Report serious forum problems here

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Report serious forum problems here

Postby Kisai on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 am

Hello everyone,

This is a new thread to replace the 5 year old "report latest forum disasters" thread.

Report SPAM, using the Triangle ! button, but not here. The moderator of the forum can deal with it. If the forum doesn't appear to be moderated then come here and report that there are no active moderators.

Otherwise individual forum moderators are responsible for policing the activities in their forums.

The server that the forums are on may be moved due to increased or decreased traffic. This is not a bug, if such a case presents itself there will not be any warning and the forums will simply be deactivated during the move to prevent out of sync messages and reduce the opportunity for spam.

-Known bugs in phpBB3 that I can not do anything about:
- Occasionally firefox tries to 'download' when you click something.
- Some kind of logic bug exists where it's possible for a malicious user to PM everyone with only one message, this also exists in phpBB2 and can't be reproduced, but generates a lot of "get me the **** off your list!" profane messages to the forums email address. The only solution to this is to disable PM's entirely, which is not desired.

If you find any other bugs please report them.
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Re: Report serious forum problems here

Postby bunnyThor on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:07 am

Kisai wrote:Report SPAM, using the Triangle ! button, but not here. The moderator of the forum can deal with it. If the forum doesn't appear to be moderated then come here and report that there are no active moderators.

Can we safely assume that all the forums (except Schlock, Deegan, and Elf Life) in the "Classic Keenspot (Comics That Ended, Went on Indefinite Hiatus, or Left)" section are not actively moderated?
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kisai on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:31 pm

bunnyThor wrote:
Kisai wrote:Report SPAM, using the Triangle ! button, but not here. The moderator of the forum can deal with it. If the forum doesn't appear to be moderated then come here and report that there are no active moderators.

Can we safely assume that all the forums (except Schlock, Deegan, and Elf Life) in the "Classic Keenspot (Comics That Ended, Went on Indefinite Hiatus, or Left)" section are not actively moderated?

If they aren't actively moderated and just being a spam magnet I could lock them. A global moderator can view all moderation requests, but that requires actually checking, and as far as I know there are no global moderators.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby bunnyThor on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:35 am

Kisai wrote:
bunnyThor wrote:

If they aren't actively moderated and just being a spam magnet I could lock them.

Eek! Don't do that! :o

Just because they are not being actively moderated doesn't mean they aren't be used. Often time it's one of the only places that the comics lingering fanbase can get together and discuss the comic. And sometimes the comic does rise from the dead as well, or the comic is an active comic with a more popular forum, and the Keen forum is used as an emergency back-up forum for when troubles occur with the main.

And unless you are carefully following the specific webcomic drama that clings to each individual artist, it can be hard to tell which forum is dead and which is just resting. I would be very reluctant to lock any of the "inactive" forums without the specific request of the forum's originator.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kisai on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:30 am

bunnyThor wrote:
Kisai wrote:If they aren't actively moderated and just being a spam magnet I could lock them.

Just because they are not being actively moderated doesn't mean they aren't be used.
And unless you are carefully following the specific webcomic drama that clings to each individual artist, it can be hard to tell which forum is dead and which is just resting. I would be very reluctant to lock any of the "inactive" forums without the specific request of the forum's originator.

I'd rather lock the ones that get nothing but spam for counterfeit merchandise since I don't believe anyone here would be so foolish to click on the links, but they cause search engine "optimizers" to raise the profile of such sites selling that rubbish if they index the forums.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby bunnyThor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:38 am

Kisai wrote:
bunnyThor wrote:
Kisai wrote:If they aren't actively moderated and just being a spam magnet I could lock them.

Just because they are not being actively moderated doesn't mean they aren't be used.

I'd rather lock the ones that get nothing but spam for counterfeit merchandise since I don't believe anyone here would be so foolish to click on the links, but they cause search engine "optimizers" to raise the profile of such sites selling that rubbish if they index the forums.

Well, you must do what you feel is right, of course, but I'd suggest at least trying to contact the artist first. I don't know exactly what was the problem leading to the latest mass-exodus of long-time strips (CRFH, GPF, Nukees), but I imagine that even a good-intended stepping on toes might further exacerbate any remaining discontent.

Whatever. It's your call. Good luck. :rootbeer:
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kisai on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:45 am

bunnyThor wrote: I don't know exactly what was the problem leading to the latest mass-exodus of long-time strips (CRFH, GPF, Nukees), but I imagine that even a good-intended stepping on toes might further exacerbate any remaining discontent.

Hit the last entry:
http://superosity.com/keenspotblog/arch ... wsarc.html

Also it's on Nukee's front page
http://www.nukees.com/

http://www.gpf-comics.com/news/archive.php?d=20080303
Jeff wanted to keep a subscriber premium model as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure the entire story behind CRFH moving
http://maritzac.livejournal.com/97498.html
but there were two other issues Maritza was having that had nothing to do with Keenspot at the same time, which a little while later a moderator for her forums went and deleted everything from the role playing forum.

There are probably other reasons other than what was made public for them leaving, but I had no part of it. Please understand that not 'all' the keenspot comics are physically hosted on the keenspot servers. It is cheaper for several people to pay for one source of bandwidth than it is for several independent sources. If your comic, by yourself you can pay for it's own hosting purely from money you make from the comic (either ads, or merchandise or donations) and you prefer to do all the site work and maintenance yourself, then it's not a requirement to be part of something larger. Both Gav and Jeff have the technical knowhow to operate independently, and go in any direction they want.

Others may not know, or care, to know the technical inner workings of servers and websites and would rather draw. That's why Dan doesn't do admin work anymore (as far as I know.)

Forums, by themselves are a huge timesink, both in maintenance and useage. Popular forums (for whatever reason) can also easily be an influence on the comic creator mentally. So people who go trolling forums here for their lulz are not welcome. If the only reason the forum still exists is for trolls to organize harassment, then I'd rather lock it. If it's full of spam, I'd rather lock it. I'm not going to micromanage the forums, if the moderators can not control the problem, or have abandoned it, that's it. I know you like to visit and have the last post in a lot of the seemingly abandoned forums. If you see a problem, please report it, otherwise I'm going to assume there are no problems.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby bunnyThor on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Fair enough.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I've noticed that links like this often don't work. (You get that link by clicking on the little page image just under the post title, in case you don't know.) That particular one seems to work, but here's one that doesn't. It should link to the following post, which is near the bottom of page 3561 of that thread:
PixelHead777 wrote:Natalie nods, saying "Mmhmm."

Nathan was slightly taken aback, but shook it off. He walked over to Fritz and said "You must know Kalin really well, huh?"

I suppose it could have something to do with the length of the thread, and I don't know if it's possible for you to fix it, but it's somewhat annoying at times.

Edit: While I'm here, I'd like to mention that there are numerous requests in this thread that, as far as I know, have not been implemented. Nor have any of the administrators said that they won't happen.
Image Image Image Image
Fire pentacle from xtremepyro; resized by Tyris
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:33 am

Celtic Minstrel wrote:I've noticed that links like this often don't work. (You get that link by clicking on the little page image just under the post title, in case you don't know.) That particular one seems to work, but here's one that doesn't. It should link to the following post, which is near the bottom of page 3561 of that thread:
PixelHead777 wrote:Natalie nods, saying "Mmhmm."

Nathan was slightly taken aback, but shook it off. He walked over to Fritz and said "You must know Kalin really well, huh?"

I suppose it could have something to do with the length of the thread, and I don't know if it's possible for you to fix it, but it's somewhat annoying at times.

Edit: While I'm here, I'd like to mention that there are numerous requests in this thread that, as far as I know, have not been implemented. Nor have any of the administrators said that they won't happen.

If the thread existed before the server change over, it likely doesn't have a point of reference in the database. That or it's just simply to long. In order to get a point of reference the server either has to count forwards or backwards, so if the internally defined value is something like 50, that's only going to permalink the last page. I find it annoying in emails because I don't know what post was added, but otherwise I wind up reading from the point it does enter forward. Technically the # part is up to the web browser, if it can not find it in the thread, then it will not automatically jump down.

As for features requested:
strikethrough I added months ago
Search works
I'm not moving the avatars to the left, after doing this on the CG forums and breaking all sorts of things doing it, I'm not going to do it again, love the new style or send me a new one that does it properly. This style does NOT do it properly. People were flipping out more that the text was disappearing under the avatar and stuff.
sig lenght/links/quote pyramids, not fixing because it's not broken. if your sig is bigger than the ad up top, it's too big.
I'm not getting any reports about anything else broken
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 am

Kisai wrote:If the thread existed before the server change over, it likely doesn't have a point of reference in the database. That or it's just simply to long. In order to get a point of reference the server either has to count forwards or backwards, so if the internally defined value is something like 50, that's only going to permalink the last page. I find it annoying in emails because I don't know what post was added, but otherwise I wind up reading from the point it does enter forward. Technically the # part is up to the web browser, if it can not find it in the thread, then it will not automatically jump down.
In other words, there's nothing you can do about it?

Kisai wrote:strikethrough I added months ago
I knew about that one... and spoiler was added too. I also suggested subscript, superscript, and acronym.

Kisai wrote:I'm not moving the avatars to the left, after doing this on the CG forums and breaking all sorts of things doing it, I'm not going to do it again, love the new style or send me a new one that does it properly. This style does NOT do it properly. People were flipping out more that the text was disappearing under the avatar and stuff.
What about subsilver2, which comes as part of the phpBB package? At least, it comes with the full package.

Clearly I exaggerated when I said there were numerous suggestions in that thread that were not implemented. The only major one not implemented is the installation of the subsilver2 skin (and if you truly don't have it, I could probably send it to you), and the only other ones not implemented were some of my BBCode extension suggestions.

Also, just in case this person actually thinks to check here, and for general information...
azrael_2001 wrote:And further into the random; quote-links. Another vBulletin feature that falls into the "it would be nice..." category: Some way to integrate the post number you are quoting from into the quote tag such that the quote (or the little double quote-mark image) links back to the original post for reference purposes.
As you can see from this example, it's already possible, and in fact was possible even back in phpBB2.

Kisai wrote:Search works
Does this mean that all posts have been re-indexed?

Kisai wrote:sig lenght/links/quote pyramids, not fixing because it's not broken. if your sig is bigger than the ad up top, it's too big.
I'm not complaining about that. :D
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 am

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:If the thread existed before the server change over, it likely doesn't have a point of reference in the database. That or it's just simply to long. In order to get a point of reference the server either has to count forwards or backwards, so if the internally defined value is something like 50, that's only going to permalink the last page. I find it annoying in emails because I don't know what post was added, but otherwise I wind up reading from the point it does enter forward. Technically the # part is up to the web browser, if it can not find it in the thread, then it will not automatically jump down.
In other words, there's nothing you can do about it?

There is nothing I can do about it as relies on the post count of the thread, if someone has deleted a post somewhere along the line, then it's not going to know what page the anchor is on. That's all I really know about it, if you want to see it fixed goto the phpbb3 site and see if it's reported there anywere. Unless it's the result of missing data here, it's not something I'm ever going to find time to fix.

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:strikethrough I added months ago
I knew about that one... and spoiler was added too. I also suggested subscript, superscript, and acronym.

I don't really see where sub/sup are useful, and I'm not sure what code 'acronym' would use. If you can make a case for how these can be useful I'll reconsider. I find strike is used and isn't default.

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:I'm not moving the avatars to the left, after doing this on the CG forums and breaking all sorts of things doing it, I'm not going to do it again, love the new style or send me a new one that does it properly. This style does NOT do it properly. People were flipping out more that the text was disappearing under the avatar and stuff.
What about subsilver2, which comes as part of the phpBB package? At least, it comes with the full package.

Like I said, after the pain it was to make things work on the CG forums I'm not really wanting to setup any new themes unless they come at the request of the keenspot comic owners. It was hard enough to reverse engineer the phpbb2 colour theme into the phpbb3 colour theme for subsilver for CG and people still complained.

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:Search works
Does this mean that all posts have been re-indexed?

Yes unless the system is being killed by search load in which it will offline the search. It's using the native fulltext. That is what took the forums down for hours sometime back in, oh may I think it was.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 am

Kisai wrote:I don't really see where sub/sup are useful, and I'm not sure what code 'acronym' would use. If you can make a case for how these can be useful I'll reconsider. I find strike is used and isn't default.
Well, superscript and subscript would mostly be useful for simple mathematical equations — I'm not sure if there's anyone here who actually would need that. Subscript could also be used for footnotes — sometimes people use that. As for acronym... the bbcode would be [acronym=Title Text]Some Text[/acronym] and the corresponding HTML would be <acronym title="Title Text">Some Text</acronym>. Or you could call it [abbr] and use the <abbr> HTML tag. It's used to add a mouseover "tooltip" on some text, usually providing more information or an expansion of an acronym (and it could also be used to create something like footnotes, except they appear on mouseover rather than below the main text). I remember seeing people use it on the old forum, which is part of the reason I'm requesting it.

Kisai wrote:Like I said, after the pain it was to make things work on the CG forums I'm not really wanting to setup any new themes unless they come at the request of the keenspot comic owners. It was hard enough to reverse engineer the phpbb2 colour theme into the phpbb3 colour theme for subsilver for CG and people still complained.
Wait... does that mean you won't add any more skins?

I don't really care about the colours, though — it's the layout of subsilver2 that I like.
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:52 pm

As long as we're considering new forum options, some kind of [table] code would be great if you can find one. Admittedly, I am one of those people who has a lolhueg sig, but I'd really like if I could arrange my stuff so that it doesn't take up so much vertical space, and some kind of code to make tables would let me fiddle with line breaks and how stuff wraps, and that would be immensely helpful. I hope that made sense. :-?
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:38 am

Or a [columns] tag like in phantom-inker's NBBC parser. Though I'm not quite sure if the forum's BBCode extensions will allow you to create codes without a closing tag...
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 am

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:I don't really see where sub/sup are useful, and I'm not sure what code 'acronym' would use. If you can make a case for how these can be useful I'll reconsider. I find strike is used and isn't default.
Well, superscript and subscript would mostly be useful for simple mathematical equations — I'm not sure if there's anyone here who actually would need that. Subscript could also be used for footnotes — sometimes people use that. As for acronym... the bbcode would be [acronym=Title Text]Some Text[/acronym] and the corresponding HTML would be <acronym title="Title Text">Some Text</acronym>. Or you could call it [abbr] and use the <abbr> HTML tag. It's used to add a mouseover "tooltip" on some text, usually providing more information or an expansion of an acronym (and it could also be used to create something like footnotes, except they appear on mouseover rather than below the main text). I remember seeing people use it on the old forum, which is part of the reason I'm requesting it.

I'm still not seeing the use for it, could you link me to an example? Adding 'buttons'/'bbcode' is risky since some will break the actual bbcode parser.

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:Like I said, after the pain it was to make things work on the CG forums I'm not really wanting to setup any new themes unless they come at the request of the keenspot comic owners. It was hard enough to reverse engineer the phpbb2 colour theme into the phpbb3 colour theme for subsilver for CG and people still complained.
Wait... does that mean you won't add any more skins?

I don't really care about the colours, though — it's the layout of subsilver2 that I like.

The table layout though is extremely hard to adjust and I think the keenspot theme may have been thrown away with the old forum (don't quote me on that), eg I don't have a reference point. I'm not sure if there is much demand for an alternate theme , but none the less I'm not too fond of having to maintain one, let alone two themes. Perhaps if one of the keenspot authors piped up and demanded an alternate theme I might be able to justify it. I think the system is just forcing this theme regardless of internal variables.

ChroniclerC wrote:As long as we're considering new forum options, some kind of [table] code would be great if you can find one. Admittedly, I am one of those people who has a lolhueg sig, but I'd really like if I could arrange my stuff so that it doesn't take up so much vertical space, and some kind of code to make tables would let me fiddle with line breaks and how stuff wraps, and that would be immensely helpful. I hope that made sense. :-?

Ugh, I lothe the sigs that are higher than 60 pixels. What is with users that want to stick 50 ads in their sig? IMO, you should only have three, max.
1) The comic you come to the forums to read
2) One for your site if you have one
3) And one for whatever "role" you play in that forum. For most forum users that should be the typical "who am I" or favorite character.

Given not everyone has their own site and it's redundant with the profile information, but who actually clicks on the profile information?

I'll also tolerate a 'button strip' of images that fit in the same 768x60 space. So far I think most have been reasonable, but if your sig is longer than your average post, please ax it. We do have people who read the forums for whatever reason on dialup, iPhone/iPod's and mobile phone browsers. nearly all the webcomics in the world are unusable on mobile devices and I'm not too worried about that.

(And no, I'll not be banning anyone for ignoring this, I can just clamp down in the phpBB settings if things get obnoxious.)
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 am

Kisai wrote:I'm still not seeing the use for it, could you link me to an example? Adding 'buttons'/'bbcode' is risky since some will break the actual bbcode parser.
Does the example have to be on this forum? Because I could probably find an example on a different forum much easier, considering that it's been disabled here for a while. Perhaps the XKCD forums, which use the same software.

That said, I could find one on this forum, for the acronym tag at least, if I do a bit of hunting.

But I don't get why it's so risky. Why would it break the bbcode parser? Unless you do something wrong...

Kisai wrote:The table layout though is extremely hard to adjust and I think the keenspot theme may have been thrown away with the old forum (don't quote me on that), eg I don't have a reference point. I'm not sure if there is much demand for an alternate theme , but none the less I'm not too fond of having to maintain one, let alone two themes. Perhaps if one of the keenspot authors piped up and demanded an alternate theme I might be able to justify it. I think the system is just forcing this theme regardless of internal variables.
I don't think the table layout would have to be adjusted that much... wouldn't you just have to insert the ads above the tables? I'm not sure whether you would be able to use anything from the old keenspot theme anyway...

P.S. I heard somewhere that Dan Shive was making a new theme, but nothing seems to have come of that...
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, I get it. You hate big signatures. Which is why I was trying to propose a way to make smaller, at least in the vertical sense. I hang out in Mayhem, land of the huge sigs, and even I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the size of mine. Since I apparently fail at descriptions, here's an example of what I was trying to describe (and what I wish I could do with my sig to make it smaller).

ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kisai on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:50 am

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Kisai wrote:I'm still not seeing the use for it, could you link me to an example? Adding 'buttons'/'bbcode' is risky since some will break the actual bbcode parser.
Does the example have to be on this forum? Because I could probably find an example on a different forum much easier, considering that it's been disabled here for a while. Perhaps the XKCD forums, which use the same software.

That said, I could find one on this forum, for the acronym tag at least, if I do a bit of hunting.

But I don't get why it's so risky. Why would it break the bbcode parser? Unless you do something wrong...

Most of the security holes in phpBB have been discovered by manipulating BBcode, which is why phpBB3 doesn't allow raw html at all, there is simply too many ways to "break" the bbcode. So if it's a single tag, eg <tag></tag> that has a start and an end it's doable, but if it involves something more complicated, then it becomes dangerous. I just don't want to add things unless people want them because unmaintained feature creep causes bugs.

ChroniclerC wrote:Yes, I get it. You hate big signatures. Which is why I was trying to propose a way to make smaller, at least in the vertical sense. I hang out in Mayhem, land of the huge sigs, and even I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the size of mine. Since I apparently fail at descriptions, here's an example of what I was trying to describe (and what I wish I could do with my sig to make it smaller).

I still don't see the purpose of that. And that particular layout would require a lot of code to accomplish, so no, not a good idea. As far as I'm concerned, those buttons should all be cut in half width wise. IT would make more sense to remove the text from all of those and use alt-text. The Personality info thing is just overkill for a sig, sites want you to put those things everywhere, but really they are supposed to go on a web page, not a forum sig. The Vote for EGS is probably redundant considering the forum you are on. Anyway I'm not you and there isn't a pitchfork and torch mob after the people with long sigs so I'm not going to do anything at this point. Though the thought has crossed my mind that allowing flash would be a better more efficient use for such things because then flash can be turned off on a per forum basis... I think. I'll have to research that. 12KB flash file vs half a meg in images... hmm.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Kisai wrote:
Celtic Minstrel wrote:Does the example have to be on this forum? Because I could probably find an example on a different forum much easier, considering that it's been disabled here for a while. Perhaps the XKCD forums, which use the same software.

Most of the security holes in phpBB have been discovered by manipulating BBcode, which is why phpBB3 doesn't allow raw html at all, there is simply too many ways to "break" the bbcode. So if it's a single tag, eg <tag></tag> that has a start and an end it's doable, but if it involves something more complicated, then it becomes dangerous. I just don't want to add things unless people want them because unmaintained feature creep causes bugs.
Well, acronym is just a simple translation from BBCode to HTML — the acronym tag already exists in HTML. Likewise for subscript and superscript. Another idea would be a tag that basically translates to the HTML tt tag.
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Kisai wrote:I still don't see the purpose of that. And that particular layout would require a lot of code to accomplish, so no, not a good idea.

Not really. It would only take two tables, each with two columns and one row. I could do it in HTML if I remembered how the <table> tag works.

As far as I'm concerned, those buttons should all be cut in half width wise. IT would make more sense to remove the text from all of those and use alt-text.

The problem with that is that no one looks for alt-text unless they already know it's there, and I don't think you even can do alt-text with the [img] tag. And also, that particular size (200x40) button is kind of a EGS/Mayhem thing.

The Personality info thing is just overkill for a sig, sites want you to put those things everywhere, but really they are supposed to go on a web page, not a forum sig.

That's probably going to get culled if I can't at least convince you to change the image height limit to 100 pix instead of 90. I know it doesn't sound like much, but 100 is as small as I can get it via self-editing short of using the resize tool (which looked really bad). Besides, an allowance of 100 pix would let us show off most of our old avatars if one was so inclined. ... Please? Image

The Vote for EGS is probably redundant considering the forum you are on.

You'd be supprised. ;)

Anyway I'm not you and there isn't a pitchfork and torch mob after the people with long sigs so I'm not going to do anything at this point. Though the thought has crossed my mind that allowing flash would be a better more efficient use for such things because then flash can be turned off on a per forum basis... I think. I'll have to research that. 12KB flash file vs half a meg in images... hmm.

Tha'd be cool. You can do you really nice stuff with Flash if I can find somewhere to host it. Anyway, thanks for at least hearing me out.
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:09 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:
Kisai wrote:I still don't see the purpose of that. And that particular layout would require a lot of code to accomplish, so no, not a good idea.

Not really. It would only take two tables, each with two columns and one row. I could do it in HTML if I remembered how the <table> tag works.
It wouldn't be too hard to create a tag that creates columns. Actually it would require two tags. Unfortunately phpBB does not allow tags without a closing counterpart, so you can't mimick the NBBC columns tag, but you can do something similar. The outer tag would translate to <table><tr>{TEXT}</tr></table> in HTML, and the inner tag would translate to <td>{TEXT}</td>. But you may have something against creating tags that use tables...

ChroniclerC wrote:I don't think you even can do alt-text with the [img] tag.
No, you can't, but it would certainly be possible to add a BBcode tag that does allow for images with alt-text.

Or did Kisai mean title-text, like a tooltip? If so, an acronym tag would fit the bill. Though you could, if you prefer, call it "tooltip" instead, and then [tooltip={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/tooltip] would probably be best translated as <span title="{TEXT1}">{TEXT2}</span>.
Image Image Image Image
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bunnyThor on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:27 am

Just a point of reference for the sig-haters: There is an option in your User Control Panel which hides all sigs.

I use it and adore it.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kisai on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 am

ChroniclerC wrote:

Yes but the problem is how the web browser interprets it. When a web browser comes to a table with out fixed widths, it stops the entire processing of the page until the contents of the table have been determined.

Celtic Minstrel wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:I don't think you even can do alt-text with the [img] tag.
No, you can't, but it would certainly be possible to add a BBcode tag that does allow for images with alt-text.

Or did Kisai mean title-text, like a tooltip? If so, an acronym tag would fit the bill. Though you could, if you prefer, call it "tooltip" instead, and then [tooltip={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/tooltip] would probably be best translated as <span title="{TEXT1}">{TEXT2}</span>.

w
It's possible to modify existing bbcode, but that's getting too far ahead.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Sqauto on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Keenspot Central