The SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Accepting Applications

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

The SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Accepting Applications

Postby KEZ on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:21 pm

SpiderForest is a webcomic collective that's been around since about 2003. I have been a member since 2006. As far as hosts go, I love it, it's awesome, or I wouldn't be there still--and believe me, I've either hosted my own comics or been a webmaster on just about every free host out there.

SF is accepting applications for new members up until July 24th.
I know a lot of people are not keen on the whole "application" thing, and I won't spend too much time defending it except to say that if you are too nervous to even send one in and take your chance, you'll never know if you could have GOTTEN in. We have applications so that all our members may review and vote on the comics up for entry. It is our members who decide who gets in, not an admin or owner. We only have them twice yearly because our members spend a heck of a lot of time going through archives and discussing the applications. It's time consuming, and we like to take good care of the baby spiderforesters.

As a member, you have only 3 requirements: update your comic, help vote in new members, display the SF rotating banner above the fold on your site. There are NO mandatory ads, the hosting is FREE (we don't say no to donations however!), and everyone is pretty friendly. You can use whatever archival software you like, and we even have our own PHP-based system called proPanda.

What we are NOT is a business. Have no fear of us pulling a Keenspot. We are also not your de facto webmaster. Those uncomfortable with basic HTML may be more suited to places like Drunkduck or Smackjeeves. Don't get me wrong, we help with coding issues, but we don't update your site for you, nor do we provide you with templates or a web-based file upload system.

We are looking for people with good comics who want to become part of a community interested in building each other up. Yes, yes, good is relative, which is why we do the whole voting thing. If you're wondering if your comic would fit with us, I suggest you check out what comics are currently at SF: http://spiderforest.com/?p=browse

(tl;dr?)Finally, to apply, here's the page with all the info! http://spiderforest.net/apply

If there are any questions, I would be happy to answer. Post, PM or email at warofwinds AT gmail.com
Last edited by KEZ on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of the Xylia Team
ImageImageImage
KEZ
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Accepting Applications

Postby macclint on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:37 am

How appropriate this post is now, with half or more of Keenspot dispersed to the winds...
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby TheDeeMan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 am

Yeah, I only heard about that when I played catch up on Wandering Ones and you linked to "the letter".

I feel sorry for you guys and hope everything works out for you.

Dee
THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem ... series.php
TheDeeMan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Metruis on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 pm

No kidding, hey? It's sad to see so much of Keenspot scattered... just a couple years ago I'd read nearly every comic on the site and it was where I looked for great comics. Keenspot was the high end of webcomics that every new webcomic creator probably dreamed about attaining. Now, well, I can't say I'm disappointed I never applied.

The Wandering Ones was a comic I read prior to the Keenspot craziness and I'll continue to drop by wherever it goes, just like Sorcery 101, Goblins, Darken, and all the ones with fates still up in the air. And the ones that remain hosted here I'll still read. A comic, after all, is not its host.

But I must echo Deeman and say I really hope it works out for the best over at The Wandering Ones.
Metruis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Metruis on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:31 pm

It might have been a spambot bump but it's spot on and right on time. Spiderforest is currently, for the month of July, open for new applications. 8)
Metruis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby KEZ on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Metruis wrote:It might have been a spambot bump but it's spot on and right on time. Spiderforest is currently, for the month of July, open for new applications. 8)

Hmm, irony or serendipity? You decide!
Part of the Xylia Team
ImageImageImage
KEZ
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Keenspot Central