Report serious forum problems here

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Re: Report serious forum problems here

Postby Arantor on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 am

Kisai wrote:Yes but the problem is how the web browser interprets it. When a web browser comes to a table with out fixed widths, it stops the entire processing of the page until the contents of the table have been determined.

That's not strictly true... if the table has been set up with the appropriate <THEAD> and <TBODY> sections if it's compliant with the standards it can render the top and bottom and progressively load as more information becomes available. It's definitely in the HTML specifications from HTML 4.

IE used to support this (not sure if IE7) does, and I'm sure FF supports this too.

Just my $0.02
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:05 am

Arantor wrote:
Kisai wrote:Yes but the problem is how the web browser interprets it. When a web browser comes to a table with out fixed widths, it stops the entire processing of the page until the contents of the table have been determined.

That's not strictly true... if the table has been set up with the appropriate <THEAD> and <TBODY> sections if it's compliant with the standards it can render the top and bottom and progressively load as more information becomes available. It's definitely in the HTML specifications from HTML 4.

IE used to support this (not sure if IE7) does, and I'm sure FF supports this too.

Just my $0.02

The problem is, to use this in a sig without knowing the fixed sizes first, makes it impossible. If I said "here you have a sig of 3 columns wide and 2 high, each 30 pixels high and 200 wide" then the browser would render it that way. But without the fixed sizes it will just mess up the non-table versions of the forum styles. So no, no tables in sigs. If someone truly wants a lot of details, they can stick it in one image. It would be better to simply have one link that goes to that information than spamming everyone with it. Fortunately there is apparently a sig-turn-off feature somewhere.
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Arantor on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:02 am

There is something up with the Locus subforum, as I originally reported in the Locus forum itself here - I know it's not a serious problem but I didn't know where else to post this.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:41 am

...Doesn't that just mean the browser failed to load the New Posts icon? I would think a simple refresh would fix it...
Image Image Image Image
Fire pentacle from xtremepyro; resized by Tyris
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Arantor on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 am

4 different browsers, two different machines - the problem appears to be that it's trying to load an image that *none* of the other forums are trying to, which doesn't exist. For reasons unknown and differently to every other subforum, it's linking to Chris%20Crosby next to the active posts icon (regardless of whether there are new posts or not)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby spacetreephpBBkeen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Well I found no serious problem worthy to contend with but I'm a fighter by profession. No Warrior at this table will dare to fight me while I'm still alive! That's precisely Why they are all trying to kill me!
Get it! ??? :oops: :D
spacetreephpBBkeen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby spacetreephpBBkeen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm

It certainly is a comple issue demading a fine solution which simply put so that even a child could understand, is boo hoo who was that girl runing after me...?
spacetreephpBBkeen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby spacetreephpBBkeen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:57 pm

May I be the First to Wish Everyone a Happy New Yeay and a Properous Lifegiving journey though another hundred months of days and years since we met face to face, God it's so lonely without YOU!
spacetreephpBBkeen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby spacetreephpBBkeen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi for God's sake dont close the forum or shut down the servers without contacting me first. I'm wondering where to spend all my money and money is time you know.

Consider Apple Iphone Safari can't play a uTube implant

Firefox would be welcome on that pad!
spacetreephpBBkeen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Arantor on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:22 pm

The user control panel is unavailable at the moment - every attempt to visit it results in a MySQL error 28 (error code 1030) which means something's strongly amiss with the database.

Edit: appeared to be OK earlier on today. I gather other phpBB forums have actually had similar troubles too.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am

I took 5 minutes and moved mysql database to the larger drive on the server, in case anyone tried to post at exactly 10:40AM to 10:45AM today.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby anti-paragon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 am

I'm getting told people are having their logins denied today, stating they have 'reached thier maximum for logging in'. It seems to only effect those who log in conventionally as people who autolog are unaffected. It's starting to get ramped.
anti-paragon
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:29 pm

anti-paragon wrote:I'm getting told people are having their logins denied today, stating they have 'reached thier maximum for logging in'. It seems to only effect those who log in conventionally as people who autolog are unaffected. It's starting to get ramped.

Some user discussion on the subject is happening over here.
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kisai on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 am

It's likely a bot trying to dictionary attack

It didn't help that phpbb.com's passwords were stolen and someone made a dictionary form it: http://www.whatsmypass.com/?p=415
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Canterrain on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:10 pm

This isn't a serious problem so much as a weird one.

For some reason Keenspot Central is always marked as having new posts, even when it doesn't. The only way I've found to fix it is to hit the 'mark all posts read' button. Then, a new post will come in... and I'll view it, read it... and the forum will still be marked as having new posts after until I hit the 'mark all posts read'.

I just updated to the latest version of firefox, but this has been going on since the version before (I always use the latest official release of firefox).
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Good memories aren't worth anything.

Postby Thy Brilliance on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:24 pm

This Dominic Deegan board will be taken down on December 1, 2009. It was left up solely as a courtesy to Mookie. Since he no longer uses it, there is no point in it remaining.

Now, I don't particularly care about this forum closing, although I can't see how closing it would be a decision beneficial to keenspot's revenue, but I am still curious about how you became aware that he longer uses it, without Mookie telling you himself.

Mind explaining?
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Canterrain on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Mookie has oft commented on a certain distaste for forums. He even says as much when he himself posted about the closing of the keenspot forum. That quote goes like this:

"Truth be told, I have an aversion to internet forums in general. For any reason, for any website, for anything, I get a tiny dose of anxiety whenever I click the "Forums" button. Sometimes I feel like a boxing glove is going to fly out of my monitor and punch me. I just get this constant vibe of negativity, whether it's forums for a TV show, a video game, comic book or webcomic. Sometimes they are very useful sources of information, but I just always get overwhelmed by the arguing and/or complaints."

There's also the fact that his very last post in these forums appears to have been in late 2007 and that his site doesn't even link the keenspot forum.
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Curiosity was always my downfall.

Postby Thy Brilliance on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 pm

As much as I'd love taking that out of context quote seriously, seeing as he has other forums dedicated to his comic, I doubt those are his feelings currently.

And many webcomic authors don't ever post in their forums and some rarely post there.

All I'm asking is why this decision was made all of the sudden?

When as you said, it could have been made in 2007.

Am I to assume the admins constantly check if webcomics link to the keenspot forum?
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SevenWorlds on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:45 am

I have to say Canterrain, that in the very same post that you quoted, Mookie wrote that he deleted the link to the forum because Keenspot said they were deleting the forum, so you must know you're talking bullsh*t.

Which brings us to a very real point: Why are the DD forums being deleted?

Surely you could actually tell us the reasoning before you pull the plug.

I'm going to make a thread for this, but delete it if you're going to answer here.
Lycanthromancer : "we will just have confusion. Though chaos may 'Rock your SevenWorlds,' "
Nocturn : "That was so hot, Seven."
Pseudonym : "Hey, that's my sig! I had it first! :evil: "
SevenWorlds
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kisai on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Canterrain wrote:This isn't a serious problem so much as a weird one.

For some reason Keenspot Central is always marked as having new posts, even when it doesn't. The only way I've found to fix it is to hit the 'mark all posts read' button. Then, a new post will come in... and I'll view it, read it... and the forum will still be marked as having new posts after until I hit the 'mark all posts read'.

I just updated to the latest version of firefox, but this has been going on since the version before (I always use the latest official release of firefox).

That's because the spam is not visible.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Giegue on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:32 am

Kisai wrote:

Are you referring to the spam from Obsidian_Stray or did a spambot come in? If the latter is true, that took a long time to post. If the former is true, that's a really thinly-veiled attempt to ignore the other questions.
Kisai wrote:Please keep the DD forum material in the DD forum and leave the rest of the forums alone please.
Giegue
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:08 am

Giegue wrote:
Kisai wrote:

Are you referring to the spam from Obsidian_Stray or did a spambot come in? If the latter is true, that took a long time to post. If the former is true, that's a really thinly-veiled attempt to ignore the other questions.

Literately, you don't see the 50 posts of spam that take up the entire lenght of the forum. There's dozens per day. I just wait and then delete the user with all their posts and ban the ip after a while. Usually gets rid of 100's of posts at once.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Giegue on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:29 pm

All right then, thank you for the explanation, I just have never encountered the spam on the times when I've been on. Also recent events have kept the tension high.
Kisai wrote:Please keep the DD forum material in the DD forum and leave the rest of the forums alone please.
Giegue
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Anquis on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 am

Hi, on my original account I went over the maximum amount of logins and now I cannot get back into my account.

When I go to the proper page, the activation code picture is missing thus making it impossible to get into my account.
Anquis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 am

I've updated PHPBB to the latest version and fixed (or "unbroken") a few features.
1. The version of PHP is updated, templates have been reverted and updated.
2. This means the advertisements appear only on content pages, and the banner appears on all pages.
3. The account creation Captcha should work 100% of the time now, if it doesn't, use a standards compliant web browser with no plugins enabled.
4. URL limit in a post is 2, blame the spammers and people trolling the forums. You brought it upon yourself.
5. There are known issues with Google Chrome losing session data, this problem is specific to phpBB3 and Chrome, if you are not able to stay logged in, use firefox instead. Please use only the newest release of Firefox, old versions also have the session loss problem.
6. Flood interval is 30 seconds. This isn't twitter.
7. Bump limit is 10 days, this setting is primarily to prevent spam from bumping topics.
8. Nested quote limit is 3, again this is due to use abuse, as quote pyramids tend to crash people running older browsers.
9. Note, you can use flash bbcode, however if this is abused, the feature will be removed.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Keenspot Central