finally opened their eyes and took notice. :)

You can read more about The Continentals and Transfuzion Publishing here:

The Continentals at Transfuzion Publishing
http://www.transfuzion.biz/TITLES/TheContinentals.htm

Dee
THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
TheDeeMan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 am

That's great! I'll have to check out The Continentals... the preview pages Transfuzion posted are great hooks. I can tell you mixed drama and comedy just as well as with GAAK. For example, it's a serious setting (rather gory murder mystery) but the chief (?) of Scotland Yard flubbing his words when he got flustered cracked me up.

Nevertheless, best of luck to you both!

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TheDeeMan on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks. :)

And let me know what you think of the comic once you've read it.

Dee
TheDeeMan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 am

Hey, DeeMan!

Just wanted to say that I read The Continentals (better late than never, right?) and it's very nice!

I can see how the clear lines and stark black-and-white contrast would transfer well to printed format. Visually it seems darker and heavier than, say, GAAK (which fits the mood) but with lots of lighter textures. Stuff like the dappled horses first caught my eye, and helped me watch out for stuff like clothing textures later on. And did I spot the occasional scanned (or whatever you'd call it) image in the background paintings/daguerrotypes? Very nice touches!

I love the personalities of the characters, and while I've never seen The Avengers, I'm guessing that influenced Fizziwig's blunt sarcasm contrasting with Smythe's calmer, dry wit? It's fun to watch them play off each other. I was almost expecting a page of reaction to letting a woman--even a crossdressing woman--into a criminal asylum, but I suppose the reaction of the police upon her first appearance sums it up, not to mention that even the asylum had female nurses who had apparently been trained to be calm under pressure.

So, congratulations on your various accomplishments! You and Monique have definitely earned them!

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TheDeeMan on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:49 am

ShardZ wrote:Hey, DeeMan!

Just wanted to say that I read The Continentals (better late than never, right?) and it's very nice!

I can see how the clear lines and stark black-and-white contrast would transfer well to printed format. Visually it seems darker and heavier than, say, GAAK (which fits the mood) but with lots of lighter textures. Stuff like the dappled horses first caught my eye, and helped me watch out for stuff like clothing textures later on. And did I spot the occasional scanned (or whatever you'd call it) image in the background paintings/daguerrotypes? Very nice touches!

I love the personalities of the characters, and while I've never seen The Avengers, I'm guessing that influenced Fizziwig's blunt sarcasm contrasting with Smythe's calmer, dry wit? It's fun to watch them play off each other. I was almost expecting a page of reaction to letting a woman--even a crossdressing woman--into a criminal asylum, but I suppose the reaction of the police upon her first appearance sums it up, not to mention that even the asylum had female nurses who had apparently been trained to be calm under pressure.

So, congratulations on your various accomplishments! You and Monique have definitely earned them!

Thanks. Glad you liked it. :)

Yup, Monique did indeed use some scanned images for some of the wall pictures. And yes, The Avengers was a HUGE influence on The Continentals. Even that god awful movie which is a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

Just so as not to be lazy (LOL!) I have a new comic coming out on monday (Oct 4th) with former Keenspotter Tiffany "Alien Dice" Ross. It's called "Chevalier: The Queen's Mouseketeer". If I had to describe it I'd say "it's The Princess Bride meets the Lord of the Rings in a Disney/Pixar film written in Dr. Seuss rhyme starring a mouse". We have some character designs up now. But like I said the comic itself starts on monday. I hope you'll come and check that one out as well. :)

Dee

http://www.shivae.net/chevalier
TheDeeMan
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Keenspot Central