Dropdown Ads

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Re: Dropdown Ads

Postby Chris Crosby on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Looks like it's coming from ADSDAQ.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby Eiden on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:30 pm

There were a few that kind of 'walked' onto the bottom of the screen that were not circuit city, but unhelpfully I can not remember what they were advertising.

(they remained blank boxes for a while)
Eiden
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:44 am

Ironically, this thread had a Circuit City (I think) ad when I opened it. The ad had a couple of Wii controllers that dropped down into the main part of the page.

I really logged in to complain about an ad I just saw on Al's Poisoned Minds site. This one did just about all of the classic "no nos". It hid the whole window I was using, and popped up a window that looked like a Windoze alert with slightly-fractured English. Clicking anything in the window (Cancel, the close box) brought back the main window and redirected me to a bogus "virus scanning" page, which then attempted to install software on my computer.

The site that it took me to was this:
Code: Select all
http://antivirusfastscanner.com/2009/1/en/_freescan.php?nu=77075616

I believe that the page above contains malware, do not visit it without proper precautions!!!

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby oliverb on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 am

Sadly I think "flash" content has got too powerfull for use as a simple animation format, and in the near future it may have to be treated as executable code with "This content has been blocked to protect your computer" warnings replacing your ad banners. As an advertising medium it may require a level of trust between the advertiser and content provider that is just not practical with the current pay-per-click business model.
oliverb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Flash is already virtually executable (you write code in ActionScript; it's quite a bit like JavaScript) and plugins such as Noscript for Firefox do actually block it by default.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sam on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:26 pm

A fantastic quantity of sites — webcomic sites especially, right now — are being hammered with compromised advertisers that are infecting computers. People are beginning to default to the use of adblocks as a necessary precaution.

I do not actually allow flash ads on any computer I own anymore. Two of my employers make flash content blocking/adblocking mandatory. It is among the easiest and widest exploited vulnerabilities on the internet today. It's also becoming readily apparent that plenty of sites have limited or spotty control over what their advertisers put on their sites; a frequent issue (seen here) is that the ad hosters says 'no dropdown ads, etc' and the ad providers go 'okay, we agree!' and then dropdown ads get put on there anyway, no matter how reliably the content host complains.

So, just eff-why-eye, it's piling people onto the adblock wagon and helping stick a fork into the pay-per-click model. The recent controversy over flash ads are actually turning it into a matter of executive concern for duders like Keenspot
Sam
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Not that something along these lines hasn't already been said, but the only time I use AdBlocker is when the ads have a major negative impact upon my browsing (be that impact malware, slowing down the load times, or simply being really annoying). If whomever's in charge of keeping the ads from getting in my way can't be arsed to do their job (and whomever would be in charge of firing that person/company hasn't done so), then I have no absolutely no problem with denying the ad revenue the same way I have no problem with returning a faulty product and demanding cash.

Just sayin'.
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kisai on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:46 am

[quote="ChroniclerC" but the only time I use AdBlocker is when the ads have a major negative impact upon my browsing (be that impact malware, slowing down the load times, or simply being really annoying). [/quote]

So 100% of the time then?

Please look at the other side of the coin before blocking things. It is completely possible for sites to force you to view the ads, then you have to make the choice of viewing the ads and the content, or having neither. If it is practical (just look at how spam and anti-spam has evolved in email) or not is left entirely up to sites that rely on ad revenue alone or only as supplements. If ad revenue drops below a certain point, the site is either forced to close up due to expenses exceeding income, which is then denying you all future content. Or the site may become subscription only to force costs to go down.
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Thy Brilliance on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:06 am

I don't block anything.

However, no matter how hard these ads try, I will never click on "Asthma Kid Care" for moms just like me.

What kinda demographic do you think we are?
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:37 am

I'm on good cable internet. I can load most Keenforum pages in a few seconds, and keep in mind that I hail from Mayhem, where massive (and often times, animated) sig images are the norm. If the ad is so massive that it causes slowdown issues, there is a problem.

Now, I don't adblock all over Keenspot, just the ad providers that give me problems. I have never had to block the internal Keenspot ads nor the Project Wonderful ads that many of the comic sites sport.
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Eiden on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Fark got hit by vundo infected flash ads in rotation and people are now recommending that flash ads be considered technologica non grata on any site, especially the ones that have a reputation of being unable to control their ad content.
Eiden
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Eiden wrote:Fark got hit by vundo infected flash ads in rotation and people are now recommending that flash ads be considered technologica non grata on any site, especially the ones that have a reputation of being unable to control their ad content.

Joy, sounds like this cruft getting through ad networks just is going to cause more backlash from the sites they advertise on to have controls over the ads shown.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Eiden on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:15 pm

That's optimistic, but the practical effect is that adblockers are just getting more common and more frequently recommended among peers, and they're losing their stigma as they become a matter of pragmatic home computer defense.
Eiden
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tim Tylor on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 am

Is there a "proper procedure" for reporting individual bad ads? Should we just post in the forum, or e-mail or pm someone? And are there any IDs we should look for on the ads? There were references to "hidden numbers" in older threads, but I can't find any on the present banners.
Icon art by Thomas K Dye who mightily rocks

"That which does not kill us, makes us poorly"
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kisai on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 am

Tim Tylor wrote:Is there a "proper procedure" for reporting individual bad ads? Should we just post in the forum, or e-mail or pm someone? And are there any IDs we should look for on the ads? There were references to "hidden numbers" in older threads, but I can't find any on the present banners.

You would need firebug in firefox, or similar debugging software in the web browser
report1.png
report1.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 4728 times

report2.png
report2.png (29.46 KiB) Viewed 4729 times

Note that you need to have some idea what the ad is. It's usually the very last item in the list, but it may be chained through multiple advertisers. For malware, it might actually be anywhere along the line. In firebug, select the 'net' tab, 'js' tab, and then click the + for the second-to-last item and go up. Other scripts on the page may change the order. But generally, the point at which it leaves keenspot's control is at bid.openx.org
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Previous

Return to Keenspot Central