Dropdown Ads

General discussion!

Moderators: Kisai, Chris Crosby

Forum rules
Keenspot is not responsible for content posted by members of the forum.

Dropdown Ads

Postby Casual Notice on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:14 am

I may be the only one to be bothered, but is there anything you can do about the recent plague of dropdown ads? I find them annoying in ways that standard popups don't even approach. And they don't make me want to click on the parent banner, or try their product, or do anything but click away to a less obnoxious site.
The savior of billions (Norman Borlaug) dying barely rated a mention in the news this year. Farrah Fawcett wore a bikini well back in the 70s and she got international coverage. Good job, society.
--Lisa Skye Ioannidis
Casual Notice
Keenspot Despot

Re: Dropdown Ads

Postby damp_dave on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 am

I agree-- "Imagine the Impossibilities" is simply obnoxious. Hopefully "getting rid of those f***ing ads" is not one of those impossibilities.

Ads are all fine an good, but when they immediately cover up most of the actual content on the page, it's time to s**tcan them.

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby macclint on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 am

I'm with you. I thought this must be a Burst Ad, so i tried to shut it off at my site, but it seems to be All over Keenspot.

I don;t know who, if anyone, is moderating this forum anymore now that GAV is leaving, but hopefully someone will notice.
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby KEZ on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Yeah, that ad is HELLA annoying.
Part of the Xylia Team
ImageImageImage
KEZ
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Grim Atescu on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Agreed; the "Imagine the Impossibilities" ad, at least, should be removed. Any other ads that drop down only do so when clicked on or rolled over, and so can be easily avoided (at least from what I've seen).
This is my sig. It is cute. --> @_ *wai!*
The sig likes cookies. --> c@_ *nom*
You will give it cookies, or it will steal your soul. --> @/ *rar*
Beware the cuteness of the sig!
===
"And YOU, Grim, write adorable honeymoon scenes." - VOR
Grim Atescu
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sam on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Man, this place is the equivalent of a bust town these days.
Sam
Keenspot Deity

Postby Chris Crosby on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:00 pm

The ad comes from provider Gorilla Nation, and on July 1st we requested it be removed or limited to one view per user. They responded saying it would be removed, so it should be soon. In any case, that particular campaign ends on July 15th.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby Thy Brilliance on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:08 am

Seriously, come on.

Five times in a row....
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Canterrain on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

They already said it's going to be removed. But these things aren't instantaneous, not to mention it's the weekend. Business doesn't occur during that period for most places. It'll most likely be gone by monday.
So a little patience won't harm anyone. :D
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby carsonfire on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 pm

More ads, not less!

Personally, I'm working behind-the-scenes on some technology that would allow us to insert a "panel ad" right between pre-existing panels in a webcomic, using PHP and the GD library. It would detect the last panel, read its dimensions, shift it to the right (if it's a horizontal comic, down if it's a vertical comic), then insert an ad the same size right before it.

The really tough part is getting the routine right that creates the image map, to make the ad clickable. There doesn't seem to be any way of permanently attaching the link without going the Flash route.

The great thing about this is that since the ad will be physically part of the comic strip, there's no way the ad can be blocked! :D
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

IN GENERAL

Postby Thy Brilliance on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:05 pm

People always seem to find ways to do it though.
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Komiyan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Pretty please don't use adblockers, ads pay for our food and rent and other things :( But always report an awful ad like the impossbilities one and we'll get rid.
Komiyan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Thy Brilliance on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:20 pm

I wouldn't be complaining if I did.

But I make a point of never clicking on a flash ad that uses sound, or roll over/dropdown.
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Arantor on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:28 am

Just to say, inserting an ad into the comic itself (especially adding the image map etc) isn't the easiest thing in the world so pulling it off would be pretty clever. However if you start doing anything as clever as inserting the ads into the picture itself, one of two things will happen:

1. Readers will go away, fed up with the ads being more in their face.

2. Users will turn to FF/Opera and their extensibility. FF's Greasemonkey in particular could do some funky CSS styling and simply resize the image without you even knowing it's happening. All that'd happen then is you'd be paying for the additional bandwidth being used for the image and not seeing the revenue.

If you can find a way to defeat these two problems, great, I'm all for it. I just think you're going to have serious trouble and/or defection to other networks/self hosting.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby carsonfire on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Hiya, Arantor!

Heh, please don't hit me--but I was just playing. I didn't know if anybody would take me seriously or not. :D
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby bunnyThor on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 pm

carsonfire wrote:Heh, please don't hit me--but I was just playing. I didn't know if anybody would take me seriously or not. :D

You've evinced some pretty...divergent views before. I couldn't tell if you were serious or not. :-|
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby carsonfire on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:00 am

Divergence leads to creativity, so, uh, thanks, I guess. :D

I sometimes forget that I've acquired a reputation for being a jerk, so I guess my proclivity for making up light-hearted stories doesn't go over so well.

Or is it the proclivity for making up stories that makes me a jerk? :D

No, I forgot, I've got a list...

But, seriously, in my defense, I am certainly not ad-mad. What I would really like to see is some method of dropping them, or at least severely lessening their interference with the pages. My current RSS feed has the full comic, in experimentation mode, although I will soon be switching to a scaled-down version. I am not a big fan of the way ads are implemented on the web, at all.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Canterrain on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:44 am

See there's a spectrum of problems involved when it comes to things like dropdown ads and ads with sound.

It all starts with what for the people giving out the money (advertisers) is a major problem. Ads must fight for prominence.

When you're watching tv, commercial time is exactly that. Commercial time. When nothing but advertisements for products is seen without distraction. The majority of people are too lazy (or some other reason such as not wanting to miss when the show comes back) to flip channels for the few minutes the show is not on to find something else to watch that they won't get to finish. So commercial times have Prominent placing, and are viewed by many. (Though the advent of TiVo and similar devices have caused problems here).

This is not true of the Web. There are no commercial times (not counting awesome sites like Hulu). It is much closer to a newspaper like setup. Where ads much be inserted with what the person is actually there for, and since it competes with what the viewer really wants to look at, must be eye catching.

But the problem is further made worse by the owners of websites. Newpspaers can afford to and even want to make ads very prominent that stick out. Whole page ads make a large amount of money for instance. But the same does not hold true of websites. In fact they seek to appease their audience, so they try to put the ads into an out of way place as possible. They want the content to pop, and the ads to not detract.

This makes ads harder and harder to be seen. And the rise of CPM (That's cost per impression) as opposed to CPC (cost per click) makes things even harder on advertisers. They no longer pay for successful ads. They pay for a set amount of times the ad is seen by someone, regardless of whether it is ever clicked. Theoretically, you could pay to put out 10,000 ads, and not have a single click. Wasting your money entirely. (at least in the advertiser's view)

So advertisers are in some way forced by the website owners and the audience to take measures to be seen and heard. We have only ourselves to blame people. We want content, and we want it for free, and we want it without pesky annoying ads! But that only creates a void. Who then is paying the bills? This is in part why even advertising on the net is seeing a drop when no one ever thought it would.

Ads must be seen to have a chance of being followed. Placement isn't something advertisers can control all that much. Even above the scroll (that means you don't have to scroll down to view the ad) can be out of the way and easily ignored. So drop downs and audio is the first idea of an easy way to get noticed. It's relatively simple to do, and even if you are slightly annoyed you remember the ad better than if you had not noticed it at all.

If we want unobtrusive unannoying ads that are well placed, look nice, and fit in cleanly with websites. We have to be willing to accept and even look into ads. (Let alone NOT use ad blockers. :evil: ) But the viewership of the intartubes currently is not one that supports such thinking. So look for it only to get worse as advertisers continue to fight for your attention. Or look for the net to die as advertisers just give up and pull out. (that seems unlikely though)
Xylia Marketing Director - Image
Canterrain
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DeaExMachina on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:20 pm

So if an advertiser pays for a banner ad that is x*y, and the flash content spills over that dimension, does this not constitute a breach of contract? Does Keen-x get extra $$ for these adds? If not, are they not getting robbed?
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Eiden on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 am

the dropdown ads are getting invasive enough sometimes that i can not login without clicking 'close' on them.
Eiden
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Eiden wrote:the dropdown ads are getting invasive enough sometimes that i can not login without clicking 'close' on them.

Hmm

Technically, the ads shouldn't appear on the login and "thank you for posting" pages, but the way phpBB works requires a lot more editing than is worth doing between version updates.
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby PixelHead777 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:12 am

Well, technically, those ads shouldn't even exist... but then again, who am I to make a comment where I've never posted before.
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby Eiden on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:04 am

there are now ads that crawl across the screen and plant themselves in the bottom center of the window.

I am getting them very frequently now and the only respite I get is the "happy holidays from keenspot" ad. yikes!
Eiden
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chris Crosby on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 am

What are these ads for?
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby mdm on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Circuit City.
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut