Infected ad

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Infected ad

Postby damp_dave on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 am

Well, I finally got hit. As I loaded Poisoned Minds this morning, my system slowed down and then I started getting non-browser windows popping up, claiming to run "Antivirus XP 2010". A little quick Google search confirmed what I suspected; it's a virus that is pretending to be an anti-virus program.

Time to beat up on the ad servers again--tell them that malware is not acceptable advertising!

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Infected ad

Postby Canterrain on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi dd.

First I'd like to give my heartfelt apologies that you got hit with a bad ad complete with virus. I hope you were able to avoid damage to your computer.

There's been a few other reports out there, and I'm already on it personally trying to track it down with little luck yet. (Note, I'm not a keenspot staffer, but Xyliatales uses some of the same networks, and this is part of my job at Xyliatales anyways, so knowing what goes on here benefits us, and hopefully visa versa)

What may be helpful is if you can state what you saw before everything started going haywire. Anything in the ad spaces that was out of place.

There are tools you can use to track down where such an ad is coming from (like firebug) but it takes a certain amount of technical knowhow.

I have noticed with a trend on adsdaq that malware tends to happen most on the weekends. This is most likely because Adsdaq keeps less staff on hand during the weekend and they can 'get away' with more before being caught, perhaps even turning the malware off once the week starts.

But I think enough people have been hit by it there's quite a few of us trying to track it down, and hopefully we can take care of it for you.

As always, the more information you can provide the easier it will be to find the culprit and give them the axe.

Thanks for keeping it polite though and your understanding!
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby damp_dave on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Sorry, the pop-ups distracted me and I pretty much instantly forgot what ad started to show up before they popped up. I will try to keep track of things better the next time it happens.

Fortunately, that "anti virus" virus is relatively benign and not that hard to kill off.

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Canterrain on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Eventually a malicious ad was found on burst under basically the name of ireland travel. Burst promises that they've disabled it (though I advise any publishers to go through and make sure it's not there and running anyway)... so hopefully that should take care of malicious ads for the moment.

Autoplay ads seem to be the problem now, and my current suspicion is these are mostly coming from 3rd party feeds on networks. I have these disabled on Xylia and I'm unaware of any complaints, but I see other keenspotters reporting them.
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Keenspot Central